Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Its just an observation. Should 5 people trapped/drowned in a sub get more press attention than 500 people drowning?
There wasn't much to discuss when the 500 were already dead.

This on the other hand:

Billionaire check
Titanic check
Cowboy CEO check
International rescue effort check
Father and son

It's no surprise this captured the attention it did.

Permabanned
Its just an observation. Should 5 people trapped/drowned in a sub get more press attention than 500 people drowning?

Probably because public sympathy is skewed for those that die knowingly committing a crime and those that may die during a risky, expensive but totally legal adventure in dramatic circumstances?

The media know their audience and try to provide the volume of coverage likely to generate the most profit.

Caporegime
I realise this is very tragic for the families and friends involved, but the amount of press coverage (multiple headline stories on the BBC front page all the time for the last few days etc), is really not sitting well with me.

Some rich people spent a lot of money to do a very risky thing and they have likely died doing it.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve an article or two, but the British press have made it into the most important thing going on in the world right now, and i think it kind of typifies a failing of our society and press somewhat.

Its human nature.
Migrants die all the time crossing the waters. But this is "exciting" and "unique" so it gets a hype train going.

Soldato
There wasn't much to discuss when the 500 were already dead.

This on the other hand:

Billionaire check
Titanic check
Cowboy CEO check
International rescue effort check
Father and son

It's no surprise this captured the attention it did.
Don't forget the step son of one of the billionaires who didn't want to lose his Blink 182 ticket so went to the gig in any case lol!

Soldato

Felt this article was a bit late in the day on the bbc. ‘health risks’ they’ll be 100% goners by lunchtime! It being a bit chilly down there was a problem for about 3 days ago!

Might as well have said they’ll have run out of toilet paper by now as well.

Soldato
Oh God I must have missed that.
GXbUSdQ.png

Soldato

Felt this article was a bit late in the day on the bbc. ‘health risks’ they’ll be 100% goners by lunchtime! It being a bit chilly down there was a problem for about 3 days ago!

Might as well have said they’ll have run out of toilet paper by now as well.
Maybe there was a fire and they've all been dead for days.

Soldato
Magellan group (the ones who recently fully 3D scanned the titanic and surrounding area with just about the most advanced deep dive sub going, ) finally gets the green light despite them being ready with boots on the ground from the start

bit bloody late now, will take almost 48hrs from leaving the channel islands to being able to dive so all that will be any good for is recovery, rather than attempting the rescue they could have gone for had they not been presented with bureaucracy from the get go.

edit sorry already posted, i missed it in the chat about border crossings and pop concerts!. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Magellan group (the ones who recently fully 3D scanned the titanic and surrounding area with just about the most advanced deep dive sub going, ) finally gets the green light despite them being ready with boots on the ground from the start

bit bloody late now, will take almost 48hrs from leaving the channel islands to being able to dive so all that will be any good for is recovery, rather than attempting the rescue they could have gone for had they not been presented with bureaucracy from the get go.

Sounds like the same idiots who thought that Peal Harbour was the British.

Back
Top Bottom