Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Is this the same thirty minute banging that the coast guard said they know nothing about in the press conference yesterday but which the media seem to be still reporting?
Theres no way its the sub

If you were down there you would be. Banging constantly wouldn’t you and not at 30 minute intervals

Caporegime
See the titanic, like out of a window, only from a tv screen… they could have just done that from the boat above and not put themselves at risk!

I was thinking this earlier.

Like, they are just stuck in a tin tube looking through a tiny window and/or screen.

The experience could be almost completely emulated by a simulation with the sub just staying put in a warehouse and playing a previous recording via the window and screen. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Theres no way its the sub

If you were down there you would be. Banging constantly wouldn’t you and not at 30 minute intervals

Not if you’re following a protocol which the ex French navy officer will be doing if he’s not brown bread.

There’s no confirmation of the banging at 30 min intervals. The media are reporting on it but no official word.

Associate
Certainly no hope in hell now, even if we found the location right now it's a few hours down and a few hours back up, and if the oxygen levels are to be believed it will be empty in a few hours, so unfortunately there is no survivors from this.

Man of Honour
I think personally, if I was a billionaire I'd be enjoying a life of luxury, not finding any possible way to end it early. So many more things that are amazing to do that don't involve you going to the bottom of the ocean in a bean can.

Always felt it a bit morbid to visit the Titanic in any case. We know what it looks like and treating it as a tourist attraction is just sad.

Soldato
I think personally, if I was a billionaire I'd be enjoying a life of luxury, not finding any possible way to end it early. So many more things that are amazing to do that don't involve you going to the bottom of the ocean in a bean can.

Always felt it a bit morbid to visit the Titanic in any case. We know what it looks like and treating it as a tourist attraction is just sad.
If someone can make money from something they will unfurtunately

Soldato

when rich flexing goes wrong

Caporegime

This. I can understand perhaps trying to find something new. However, going to see something for which there is already a massive amount of footage for that you can watch from the comfort and safety of your own home seems pointless.

It isnt like you can get out and touch it, feel the water etc! In sensory terms, a simulation of it would be 99% of the way there.

Last edited:
Soldato
This. I can understand perhaps trying to find something new. However, going to see something for which there is already a massive amount of footage for that you can watch from the comfort and safety of your own home seems pointless.

It isnt like you can get out and touch it, feel the water etc! In sensory terms, a simulation of it would be 99% of the way there.
I’m pretty sure with the visibility down there you basically have to be right near it to see anything. It’s not like you can park 100 meters away and take in the whole view…

Soldato
An instant death is far better than a slow suffocating one.

Also cannot imagine being stuck in that confined space for 4 days straight.

Agreed. My bet is that it was an implosion. A complete power loss would not have stopped it surfacing. Had it got caught on something, I'm sure they would have made more noise.

At over two tons per square inch, water is explosive. Death would have been instant. In fact, I really can't think of anything more instant. When you think that most pile drivers probably operate at less pressure than that....

Caporegime
IF they found it and it was just caught on something, and they could free it,cutting off any ballast ( would it not be possible to put an inflatable mat under it it would burst as it ascended but would kick start it) and then it would rise really quickly like i cork popping.

its not like it needs to ascend slowly so it could come up at a fair rate of knots couldnt it? (i could be talking utter crap however)

How are you going to use an inflatable mat with the pressures down there?

Looking back at it now the carbon fibre hull design was originally used in a previous sub and was scrapped in the end because it was only deemed safe for 1 dive due to the issues with using carbon fibre.

From wikipedia

"Based on testing at high pressure, the DeepFlight Challenger was determined to be suitable only for a single dive, not the repeated uses that had been planned as part of Virgin Oceanic service. As such, in 2014, Virgin Oceanic "scrapped" plans for the five dives project using the DeepFlight Challenger, as originally conceived, putting plans on hold until more suitable technologies are developed"

Okay Deepflight challenger was going to greater depths but the point still remains. All communications were lost at once which is the massive black flag because all of them to go at once would be a little odd to say the least. Everything went dark 1 hour 45 minutes into a 2 hour dive so they must have been close to the bottom. My guess is the carbon fibre had enough and they all got turned into sea food in a instant.

It could be plausible that a carbon fibre hull is a viable option but has to be replaced after every dive which is just not cost effective. With proper testing they would have found this out without the need of lives to be lost.

Last edited:
Soldato
An instant death is far better than a slow suffocating one.

Also cannot imagine being stuck in that confined space for 4 days straight.

Just talking about this now. We were wondering whether it would be better not to find them now. Rather live in hope they didn't suffer or find the vessel intact and know they spent their last days in terror.

Horrible for all involved. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom