Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Is this the same thirty minute banging that the coast guard said they know nothing about in the press conference yesterday but which the media seem to be still reporting?
Probably. However they were likely not wanting to speculate on it. It seems fairly clear the banging is happening but whether it’s the sub or not is not clear.

Soldato
Theres no way its the sub

If you were down there you would be. Banging constantly wouldn’t you and not at 30 minute intervals

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that banging on the hour and half passed the hour is done so you make a repeating pattern so it's known not to be something else. Which ultimately can help with locating it as the know they can ignore sounds at other times and focus all sonar on triangulating the hour/half passed signals.

However the 30 minute interval seems to be something made up* as, AFAIK, it's not been confirmed by anyone involved with the search. *though if it is the done thing, I wonder if someone in the press found the details and in the rush to get updates out conflated the what should happen with what is happening.

Soldato
I think personally, if I was a billionaire I'd be enjoying a life of luxury, not finding any possible way to end it early. So many more things that are amazing to do that don't involve you going to the bottom of the ocean in a bean can.

Always felt it a bit morbid to visit the Titanic in any case. We know what it looks like and treating it as a tourist attraction is just sad.

A fool and his money.
If I was a billionaire, I would have paid an expert to assess the sub, and I am pretty sure he would have advised against the trip.

Soldato
Agreed. My bet is that it was an implosion. A complete power loss would not have stopped it surfacing. Had it got caught on something, I'm sure they would have made more noise.

At over two tons per square inch, water is explosive. Death would have been instant. In fact, I really can't think of anything more instant. When you think that most pile drivers probably operate at less pressure than that....

Hate to say it but an implosion is the best we can hope for considering the time thats already elapsed. Chances of finding anyone still alive is grim, the mental trauma of getting out of that alive would be something to deal with IF they are found alive.

Soldato
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that banging on the hour and half passed the hour is done so you make a repeating pattern so it's known not to be something else. Which ultimately can help with locating it as the know they can ignore sounds at other times and focus all sonar on triangulating the hour/half passed signals.

However the 30 minute interval seems to be something made up* as, AFAIK, it's not been confirmed by anyone involved with the search. *though if it is the done thing, I wonder if someone in the press found the details and in the rush to get updates out conflated the what should happen with what is happening.

If its made up, thats some saddistic **** that someone is playing to get news clicks.

Caporegime
Just talking about this now. We were wondering whether it would be better not to find them now. Rather live in hope they didn't suffer or find the vessel intact and know they spent their last days in terror.

Horrible for all involved. :(
It would be better find they died instantly.
Worst would be to find it now with one person alive and the others not under suspicious circumstances.

Soldato
Fly Away Deep Ocean Salvage System (FADOSS)
When installed, FADOSS "is welded to the deck due to the structural requirements for the lift to support the weight of whatever object we're pulling off the bottom," they continued. "Our estimate is approximately 24 hours [of] around-the-clock operation to weld it and secure it to the deck of the vessel prior to getting underway."

Phoenix used the U.S. Navy’s 20,000 fsw rated CURV 21 ROV to inspect the wreckage and attach rigging to the aircraft. Next, a 22,000 ft long, 2-inch diameter Kevlar recovery line was lowered to the seabed and the ROV was used to connect the recovery line to the wreckage. The U.S. Navy’s FADOSS was then used to pull up on the Kevlar line, hoisting the MH-60 helicopter from the seafloor to the surface. After nearly 4 hours

Soldato
You'd think would have multiple methods to send signal if one didn't work? Or technology hasn't advanced enough ? in that case more reason not to do it :( till more advances are found

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s no confirmation of the banging at 30 min intervals. The media are reporting on it but no official word.

Yeah I picked up on this yesterday :(

I imagine the media have lied about the 30 min thing, to keep people engaged and clicking, when in fact they're most likely all dead.

Especially when the official guy in charge of the coastguard said "I don't know anything about any 30 min interval" :mad:

Soldato
You'd think would have multiple methods to send signal if one didn't work? Or technology hasn't advanced enough ? in that case more reason not to do it :( till more advances are found

Yeah - I can't believe they didn't have some sort of system that can float to the surface and give off SOS signals/beacons to the mothership/coastguard, if the sub gets into trouble..

If I was building that sub, it would absolutely be a top priority to have a system like that... If you can afford to build your own sub, you can afford to have a system like that..

Soldato
This whole rescue is a bit of an embarrassment for the US. If they can't find something that wants to be found what hope would they have from an adversary. The Co-founder and Chairman, Horizon Maritime Services said they had the best equipment in the world yesterday. Seems like a bunch of bs peddlers now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I was betting I'd still be betting that it was some catastrophic failure at the point they lost contact. Has always made the most sense. And would be the best outcome to find now.

Back
Top Bottom