Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
I think a lot of folks are underestimating undersea currents also. They could be hundreds of miles away from where they were by now. For example when MH370 went missing, debris was eventually found all the way as far as Africa.

I mean MH370 itself is a fine example of how hard it is to find something in the ocean. Years on they still haven't found the site.

I thought of that 2 days ago, but posted on another forum. But people who are searching know that there is no way they could search the whole Atlantic, they can only search a small area, which is already massive.

Yu5J0ld.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yea, the thing screams of amateur hour. If they took half as much care as NASA did sending an unmanned drone to Mars, they’d already be found.

We’re talking about human lives and they couldn’t be asked to even put a radio/transmitter on it, with at least 2 redundancies?
Maybe they should have taken their mobiles?

Permabanned
a radio? pretty sure radio waves dont travel through water

They do, not efficiently and only realistically at very low frequencies A good example of the sheer size and power of the transmitting stations required by the USA to contact submerged submarines is the one at Cutler, Maine. It's vast, the main aerial array covers a diameter of 1.16 miles, and it has it's own power station and mains feed to run it on 24kHz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, the thing screams of amateur hour. If they took half as much care as NASA did sending an unmanned drone to Mars, they’d already be found.

We’re talking about human lives and they couldn’t be asked to even put a radio/transmitter on it, with at least 2 redundancies?
STOP STIFLING THEIR INNOVATION!!!!11111 /s

It’s crazy, as I’ve already said previously in the thread, there’s many subs that have gone before and still operate that can do these dives thousands of times over. The research had already been done for them! But the CEO seemed hell bent on reinventing the wheel for some reason.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
People up above are forgetting that the depths of the oceans remain largely unexplored. We know more about space than we do our own oceans.

Some stats I recall from documentaries so had to look back up but less than 10% of the world’s ocean, and less than 50% of U.S. waters, have been mapped. Think about that for a sec and that tells you just how impossible it is to get to the depths needed to map the oceans on this planet. By contrast we have taken photographs of Super Earths in neighbouring galaxies and determined what kind of atmospheric composition they have and how to classify them.

Maybe it was in bits having some maintenance done, who knows.
It was ready and waiting ages ago, just the US gov had not permitted it to deploy. MPs etc were pushed to convince their US counterparts to get that paperwork signed off which.... well BBC article now updates on. It's all politics with the US, a whole lot of them in power simply don't care about lives of their own citizens let alone some international issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
the report on the BBC about the fisherman who has now got to the point he dreads pulling his nets now due to the amount of bodies he has pulled out, inc a baby hit me far harder personally.

Yeah, I saw that article too - very sad :(

5 people who have lived probably the least stressful and most cushy lives on the planet essentially committing suicide through stupidity vs hundreds of people whose lives are so **** that they feel the best option is to risk them for the remote chance of some slight improvement? I know which group gets my sympathy.

If the sub had different forms of communication and were all on the same power source then you have the plausible conclusion that the thing could have lost all power. If each form of communication was on a different power source or even switchable power source then an implosion seems far more likely. This is all theory and conjecture obviously but once you know how the thing is built you can put together a picture quite easily. At least I would hope so.

Someone posted a few pages back about an old sub which had a failsafe electromagnetic ballast, surely the same could be done with a beacon of some kind strapped to the outside? For bonus points, tether it to the sub with a few KM of strong fishing line, so once the beacon has been found, the sub can easily be located.

Commissario
Realistically, this is all over now. Even if they found them any time this morning, they were never going to get them to the surface in time.

It's now a recovery mission, not a rescue.

The news websites probably have their headlines all ready to roll at 12:08: "Titanic claims more victims".

Caporegime
Might it be possible to to create a system where usage of something like an LRAD that rotates/moves between four points as a means to triangulate with a mesh of sonar buoys on the surface or is that pointless?

Soldato
The beeb is reporting that Magellan, the Deep Sea Experts who have more knowledge of the Titanic area than anyone, have only just now been asked to send their ROV to the site.

Why have they waited until now?

I asked this earlier, seems the consensus is USA thought they could handle it by themselves. Unbelievable.

Caporegime
The beeb is reporting that Magellan, the Deep Sea Experts who have more knowledge of the Titanic area than anyone, have only just now been asked to send their ROV to the site.

Why have they waited until now?
We should have done what the French do and ignored Washington, but as usual ever servile.

The guy in charge yesterday said they were using the best and most appropriate assets as they were and became available.

You cant have every ship and ROV in the world all milling about in the same space.

I was reading about the previous sub that got stuck there. I had kind of assumed that at that depth the currents would be quite low, but apparantly not and they got stcuk because of a current that pushed them into one of the props.

Commissario
This whole rescue is a bit of an embarrassment for the US. If they can't find something that wants to be found what hope would they have from an adversary. The Co-founder and Chairman, Horizon Maritime Services said they had the best equipment in the world yesterday. Seems like a bunch of bs peddlers now.
Military subs, especially missile and attack ones tend to go at around 500m max depth (IIRC officially usually around half that*), they also are much larger (20-30x in length and about ten times as wide) and have all sorts of equipment on board, along with dozens/hundreds of crew all of which makes noise (they invest massively in trying to keep that down).
Even at just a couple of hundred meters there can be several layers of water at different temperature etc from memory, and each of those can affect how well sound travels, which means that it's much easier to find something if you're on the same layer as it (which is quite important in both underwater warfare and finding something).

At 4km down in a sub without any real active noise other than the occupants deliberately making an effort it's going to be several orders of magnitude harder to find than an actively moving sub with a screw and all sorts of things like air pumps, ballast being shifted, cooling etc, all operating in relatively shallow water.

Looking for anything in the ocean is hard unless you either know quite precisely where it is, it's very big, or it's doing something that makes it easier to find, like making a noise that is either loud enough to be heard from a distance or you're close enough to pick it out of the background, or unusual enough and obvious enough to pick out of other noise at the same sort of level.
I would imagine that even someone hammering something metal against the titanium bulkhead in that sub is not going to be making a great deal of noise compared to other sounds in the ocean, and it's not necessarily going to travel massive distances or be easy to pin point once they hear it due to the way that acoustics work (even in a relatively small room it can be oddly hard to locate an intermittent noise). Even when they hear something it's going to take time to actually narrow it down and likely require additional sonar sensors be placed before they can get a better idea of it's location (the initial search will be "wide", they're trying to find anything, but the sensors are likely too far apart to give a nice small "possible" location, so you deploy more sensors around the ones that have already picked up the strongest signal to help refine it).

Basically looking for a sub like the one that is missing is probably going to be much harder than a military sub, despite how much time and money navies put into making their subs hard to find, as navel subs have to work at being stealthy as they can't avoid their default state of not being stealthy (every bit of active equipment makes it harder, every cubic meter of size makes it harder), a submersible that is basically a largely inert, but small object is starting off as being stealthy.

*Making a sub that goes deeper can compromise it's operational abilities in other regards, as the deeper you go the harder it is to make a sub strong enough, especially when like a military sub you've got the need for all sorts of openings in the hull for everything from the propulsion, to missile/torpedo/crew hatches.

Back
Top Bottom