Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
We should have, what could they possibly do to stop us sending equipment that could (have) save(d) these people (maybe)?

The US would look much worse stopping something on-route and instead we look bad for being cowards.
Yep. It's in international waters so I'm not sure why we would need permission to send our own ship. I doubt it would have made a material difference but we still should have tried.

Soldato
I've been avoiding this story (bizarrely it makes me feel really uneasy watching a countdown to peoples death) but I had heard that even if one of them did die before the others, they would die from the nitrogren leaving the body during decomposition.

Reminds me of that movie Untraceable.

Soldato
Yeah, the smell of **** and hallucinating from complete darkness. Not a good way to get your death DMT trip.

The only slight, and I mean incomprehensibly slight, positive thing about that is at least the lad had his father there with him.

Outside of the utter horror that you're going to die, I'd be mortified of the pain I'd be putting my father through my passing (and stupid passing, at that), but they have each other.

However I'm sure there's come a point into this tragedy where even that doesn't provide a sliver of comfort.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the most likely outcome is probably that the the uncertified and not properly tested pressure hull design previously only used for single-use deep sea dives failed and the crew unfortunately died days ago.

Floating around at the surface undetected seems fairly possible too, especially as it's apparently quite hard to spot, and they don't have any reliable communication systems (seriously, would it have been hard to put some kind of radio & sonar beacon or something on the sub given it has been lost on the surface for hours at a time on previous occasions?)

Something else going wrong at depth like being caught on debris, all the ballast release systems failing to operate due to loss of power or something, an internal fire caused by one of their 'camping world' bits of electronics etc seems very possible too.

Either way I don't see any hope for them at this point. Given the standard of engineering elsewhere on the sub 96 hours life support is probably the upper end anyway... so, RIP I guess.

If the 30-minute banging noises had been convincing I'd have thought we'd have heard a lot more about them by now, given how many more 30 minite periods there have been since first detected.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only slight, and I mean incomprehensibly slight, positive thing about that is at least the lad had his father there with him.

Outside of the utter horror that you're going to die, I'd be mortified of the pain I'd be putting my father through my passing (and stupid passing, at that), but they have each other.

However I'm sure there's come a point into this tragedy where even that doesn't provide a sliver of comfort.

On the flip side, dad has to deal with the fact he essentially sentenced his 19 y/o son to a drawn out unpleasant death in a metal "coffin"...

Assuming they don't by some miracle find & rescue them within the next couple of hours, then sudden implosion is still sadly the "best case scenario" :(

Last edited:
Soldato
This has probably been covered in this long thread, but why doesn't it have some sort of location beacon.?
We discussed this in a risk meeting this morning and someone immediately said, an Acoustic transducer, battery powered, outside the pressurised part that effectively produces the same sound signature as someone 'banging' at regular intervals, maybe even knocking out morse code for depth information might have been a good idea..

You pretty much only have audio to do this, RF is hopeless in salt water, doubly so at 3800M

Back
Top Bottom