• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TITANX **

Soldato
Don't want to be fired from my job :p Let's just say it's bigger than the other titans (not by much, think third party card). You will see tomorrow anyway.

Soldato
You could import from the US for less than £999 ;)

1. US sites don't include sales tax

2. Import would be at least $60 if you go it shipped for free from new egg to a PO box then shipped to you from the po box

3.import tax could be 13% (people buying $200 headphones paid £25 duty) I don't know if that's a nominal fee or if it scales if it scaled you're looking at a potential £125 fee

So for $999 you pay about £850 shipped to you. not bad but if it broke you'd have to send it back. you won't be able to send it back for $60 and in America you don't get SOGA to make them pay for your shipping.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Didn't know that, learn something new everyday.
I'm guessing some of your big price cuts you do are based around the fluctuations on the dollar price?

Soooo it's not a straight dollar conversion? Or has the $999 price everyone has talked about not yet final?

Most prices are going up, look at CPUs, 4790k retails were around £250 a couple of months ago, they are now closer to £300 than they are to £250.

Discounts at such times come normally from a distributor or manufacturer doing deals based on volume or clearing aged stock.

But when GBP weakens like it has done last couple of months does make it harder. Of course if GBP regains strength it makes future replenishing lower cost which eventually filters into pricing and if a deal is done at same time as GBP has strengthened then that is like double whammy which can help give a far greater price reduction.

Associate
We ended up using buying a stack of them for rendering, but in the end it made more sense to buy octocore Xeons for our workload. The titans ended up doing computational tasks around CFD and such - were cheap for that. These Titan-X just seem like gaming cards only.

Actually I'm with you on that, I'm still more in favour of CPU rendering generally because of memory limitations & the fact that CPU renderers are just better featured & more mature.
But some peeps who do mostly product vis or motion graphics, GPU rendering can be a good solution.

GPU rendering most interests me for preview purposes - I want to be able to use the same materials for final render with cpu as I have been previewing with GPU. In that respect, VRay RT interests me the most.

Agree that for non-rendering compute tasks the new titan-X is no good but if you'll be doing GPU rendering with them, that 12GB of VRAM is literally double any previous CUDA card outside Quaddro range. It'll be a game changer for a certain subset of CG artists.

Caporegime
Not necessarily.

I bought a GTX690 on launch day and I remember the different brands ranging from £730 to over £900... For the exact same reference design like Titans... The only difference being warranty length really.

So tomorrow we could easily see an MSI card for £799 and an EVGA card for £899 and a Palit card for £19999... With no discernible difference ;)

Nope that's not how it will work.

Gibbo has pretty much confirmed all models will be similar priced.

OcUK Staff
OP
I used the government site to work it out and even being over generous on shipping and insurance costs it came to about £950 ;)

Simple fact is I can afford to buy a £999 graphics card and have it in my hands tomorrow.

But guess what I can save £50 and buy from USA, but it will take several days to get here and if it breaks then any saving I make is lost.

99.9% of customers will pay the additional £50 and buy from UK.

But as I suggested I am expecting it to be £899, £799 best case, both are cheaper than buying and importing from USA.

Associate
actually cpu render farms are the leaders in this field - cuda and opencl are very recent inventions

any `pro` will be using a render farm for final render not some little 12GB video card

Yes, yes, I agree pretty much completely. CPU rendering all the way for final renders.
But for a few subsets of CG artists (product vis, some mograph) GPU rendring is a practical solution & we're edging towards it being useful as a preview for tool for heavier rendering (ie designing materials in VRay -RT, even though it doesn't support every feature of the materials yet).
This 12GB VRAM at a (relatively) reasonable price is a useful step in that direction.

OcUK Staff
OP
Nope that's not how it will work.

Gibbo has pretty much confirmed all models will be similar priced.

NVIDIA will recommend a base price, lets say they go for £899 recommended. That means lowest ones will be around £899, then brands with better warranties will maybe be a little more or brands with poorer warranties be a little less.

Then cards such as an OC model, be about £50 premium and any watercooled version £100-£200 premium.

I think they will be around £899, if we see £799 then we have being blessed by the NVIDIA gods.

Associate
Why is shipping to UK more than to the US? , surely the bulk sent would serve the entire EU and would all come from China anyway ;)

Also since the collapse of the Euro what will CaseKing charge will it be a lot more?

OcUK Staff
OP
Why is shipping to UK more than to the US? , surely the bulk sent would serve the entire EU and would all come from China anyway ;)

Also since the collapse of the Euro what will CaseKing charge will it be a lot more?

Potentially, crazy as it sounds because GBP is so weak OcUK has had a huge uplift in customers from USA and Canada, particular on memory as shipping a memory kit to USA is like around £20, so were finding a lot of international customers are buying RAM from us at present.

Only yesterday customers in USA and Canada purchased all our Avexir Raiden stock. :)

Associate
Most prices are going up, look at CPUs, 4790k retails were around £250 a couple of months ago, they are now closer to £300 than they are to £250.

Discounts at such times come normally from a distributor or manufacturer doing deals based on volume or clearing aged stock.

But when GBP weakens like it has done last couple of months does make it harder. Of course if GBP regains strength it makes future replenishing lower cost which eventually filters into pricing and if a deal is done at same time as GBP has strengthened then that is like double whammy which can help give a far greater price reduction.
Never made any sense to me, even when the £ was high we was always getting rip off britain prices so sadly when it's low it's just going higher based on the idea of economics but we was already paying a little more anyway. I know VAT and all that but it reminds me of when games consoles like PS4 would be $350 in us and then around £300 in UK or other silly prices.

Either way these cards seem quite nice as single cards but they do look a little pricey for me. Hope everyone who buys one enjoys it but I agree with some of the others that performance looks a bit weaker than I'd have liked for the price.

Back
Top Bottom