• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TITANX **

Associate
Damn for (most likely) ~£900 this is just not worth it for me at 3440x1440 @ 60 FPS. 12 GB massively overkill and performance increase of 30% over the 980 is not quite what I was looking for at this price.

This card(s) will be great for 4k owners though and those who have no qualms spending the money. I guess I'll have to wait for the 980Ti.

Associate
before it even got released or price was confirmed..

I thought price would be 829 lowest 879-899 highest ( evga sc )

we'll find out tomorrow..

Soldato
Still kind of need 2 of these for 4k, and below 4k, they don't really make any reasonable sense. Not sure exactly where this card is going to sit other than a couple of "money no object" builds.

Also something this top end and fancy and expensive should really have a backplate as standard.

Pulling some impressive numbers though, a stellar 28nm send off.

Caporegime
Titan series is not meant for reasonable price from the very beginning.
This Titan X, however, is much more impressive than the previous Titan in term of gaming performance.

What on earth are you talking about.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6774/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-2-titans-performance-unveiled

The original Titan was often up to 60% faster than the previous faster Nvidia card in the 680gtx, and that wasn't even a full part, the Titan was a salvaged part with cut down shaders/rops/etc.

This card has a much smaller performance gap over the 980gtx, it's mostly between 30-35% faster. It offers NONE of the compute performance, it's hotter, louder, and while 6GB was a sensible amount 12GB means paying for 6GB you aren't going to use for two years... at which point there will be cards with that much memory and twice the performance with lower noise and power that are much more suited to high res/memory usage gaming to begin with.

This card is drastically less impressive in gaming performance, embarrassingly worse in compute performance and worse in terms of heat/noise/value for money as a result.

Then you factor in what happened around the Titan's launch, there was no rumours of a 290x, there was no hints that AMD would come along and challenge performance of a 550mm^2 Nvidia core. This time around the 390x is relatively well known about, not that far away, carries technology on it that is completely up to date, will offer superior(afaik, tbh outside of performance I read very little of the Titan X review) DX12 support and could well end up noticeably faster.

Titan X looks pretty embarrassing as compared to the original Titan, which even at it's absurd cost at least looked like it would be the performance leader for some time into the future, the Titan X can't even claim that, though retains the ridiculous price.

As for the price and not meant to be this or that. Despite Titan and Titan Z being squarely marketed under Nvidia's gaming brand, 99% of the Nvidia guys on here jumped to defend it's cost by saying that it offered professional level DP performance at a lower price for home users..... no one really believed them but it was the only even remotely logical argument to defend it's cost... even that point has been completely removed with terrible DP performance.

Associate
Titan series is not meant for reasonable price from the very beginning.
This Titan X, however, is much more impressive than the previous Titan in term of gaming performance.

Wut.

It's likely to get absolutely smashed by another single GPU card within the same quarter that it launches.

What's more, it has none of the versatility. For video editing and 3D rendering if gets whooped by AMD cards that are less than a quarter of its price.

Soldato
Sadly was waiting for this card, but seems like it's gimped and still charging the $1000 price point .... Nvidia at their best again and the poor excuses of why DP was gimped in the video below. This is really nothing more than a 980Ti being sold as a Titan with Titan prices... Let's see what AMD can pull out of their hat with the 390X and hopefully stop this insanity with graphics cards that has happened in the last 2 years.... seems I'm going back to AMD if Nvidia keep doing this stupidity and the pricing of this is stupid on all grounds even if it sells here for £799, it's not worth that as there is no DP that works like previous Titans, that was the point of Titans they were full fat GPU's without the Quadro driver support ... The 980 was nothing more than a mid range card being sold as a high end card :rolleyes: and the 780Ti beats it in a few good areas and games. Now the Titan Z is really starting to look good and seems like the last of the real Titans that are not gimped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rubbish :). Since when has a Ti had more than double the memory of the next card down in the range?
This talk of "the x card was only ever meant to be a mid-range card" is getting old now and seems to be repeated each new architecture.Fact is, at launch, it was the fastest out there or at same level with the competition so it was indeed a high end card. What they have up their sleave for their next release is irrelevant at that point in time. EIther pay the money and buy it or don't.
If you're really concerned about buying high end then one could wait for a period of time, in fact just before launch of a new architecture and buy - then you know you're getting the best the architecture can offer but of course just around the corner will be a new architecture that will be better than the one before it. THe first card released of a new architecture will likely be faster than the best of the previous mostly likely and people will whinge "it was only ever meant to be a low or medium range card" even though there is nothing else at the time that exceeds it.
Don't believe that when a new architecture is launched all cards in the range are ready for launch - well I don't anyway. THere will be a fairly large degree of further development/optimisation/testing required and of course some of watching the competition which is natural for a business.
So Titan X, buy it or don't. It's a high end card for now.

Regarding the pricing, if it launches at the same price as the original Titan one could argue it's good value, given inflation etc and providing it's made a similar kind of leap in performance over the next card as the Titan did. Also currency changes should be considered given that I think that should lead to high prices at present.

Last edited:
Associate
Well it clearly makes a difference, I remember selling 4790k as low as £230ish on OcUK with the prices always being around £250ish, now they are getting closer and closer to £300.

Another example 5820k, at launch was under £300, now it is over. :(

Nearly everything is purchased in USD, pound weakens, prices goes up, pound strengthens prices goes down.

Do you not remember GTX 970 at £239 inc and GTX 980 at £359 inc? These have gone up drastically.

Its not hard to make sense of, it is really rather simple, check www.xe.com and you can check live rate and a bank will normally give you slightly under live rate.
Like I said, I understand VAT and the other parts, was just wondering where the other premiums were coming from. Those premiums were more something I feel we receive in general though. Didn't mean to imply OCUK was trying to hike us as you're often honest about prices and margins.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's no fact... they do!

Look at the GTX980... it is Nvidia's mid-range card that they have been able to sell at an inflated price because ATi have been unable to compete.

GTX680 = same story, it's when this crap started.

the GTX 980 was the company flagship till the titan x launched - which does NOT make it a mid range card by anyone's imagination.

Soldato
The 980 is the mid range card, just like the 680 was. It's just Nvidia can now compete with AMD's highest end part with their mid range, a situation that is hopefully about to change.

Make no mistake the Titan X is equivalent to the 280, the 480 etc especially losing the DP that the original had.

Back
Top Bottom