Todays London Stabbing/Shooting

Permabanned
West Midlands Police have had four days of concerted stop and searches with a near 6% arrest rate of those searched, so it appears many are flagrantly ignoring the law. It's obviously a problem that is spreading nationally and hopefully such actions will deter those who put lives at risk through a Cavalier attitude to carrying knives or otherwise behaving outside our laws. But until truly Draconian sentences are issued to those carrying weapons I doubt this barbarism will end soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-birmingham-47399405

Whether Birmingham is also called a `stan I wouldn't like to say... :)

Soldato
No Romford is a town in Havering which is a borough of London, Harold Hill is part of Romford also.

Romford is not London.

It’s like these reporters that put place names under a large bracket, for example the girl who was killed in Harold Hill, news reporters keep saying Romford, they should be more precise, it’s lazy and doesn’t help.

Romford
Romford is a large town in East London,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romford

Last edited:
Soldato
Longer sentences just aren't the answer. Longer sentences work for white collar crime like fraud (as a deterrent) and for crimes committed by habitual petty criminals, like burglary, where it stands to reason that if you lock up burglars in place where they can't burgle, burglaries go down.

Knife crime, not so much, that's about spending money on education, youth work and then policing. It's about prevention and then about having the police numbers to catch more kids carrying knives.

Essentially this whole phenomenon is a direct result of austerity. Locking the odd one up for longer will do nothing.

I'd wager we're about to see a much larger crimewave.

Soldato

If you watch documentaries or news segments about kids involved with gangs and knives then you'll hear the same thing over and over: "I have to carry because everyone else is". With more and more news stories about stabbings, that equals more and more kids carrying, it's a massive vicious cycle.

Associate
If you watch documentaries or news segments about kids involved with gangs and knives then you'll hear the same thing over and over: "I have to carry because everyone else is". With more and more news stories about stabbings, that equals more and more kids carrying, it's a massive vicious cycle.

And then on the same documentary the kids talking about needing a knife for self defence are making their own grime diss videos where they are threatening to stab or throw acid in the face of rival gang members.

Soldato
Longer sentences just aren't the answer. Longer sentences work for white collar crime like fraud (as a deterrent) and for crimes committed by habitual petty criminals, like burglary, where it stands to reason that if you lock up burglars in place where they can't burgle, burglaries go down.

Knife crime, not so much, that's about spending money on education, youth work and then policing. It's about prevention and then about having the police numbers to catch more kids carrying knives.

Essentially this whole phenomenon is a direct result of austerity. Locking the odd one up for longer will do nothing.

Less knifey, more wifey . Flood the UK with top grade ecasty..

Soldato

Really? I don't see Greece having the same problem with their youth and austerity there is on a whole different level. The problem UK is facing is far more complicated.

Soldato
"Leyton stabbing: Man dies in east London"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47474524

He is the 21st person killed in London this year.
Glad I don't live in that hell hole.

How does that compare to Florida? Lol.

21 murders in 2.5 months for a city of 8 million beats basically everywhere in the USA.

Miami which had a very low year for murders in 2018, had 51 murders with a population of under 500k.

Jacksonville (Florida's largest city), with just under a million in population had over 100 murders in 2018.

Here are the murder rates by city for the US (2017)

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/41/

Here is also a nice reality check. Comparing London with a comparable city.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44807271

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom