Too Old ? ?

Associate
I'd say these days most bikers are older. Myself at 35, I feel like one of the younger ones. Everytime I'm out and see a group I'm always clearly younger.

I think the crazy licence requirements and cost of getting on 2 wheels. Plus how easy it is to finance a nice car these days often puts younger people off. Then life comes along, kids, partner etc all are reasons to put people off learning. I took about 10 years and thinking about it before I bothered to do my licence.

Just gear up, ride safe and don't worry about age. Just enjoy it, until you get the urge and end up wanting something bigger :D

Man of Honour
I passed my test at 52. You are a young un. Best thing I ever did. Until a muppet knocked me off my bike :D Still the best thing I ever did.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the confidence building replies guys ;) I'm assuming a decent jacket, gloves and a helmet are the minimum to get started, I'll be storing it in my garage, do I need anything more to secure it ?

Caporegime
If anything you might be too young! ;p

Depending on your confidence levels, risk of theft, cost of the scooter I'd look into some sort of ground anchor. You may even need it depending on your insurance?

Soldato
Thanks for the confidence building replies guys ;) I'm assuming a decent jacket, gloves and a helmet are the minimum to get started, I'll be storing it in my garage, do I need anything more to secure it ?
I would very much recommend either kevlar jeans, textile or leather leg wear (with knee pads).
Personally I use disc locks (front and rear) on both bikes and chain them together, which may be considered overkill, but if the scum want to nick them, they'll have to work for it.

Soldato
Never to old.

You going to ride all year or is this more of a sunny day kinda thing? Ride to the seaside etc?

If you are not planning on riding all year, I'd go for motorcycle Kevlar jeans, a lighter motorcycle summer jacket, decent gloves, motorcycle boots but low sides, and ideally ones you can walk around in comfortably.

You can get a thing that goes on your belt so you can zip the top of your jeans into the back of your jacket, I'd recommend that, if you come off on your back feet first it stops your jacket riding up your back.

Don't bother about waterproof.

Assuming you can fit your helmet in that, means you can park up then go walk around the place relatively comfortably without looking like a black storm trooper and getting sweaty and blistered feet after 50 yards.

Yes dress for the slide, not the ride, but the lighter summer motorcycle stuff is obviously still protective and that is a 125cc.

I'd still wear a full face helmet personally not one of those open Face crash helmet type things.

Each to their own though.

Caporegime
I've been thinking about learning to ride a motorbike since 2016. I'm 38 now.

I'm also 38. Spent a few hours on Thursday riding around the countryside on a 125 scooter and it was the best, most relaxed day I've had in years. A scooter is the bottom rung too, it'll only get better with a bigger bike. Do it, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner :)

Soldato
I'm also 38. Spent a few hours on Thursday riding around the countryside on a 125 scooter and it was the best, most relaxed day I've had in years. A scooter is the bottom rung too, it'll only get better with a bigger bike. Do it, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner :)
You went out solo? I know it would be better with mates.

I've been grumbling about petrol prices for ages and since my cars head gasket blew a month ago I've been riding my brother mountain bike to work, 4.5 miles each way and I've been loving it. I've told my employer about the cycle2work scheme and they're looking into that and I've been looking into bikes even before that. Not sure if I want an E-Bike or a top notch road/gravel bike. My local Halfords is rammed for E-Bike trials so I can't book in for the test ride. The 15.5mph is a concern for being to slow. I ride home with two people, see my comment about riding with mates ;) and one has a E-Bike and while he crushes us on hills we leave him for dust on flats.

Once my mind is freed up on getting my car back on the road and getting my own bike I do really want to do the CBT.

Caporegime
You went out solo? I know it would be better with mates.

I've been grumbling about petrol prices for ages and since my cars head gasket blew a month ago I've been riding my brother mountain bike to work, 4.5 miles each way and I've been loving it. I've told my employer about the cycle2work scheme and they're looking into that and I've been looking into bikes even before that. Not sure if I want an E-Bike or a top notch road/gravel bike. My local Halfords is rammed for E-Bike trials so I can't book in for the test ride. The 15.5mph is a concern for being to slow. I ride home with two people, see my comment about riding with mates ;) and one has a E-Bike and while he crushes us on hills we leave him for dust on flats.

Once my mind is freed up on getting my car back on the road and getting my own bike I do really want to do the CBT.

Yes, solo, it's quite relaxing and allows me to learn about the bike with the pressures of keeping up or anything. To ease your mind a bit, this little 125 cost me £20 to do 500 miles.

Back
Top Bottom