toob users, what router did you get given by them? Just been installed, they left me a Linksys Velop MX4200

Man of Honour
OP
Technically if the Sagemcom is an issue then you could always buy the Velop off Amazon, it's the MX4200 - But if all's fine then just stick it out I guess :p The WIFi performance has been the biggest surprise for me, the Asus I had before had 3 large aerials pointing to the sky, this has no such thing, it's my first experience with a mesh based router too so a pleasant surprise for sure.

Associate
I gave up with the sagecom WiFi moments after it was installed and went back to my ubiquiti ap's. The sagecom is ok I guess, but I find managing it a complete headache, the gui is awful.

So do you have other Linksys aps hooked up to make the most out of the mesh functionality?

Associate
Sounds good mate. I'd like to be able to get away with one ap in the middle of the house but can't quite get cover for the front door bell and the shed at the end of the garden with the stuff I've tried.

Soldato
Toob coming to my area by the looks of things now, but looks like people having issues with their telegraph pole placements. Admittedly the article link I saw was the toilet paper Daily Mail.

Soldato
I have a spare MX4200 that I got free as ex CF, I've flashed it to stock firmware and it works fine as an AP. Getting dropped into my sister-in-laws later this week to replace the virgin wireless. AKA turn it off, but leave the virgin hub doing routing for now

Associate
ever since I got toob my Philips Hue coming home lights on automation hasn't worked properly. It is very inconsistent and slow in detecting I am home and turning on the lights.

There have been reports on Reddit that Toob is slow with Google home. I changed my Google home nest hub to be on 2.5gz but it's still not working correctly

Man of Honour
OP
Have you changed the DNS servers to Google's out of interest? I have Hue lights etc but don't use coming home, all works as fast as it did on VM!

Edit* Just checked my BQM:

DAGEkfW.png

Slightly out of alignment with the planned overnight maintenance email they sent which is supposed to be:

Between 2am and 6am on Monday 5th February (for up to 15 minutes)
Between 2am and 6am on Thursday 8th February (for up to 1 hour)
Whatever they did though has ironed out those yellow spikes.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you changed the DNS servers to Google's out of interest? I have Hue lights etc but don't use coming home, all works as fast as it did on VM!

Edit* Just checked my BQM:

DAGEkfW.png

Slightly out of alignment with the planned overnight maintenance email they sent which is supposed to be:

Whatever they did though has ironed out those yellow spikes.

i actually just changed them last night to cloudflare but haven't tested the lights coming home yet. The lights work fine with normal voice commands, it's just the home arrival that has been delayed ever since toob

Man of Honour
OP
Looks like toob is doewn for most of SE as of around 05:30 this morning. Currently using my phone's data connection via USB tether and wifi hotspot (work laptop for WFH), kinda glad mobile networks and phones these days can offer super fast data connections :p

Associate
Mine was down most of yesterday. Its been going down a lot lately, specifically late at night. I hope it doesn't become too frequent!

Man of Honour
OP
They had 2 planbned maintenance days last week which was communicated by email btw, it was in the late hours after 1am.

This week's downtime was a big network outage with one of their switches which didn't failover correctly going by the email we got sent last night. Was down for a few hours:

Associate
Mine seems to drop frequently in the early hours, usually when I'm trying to get some work done :rolleyes:
The junk router always reports its connected when it clearly isn't

Associate
I don't think they work with cgnat do they?
CGNAT is only for IPv4. Enable IPv6 on your router and setup a BQM to your routers IPv6 address.

On Toob over CityFiber, my BQM chart is pretty poor compared to the one I had on Virgin, but frankly I don't notice anything bad playing games, streaming or conference calls with 3 kids at home all streaming and gaming too.

Back
Top Bottom