Took a "Blobeye" Impreza STI PPP out today

Associate
The easiest, shortest way of explaining it to me, is having to go significantly faster to get closer to the limits of grip and traction is not attractive to me

This is near enough the same reason I enjoyed riding an old 400T Honda from the late 70's. I could have more near death experiences per mile at survivable speeds on that bike than on any of the Sports Bikes I tested around the same time. Thrill was exactly the same minus the thought that if I stack it I'd have to be scraped up with a spatula :D (that's a sort of biker logic if you like).

Last edited:
Soldato
I miss my Old P1 Scooby you knew when you hit 80 as the glove box fell open and the passenger window made a nice whistling sound. You dont buy these cars for interior build quality really, when your hanging on for dear life who cares if the dash is a bit plasticy..

Soldato
I thought non PPP was 265 and PPP was 305. My mapped classic could stay with a blobeye STI on A roads but couldn't pass it.

I would think that the ST is probably lighter than the STI??? Could be wrong there.

Thing is though, you'd be unlikely to leave the STI with PP anyway - if anything your better off buying non PPP because you'd likely get it mapped anyway. The VF35 on the STI would get you to 350ish.

If it was a choice between a Focus or Impreza, the Focus wouldn't even get a look in but thats my opinion.

Soldato
I thought non PPP was 265 and PPP was 305. My mapped classic could stay with a blobeye STI on A roads but couldn't pass it.

I would think that the ST is probably lighter than the STI??? Could be wrong there.

Thing is though, you'd be unlikely to leave the STI with PP anyway - if anything your better off buying non PPP because you'd likely get it mapped anyway. The VF35 on the STI would get you to 350ish.

If it was a choice between a Focus or Impreza, the Focus wouldn't even get a look in but thats my opinion.

The specs are right...on paper, when dyno'd the STI's tended to not kick out the quoted figures, particularly the PPP'd cars. Was at a couple of RR days when I had mine and it along with most of the others even running on Super-UL would be at or below 285 and the guys running the dynos said that was normal behavior. For a PPP car you aren't meant to run it on 95 ron I did once or twice when I had no choice and it felt truly awful.

Soldato
PPP cars never really made over 285bhp. Mine completely changed with an exhaust system though and made 330bhp. I'd imagine that even on 98ron it would feel similar to your ST. Subarus have the problem of nothing below 3krpm due to long exhaust manifolds, which are unequal in length, and single scroll turbos. The JDM cars with equal length manifolds and twin scroll turbos (like the Evos etc) spool much much better.

Permabanned
OP
Your first review? Or the one after you changed your mind?

I changed it because everyone told me I was wrong, and I believed them. But when two people that actually own/have owned one of these cars tell me it was probably only running 260bhp, it leads me to conclude that the rest of the posters were talking crap as usual (based on it not sounding right probably).

Soldato
I changed it because everyone told me I was wrong, and I believed them. But when two people that actually own/have owned one of these cars tell me it was probably only running 260bhp, it leads me to conclude that the rest of the posters were talking crap as usual (based on it not sounding right probably).

No, some members have said it might only have been running 260bhp if it was prodrive mapped and on standard fuel, don't get carried away.

The peak bhp is questionable to be 300bhp on ppp cars (in fact, it's questionable on all Imprezas full stop) - however, that means nothing because the prodrive timings are correct as per the pdf linked.

Bottom line is - if your ST was quicker than the timings in the pdf then yes the ST was/is the quicker car. If your ST couldn't can't match those timings then it was/is the slower car.

Can your ST match those timings?

Associate

Other people who have responded have owned PPP'd newages. Not just 2.

SN has enough members to get a more balanced picture.

The PPP kit is 305PS which is 301BHP. When i got mine on a dyno it was more like 298BHP.

In my experience the PPP power claims are never made. These cars are typically 295/296 bhp with PPP.

296bhp 313lb/ft all runs were consistant ie lowest 293bhp highest 296bhp and it was a warm day too..

While the PPP claims 305bhp, in reality your probably looking at a little less - mine recorded 297bhp shortly after I got it

Mine went from 298bhp to 340.6 and was dynoed at Surrey rolling road

That took 2 minutes on SN...those are PPP blobs and seeing as each owner has remapped and now have a higher bhp, they have no reason to tell porkies. Mine was 298 stock, I should still have the graph somewhere.

The PPP not making the 301bhp(305ps) was addressed officially, the PPP map monitors the inlet temps unlike the standard STi map:
------------------------------------------------
Subaru
Technical Service Bulletin

Subject: PPP Tests
Model: Sti

We are becoming increasingly aware that owners of the above vehicles and others equipped with a PPP are taking their vehicles for a rolling road test and being advised of varying results on power output.

A rolling road test is very difficult to rely on to give an absolute figure of the output an engine is producing particularly when it is only possible to measure at the road wheels instead of the flywheel. There are also too many variables in how the test is undertaken including how much air is being blown at the car, which is rarely sufficient and the temperature at the intake/intercooler.

As a precaution against engine damage, the PPP is designed to reduce boost if the intake temperature becomes too high and this occurs as soon as 40 degrees is achieved. This can occur for example whilst a vehicle is parked for no more than a few minutes, even when the ambient temperature is low. For example, in a 4 degree ambient the intake temperature can rise to 51 degrees after 11 minutes with engine merely idling. This could easily happen prior to a vehicle being rolling road tested unless it was being monitored properly to ensure everything had re-stabilised, otherwise the engine power data obtained is unrepresentative.

When our supplier undertakes tests on rollers the figures quoted for a Sti (302bhp/305ps) are consistently obtained but this is only after making absolutely certain everything is as it should be before commencing. If the intake temperature is too high, a Sti will typically provide indications of only 285bhp/290ps very easily. An owner is then of the impression that his vehicle is under performing!

If you receive a complaint of this nature, the owner should be in a position to provide a rolling road test data log. Should it be apparent that the test was carried out with intake temperatures at or above 40 degrees an owner should be advised why the test results show a lower output than anticipated.
------------------------------------------------

The STi is 260bhp from the factory. There would have been blood if you paid for the PPP and nothing changed.

As far as running 95, I couldn't tell you. Mine never had anything but Optimax. I'm sure I've seen a few threads on SN with people proclaiming that you are wasting your money running SUL, Prodrive recommend 97 but you'd have to look more into it yourself.

But, like I said earlier in the thread, the car doesn't sound the best example from the way the dealer is looking after it.

edit - how do *you* know the car is PPP'd?

Last edited:
Soldato
In my personal experience PPP cars are not as fast as they should be. Definitely not 300bhp quick.

For what it's worth, I've had my STi as a standard PPP, PPP with full exhaust, and now remapped. When the exhaust was changed the car was night and day different. All IMHO of course.
When I went from my WRX to the STi, the WRX with said exhaust system, felt much faster than the STi with just PPP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom