Took a "Blobeye" Impreza STI PPP out today

I think it's just one of those good cars. Running 370+ from the VF35 at the moment.

It did boost spike, but no more than the standard Prodrive map. Only ever went as high as 1.3bar, and then dropped down and held to about 1 bar. Took me nearly two years to get it mapped and it was fine :)

What I am trying to say is that you swapped out the exhaust on a PPP'd car and hit 330. That would indicate your PPP'd unmolested STi was close to making it's figures originally. Mikehiow got his 260bhp figure from you and apparently some of us are talking "crap" now.

It's pretty much *all* your fault.

Drivers Republic timing of a remapped ST along with a standard ST and RS Focus timings. STI PPP is quicker to 100 aswell as over a second quicker over the 1/4 mile going by the Evo timings of a 14.5 1/4 mile but the ST is quite a bit quicker with the runs in each gear. Even the standard STs time are quicker in some cases.

http://themotor.myfastforum.org/sutra253613.php

335i is also included that is fast to 100 through the gears !

Interesting to look at the differences...the Prodrive timing improvements seem very modest in comparison to the Mountune times. Ratios, curves, trans losses, aero etc, I know, still seems quite a difference.

ST +34bhp/59 lb ft STi +40bhp/40 lb ft

Gains in sec:

ST STi 30-50mph
0.8 0.2
0.7 1.2
0.7 0.2

ST STi 50-70mph
1.1 0.1
1.0 0.4
1.2 1.2

ST STi 80-100mph
0.9 0.1
1.1 0.5
2.8 1.3
-----------
10.3 5.2

The Evo times for the 327bhp/358 lb ft ST:

in 3rd (30-50): 1.8
in 3rd (50-70): 2.2

in 6th (50-70): 4.7
in 6th (80-100): 5.6

34bhp/59lbft gains 1.1 seconds in 3rd 50-70mph over stock, *add* 71bhp/63 on top of that and gains...0.1 seconds.

34bhp/59lbft gains 0.8 seconds in 3rd 30-50mph over stock, *add* 71bhp/63 on top of that and gains...0.3 seconds.

34bhp/59lbft gains 1.7 seconds in 6th 50-70mph over stock, *add* 71bhp/63 on top of that and gains...0.3 seconds.

34bhp/59lbft gains 2.8 seconds in 6th 80-100mph over stock, *add* 71bhp/63 on top of that and gains...0.5 seconds.

Seems odd.

Last edited:
haha yeah, it's *all* my fault :D

I think yes my car was probably one of those cars that did make it's power. However! My WRX with just that same exhaust didn't just feel faster, but was faster. The point I was trying to make is that at STi at 300bhp doesn't feel fast - again all IMO.

The point I was trying to make is that at STi at 300bhp doesn't feel fast - again all IMO.

Didn't your dad have a big power scoob? If you had driven a scoob or two before buying your STi and knew what was what, I can understand it not feeling as quick but I'm struggling with test driving a PPP'd STi, in isolation, and declaring it has no sense of speed. Pretty much everything like the lack of refinement, the hard ride, the noise, short ratios and the way it comes on boost, if anything, exaggerate the sense of speed. Until you've lived with it for awhile, then it all changes.

I don't remember looking at the speedo and thinking "Crikey, 80, is that all?" in the scoob. To me, it's just not that sort of car.

If this were a V12 Vantage, a car that supernaturally masks its speed or it's brethren, I'd be a bit more open to the idea.

Last edited:
Yes he did, not massive power, but a 340odd bhp WRX.

But my own personal cars I'd had a Classic Sport for 2 years, and the WRX with exhaust for a year, then I got the STi. So I was well aware of the difference in speeds.
What I'm trying to say is that a WRX with the exhaust with less power than the STi PPP, due to it's lighter weight, felt faster. So I can really see why coming from a decently powered Focus ST that the STi PPP wouldn't feel like the world was on fire. Especially given how well the ST pulls from low down, less drivetrain losses etc.

I agree it doesn't mask the sensation of it's speed, but I can imagine coming from the ST which the OP knows how to keep on song, vs the STi which is new to him and lacking low down grunt in comparison - it could feel sluggish from the off.

Again this is all my opinion based on my experiences. My friend has a circa 280bhp Focus ST and that thing feels like it rockets off in any gear and any revs, but in reality it tails off soon after it gets going.

Last edited:
It felt slow (well, not as quick as the ST and I'm talking acceleration, not actual speed) because I'm used to my ST delivering a huge wall of torque at 3000-3500RPM. I'm pretty sure I already explained this.

I agree it doesn't mask the sensation of it's speed, but I can imagine coming from the ST which the OP knows how to keep on song, vs the STi which is new to him and lacking low down grunt in comparison - it could feel sluggish from the off.

Ok. You're wrong though. Apart from the bit about Mikehiow not being able to drive it properly ;)

those gains (from Std Focus to Mountune Focus above)are from an Autocar Test to a Drivers Republic Test

May be different grip from the surface, different weather etc..

Using those Mountune figures are a bit daft for this comparison. Evo had the same ic and map fitted, Mountune told them the same as they told DR: 256 bhp / 295 lb ft.

Evo thought it a bit odd that with a lower bhp/tonne than the RS, it was quicker. So they had Zen put it on the rolling road:

mt.jpg

Look at the torque. Christ knows what DR's Focus was pushing out, that was a prepped Mountune press car.

I think this is down to the comfort and suspension of the car possibly. I assure you if you do 80 in a mk1 micra it will feel like you are breaking the sound barrier

Do 150 in a Bentley GT and you may feel like a sandwich while you wait to arrive, its all relative. On this basis get a Caterham Super Seven Cosworth
s0lotussuper7cosworthbd.jpg

blob PPP was 305 bhp

whats the whp, might explain it some

You are using the Mountune ic/remap package as a loose comparison to your car, I thought.

You have a Stage 1 Bluefin remap. Less hp, quite a bit less torque.

That graph is from a customer Mountune car. I'm highlighting the torque figure to point out that's what you need to get close to those in-gear times, in fact, the DR in-gear figures are a press car, so probably pushing even more.

Back
Top Bottom