Took a "Blobeye" Impreza STI PPP out today

This has intrigued me, I'm considering trying a classic RA to see if I can be converted. I'm a firm believer of trying anything once.

You've already stated that you don't like Subarus. Shouldn't you spend your time driving, you know, cars you actually like? That way we don't need to go through this thread again, whereby you ignore anything based on fact and reply with a smiley when you seem to think someone may be possibly agreeing with you (hint : they're often not doing this). It's really tiresome.

You like Fords. We get it, okay? Just drive a Ford and be happy.

I don't like Fords, I like good cars - I've never subscribed to manufacturer loyalty. I wasn't keen on the MY05 Impreza, but it was more than it wasn't as good as I thought it was than out right not liking it. Its also horses for courses, I'm told something like an RA will be more raw and focussed, and being a weekend/occasional use car it doesn't need to be refined.

I'm only going to try it, if I don't like it I can sell up and buy something I do like - I just want to give it a chance longer term.

This has intrigued me, I'm considering trying a classic RA to see if I can be converted. I'm a firm believer of trying anything once.

I had a Type RA WRC edition. Mine had a VF29 turbo and had been remapped. Supposedly about 320BHP and was significantly faster than my UK turbo which mapped was supposed to be 270BHP (all from RR graphs)

The RA has very low gearing. You could leave it in 5th for driving in slow traffic. However, on the motorway anything over 70 was a drag because the engine was doing 4K+ rpm. Mine had the lowest ratio box available on the classics and I didn't like it.

On anything but shortish trips it was a pain. Some don't mind it but I found it a chore.

However, one good thing about an RA is that its classed as a WRX not an STI and is insured as such. Hence my RA cost £400 whilst a classic STI at the time was quoted as being £650.

For a classic I would probably go for a V5/6 STI in graphite grey, swap out the VF28 for a VF35 and all the supporting mods - FMIC, fuelling etc etc. With about 340HP and some more sensible gearing it will be a cracking car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2132238.htm

This plus £2K for the mods. Should see off most things without being too highly strung you have to say a little prayer everytime you turn the key.

Last edited:
Edd, I want the RA specifically for the gearbox (and DCCD) :) It'll probably never be used for long trips. AFAIK, they did a WRX and STi RA, the STi being the one with DCCD?

[FNG]magnolia said:
How are you going to source this RA?

Search for sale sites, view a few and then buy one?

Wait so suddenly the outcome of this thread is that MikeHiow is actually now going to BUY an Impreza and then sell it if he doesnt like it? What?!

How did we get to that point!?

Edd, I want the RA specifically for the gearbox (and DCCD) :) It'll probably never be used for long trips. AFAIK, they did a WRX and STi RA, the STi being the one with DCCD?

The STI RA has DCCD but no ABS. The WRX RA doesn't have DCCD but has ABS. The 'box ratios are the same. In the real world you'll need ABS long before you need DCCD but it depends on your driving ability.

If you truly want the quickest out of the box classic then its the V3 STI RA. Last one with the hand built engines (apparently) has the biggest off the shelft turbo and I believe the most agressive cams. After that they had smaller turbos and got toned down. My RA had leccy windows and AC so wasn't really any lighter than a normal WRX but had the nice blue alcantara seats and blue dash bits.

You get the cool little roof vent but it'll snap off after about 80 :D

154817_494_sad_kitty.jpg

If you didn't like the build quality/cabin noise/ride of the newer Impreza, surely buying an example of one of the most "hardcore" editions of the Impreza ever built is going to make your head explode?

Back
Top Bottom