Top 5 series of all time

Man of Honour
Hmm, thinking about it I have only been looking at this from a purely entertainment viewpoint, there are great shows that I haven't even considered which are not just pure entertainment.... like QI , Time Team and Coast. I would also give honorary mentions in that category to World at War, Time Commanders, The Way We Were and Life On Earth.

Soldato
Now, I wont know if these are the best of all time, but they are pretty damn awesome.

1. Burn Notice
  2. Dexter
  3. House
  4. Band of Brothers
  5. 24

Honorable mentions for TBBT, HIMYM and Entourage

1. The Inbetweeners
2. Peep Show
3. The office UK
4. Family Guy
5. This Life

The Inbetweeners, best series of ALL time? seriously go watch more shows :p

Soldato
Cant find a thread like this in search?

Bare in mind i'm not one for huge depth... i look for the feel good factor of series and the way some series crave more or "what happens next".

1) Stargate SG-1
2) The Unit
3) Vampire Diaries (i know, its awsum tho)
4) South Park
5) Buffy

Currently watching:

Vampire Diaires
Sparticus
Shameless
Flash foward

In no particular order:
House
Dexter
Family Guy
Smallville
Malcolm in the Middle

There are many more such as The Inbetweeners, South Park, Green Wing, Man vs. Wild, Mr. Bean, Summer Heights High, The Office (UK), Long Way Down, Long Way Round (not sure if you can really count those 2 as a series though), Extras, Father Ted, The Ricky Gervais Show, Weeds

Going to give Numb3rs a go soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very surprised not to see more mentions of The Thick Of It (only myself and one other mentioned it). I thought it was sheer genius. Going to watch the film tomorrow I think. Much better than things like The Office.

No other mentions for Uni Challenge? Psh!

Soldato
1: Stargate SG-1
2: The Wire
3: Band of Brothers
4: 24
5: Dexter

Honourable Mentions: Entourage, House, Firefly, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Rome, The Tudors

Caporegime
1. Buffy/Angel(same thing basically)
2. West Wing
3. Deadwood
4. Life
5. NYPD Blue/Sports Night/The Wire/Touching Evil(US)/Veronica Mars/Monk/Parks and Recreation/The Office(US)/Band of Brothers/Dead Like Me, SG-1(Universe and Atlantis were awful), TNG, DS9/Bab 5 for two of the best series long story lines in tv history.

I really don't know what the "best" 5 are, bur really Firefly, Touching Evil, Parks and Sports night are too short to be considered "best", Life is only two seasons long but is so damn good and such a truly fantastic main 2 characters with a ridiculously good cast along with them, great writing, a superb story, awesome evil character behind everything(whose in everything) that it makes it in there.

Touching Evil, Sports night, Veronica Marks have barely been seen in the uk yet are truly brilliant shows(sports night is a truly excellent comedy with a stonking cast), to a Lesser degree NYPD Blue and Dead like Me weren't big in the UK and were two more astonishingly good shows...... don't EVER watch the Dead Like Me film, ruddy awful.

Associate
1. Firefly
2. True Blood
3. IT Crowd
4. Arrested Development
5. Band of Brothers

Others I like include big bang theory, inbetweeners, skins, family guy and star trek.

I would give up a lot for another season of firefly though :(

Soldato
Now, I wont know if these are the best of all time, but they are pretty damn awesome.

1. Burn Notice
  2. Dexter
  3. House
  4. Band of Brothers
  5. 24

Honorable mentions for TBBT, HIMYM and Entourage

The Inbetweeners, best series of ALL time? seriously go watch more shows :p

Mine weren't in order of precedence but coming from a guy that places his top as Burn Notice LOL.

I have never met even one person that watched The Inbetweeners without loving it. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I haven't really thought about it. It just struck me that we were seeing mostly a parade of series of the last ten years. And a selection of typical geekdom of course, but that goes without saying.

Yeah, I'm totally shocked that a computer forum full of young males is full of geeky shows from the last decade; I mean, who'd have thought?

Associate
The Inbetweeners was alright, rather funny in places but ultimately quite forced. It's nothing compared to the genius that is Peep Show.

Some absolute failure top fives in this thread.

1) The Wire
2) The Shield
3) Band of Brothers
4) The Sopranos
5) South Park

There's a bulletproof list for you.

The Wire is absolutely the peak of TV, closely followed by The Shield and Band of Brothers. The Sopranos deserves to be there, but it's certainly not toppling The Wire. South Park gets in at the end as it's become a definitive slice of comedy that delivers time after time.

Honourable mentions go to: Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Peep Show, Dexter, Firefly and Nip/Tuck.

Honestly if you've not watched all of the shows I've mentioned then no wonder you're putting things down like Vampire Diaries, Buffy, Lost and House.

Associate
1) The Wire
2) The Shield
3) Band of Brothers
4) The Sopranos
5) South Park

The Wire is absolutely the peak of TV, closely followed by The Shield and Band of Brothers. The Sopranos deserves to be there, but it's certainly not toppling The Wire. South Park gets in at the end as it's become a definitive slice of comedy that delivers time after time.

Honourable mentions go to: Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Peep Show, Dexter, Firefly and Nip/Tuck.

Honestly if you've not watched all of the shows I've mentioned then no wonder you're putting things down like Vampire Diaries, Buffy, Lost and House.

I've seen all of those you mentioned except Nip/Tuck I quit after first season and I wouldn't put half of those shows above Lost or Buffy. South Park doesn't rank in the top 3 of animations even. Out of curiosity, have you seen more than few random episodes of Buffy?

Soldato
Mine would be:

1- The X-Files
2- Band of Brothers
3- Red Dwarf
4- The Sopranos
5- Twin Peaks

Keep meaning to purchase The Wire & The Shield but never do for some reason..

Must admit to wondering how South Park can make it into anybodies top 50 let alone top 5, but I guess each to their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom