Top Gun: Maverick

Man of Honour
Really want to see this but the mrs has no interest what so ever, but luckily I've got an early finish today and it's on in IMAX just in time for me to make it there :D

Caporegime
Saw it yesterday. Amazing, plenty of surprises left despite the 3 year wait and numerous trailers. The right amount of cheese and homage to the original. I would go as far to say its a great stand alone movie in it's own right. Music/soundtrack will give you goose bumps in places and there are genuine humour moments mixed into the action. It's 1% away from from being on the same level as the original, which is saying something in today's much more crowded film market. I expect it will break some box office records over the coming weeks. Cinema only half full for a late evening showing (I suspect it's not as popular in Spain for some silly reason!) but the audience clapped at the end.

Will watch again at some point.

rp2000

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Amazing. I know I will probably get lynched but i thought it was better than the original. Excellent. Best movie I watched this year.

Saw it last night
Honestly cant remember a time I enjoyed a film so much, those 2 hours went sooooo quickly

Really really well balanced on homage to original without just remaking it

really really good on imax

Watch it at the cimena, its one of those films you will regret not seeing on a big screen if the first time you see it is on a normal TV

Soldato
I’m surprised at the reviews here and on metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. At the moment I’m erring towards a 6 or 7/10 but would need to watch it again. However, I felt like that about Dune (2022) and enjoyed it more second time so maybe that will happen again. The action sequences bump my current score up quite a lot.

A lot of people say Maverick “follows the beats” of the original movie. If by that you mean “copies them almost exactly” then you’re correct. The first third of the film (after the experimental plane part) is basically like a recreation of the first film. I felt a lot of it was unnecessary since most people who watch this will have seen or at least be familiar with the first.

The relationship between Mav and Penny felt completely flat for me. No real chemistry, just seemed shoehorned in.

“The mission” is the Death Star trench run from Star Wars: A New Hope and the reason for not using the F-35 (“no GPS”) was ludicrous.

The big positive was the final third, actually on “the mission”. Yes, some of it was unrealistic but it was certainly tense and had me gripped. I’m a big military plane fan so that was bound to be the case.

The onboard camera work on the jets was good but the impact had been lessened a bit by the trailers, compared to if I was seeing it for the first time in the cinemas.

The run time of the film did shoot past quickly, especially once the first half an hour / 45 minutes had gone.

Hondo was a good character and I liked Phoenix too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Holy balls, just got back from watching it.

10/10

Absolutely fantastic film, it was the perfect sequel. The cinematography was incredible.

It had me from the very first second.

I was almost in tears towards the end

Back
Top Bottom