Tory MP Sir David Amess murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
He was doing his job, that includes representing his constituents which he obviously felt shared many of the same views.

And as I said earlier in the thread "he was just doing his job" is a pathetic excuse and has lead to some of the worst events we've seen in history.
A good man stands for what's right, regardless of the views of those around them. Voting against equal rights for homosexuals is not good from any perspective. His voting record across all topics shows a consistent bias towards protecting the rich and neglecting the poor, whether through direct votes such as limiting benefits or by protecting the rich from tax increases or schemes that might impact profits (such as requiring companies to enact reasonable current technologies that limit co2 production).

Caporegime
And as I said earlier in the thread "he was just doing his job" is a pathetic excuse and has lead to some of the worst events we've seen in history.
A good man stands for what's right, regardless of the views of those around them. Voting against equal rights for homosexuals is not good from any perspective. His voting record across all topics shows a consistent bias towards protecting the rich and neglecting the poor, whether through direct votes such as limiting benefits or by protecting the rich from tax increases or schemes that might impact profits (such as requiring companies to enact reasonable current technologies that limit co2 production).

Sure so instead of standing up to such views and appealing to constituents, just kill him?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Its fine to disagree with views it's not fine to just go and kill someone you disagree with.

Caporegime
Yet he didn't go out and stab someone 17 times, brutally murdering them.

It's almost like he held beliefs and joined a debating club of sorts to air them, rather than resorting to killing others.

If only other groups could conduct themselves in such ways.

But it wasn't just a debating club because that club took actions. Those actions have killed people. We know that people have starved to death because of benefit cuts, have committed suicide and more recently we've just found out the government's appalling inaction on covid is responsible for nearly 30,000 extra deaths.
He was an active member of that club.

Caporegime
But it wasn't just a debating club because that club took actions. Those actions have killed people. We know that people have starved to death because of benefit cuts, have committed suicide and more recently we've just found out the government's appalling inaction on covid is responsible for nearly 30,000 extra deaths.
He was an active member of that club.

Yes the population voted for those views when they elected the Conservative government.

Maybe you believe that all those who voted should also be killed, without trial and on no particular charges.

Eventually the only ones left will share some if your views, then go kill the ones who don't enforce them strongly enough.

Soon the uk will be like Iran or Pakistan if we go down that route.

Soldato
To vote against same sex marriage is not homophobic as some would have it. He was a practising catholic and the last I looked, Members of Parliament can vote with their conscience. He has a 35 year record in Parliament and was well thought of on all sides of the House.
You @Dis86 may disagree with some of his actions, it does not make him a bad MP.

Caporegime
I agree with you 100% here, and our views don't often align. The level of toxicity that people have towards the other tribe/party/country/team (insert your own 'not like me' category) which gets carried on social media and amplified in printed media makes me wonder why we're surprised when someone takes it to the extreme stage of the argument and defends their beliefs by killing a supposed enemy. It's deeply worrying how we treat each other and I don't know how it can change. As you say, it is ******* pathetic. We have become ******* pathetic.
Two-party politics does not help, although you're probably making that comment in a wider context.

Look at the US for further proof of this. Sadly I don't see either country ever changing (i.e. dropping FPTP) so if anything it will probably get worse.

Caporegime
To vote against same sex marriage is not homophobic as some would have it. He was a practising catholic and the last I looked, Members of Parliament can vote with their conscience. He has a 35 year record in Parliament and was well thought of on all sides of the House.
You @Dis86 may disagree with some of his actions, it does not make him a bad MP.

How do we think an Islamic extremist would vote on sane sex marriage ?

Soldato
"Harbi Ali Kullane, a former adviser to the prime minister of Somalia, confirmed that his British-born son, Ali Harbi Ali, 25, was in custody. Kullane said that anti-terrorist police from Scotland Yard had visited him."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...on-held-over-sir-david-amess-murder-gr8rj7whq

And yet another one that was one the list left free to kill.
When will the UK government get a back bone and get them on the list banged up/

Import the third world get the third world. This problem wont be going away, its only a matter of time till the next civilians are picked at random.

Caporegime

He didn't just vote against gay marriage, he voted against allowing homosexual couples the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples, he voted against giving homosexuals the same age of consent as heterosexuals. So his votes weren't just about gay marriage.

I've also provided multiple other examples of morally wrong voting choices he has made as well. These voting choices are there for all to see online.

Permabanned
Even members of parliament in the Labour and Liberal parties have made glowing eulogies about Sir David Amass, far beyond making polite noises, so he was obviously held in the highest regard by many who almost certainly strongly opposed his views and actually KNEW him on a daily basis.

I thought the politicising of Covid was bad, this is going even further now. Many people hold polar views on subjects like homosexuality, benefit levels and testing and military action, a democracy allows constituents to vote in those that present their views to parliament, whether you like those views personally, or not.

I have no TV so am always late with the news, but has anything whatsoever been published saying he was killed for his political views?

Soldato
That's democracy for you, sometimes you have to suck it up that constituents in other parts of the UK vote for someone to represent them that you may not approve of.
Wonder how many people actually vote, swayed by the personality of their local MP - N.Cambs and never considered it or know his name/biography,
if I lived somewhere where the MP had a news/commons presence to judge I might do so.

Since this seems to be terrorism , unlike Cox, the discussion on the toxic aspect of Mp behaviour (ie. brexit) will not get the airing I think it should,
whether Afghanistan exodus was at all the catalyst, in which case ISIS will be emboldened for worldwide actions, any rise in their (encrypted) social media activity ? -
security for upcoming COP.

Caporegime
On the news they are banging on about the abuse they get on twitter, and more must be done! - Funny one rule of them and not for others, as my sister some years back was very badly bullied and harassed on Facebook and Twitter, the police told her to just block them :rolleyes::mad:

Soldato
Wonder how many people actually vote, swayed by the personality of their local MP - N.Cambs and never considered it or know his name/biography,
if I lived somewhere where the MP had a news/commons presence to judge I might do so.

Since this seems to be terrorism , unlike Cox, the discussion on the toxic aspect of Mp behaviour (ie. brexit) will not get the airing I think it should,
whether Afghanistan exodus was at all the catalyst, in which case ISIS will be emboldened for worldwide actions, any rise in their (encrypted) social media activity ? -
security for upcoming COP.
Cox was considered terrorism by more than a few, right wing lone actor. And do not bring brexit into this discussion please. Amess was on the friends of a democratic Iran organisation (faint hope) so he did know people from the ME, I doubt ISIS were at all involved, just some saddo in his bedroom alone, like Cox.

Associate
RIP Sir David.

Amess, had held that constituency for 24 years, an absolute pillar of that community. A very strange choice if politically motivated. Well I guess murdering anybody is a strange choice to say the least. In the immediate aftermath of this event I don't think it's sensible to speculate, but lets hope there isn't any more of this to come.

Perhaps murdering a kind, decent, selfless Member of Parliament might have more impact than murdering a member with a higher and more controversial profile.

Murdering such a member will gain the sympathy of most of the population, a controversial one might not.

Soldato
He voted against equal rights for homosexuals, for mass surveillance of private communications, against better benefits for the disabled and those temporarily unable to work, against increasing benefits at least in line with inflation, voted for the bedroom tax, voted to sell off public parks and forests, voted for less regulation in the fracking industry, voted against green initiatives to reduce climate change, voted to raise tuition fees, voted for the Iraq war, voted against military action against isis when they were busy committing genocide...want me to go on? There's more!

In some people's eyes he's a good person for voting that way

Caporegime
In some people's eyes he's a good person for voting that way

As I've literally pointed out above, by modern standards of equality it is not good. You cannot say that having more restrictive laws for people based upon their sexuality is right or fair. He consistently voted to prevent equality of homosexuals in the eyes of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom