Total War:Atilla

Associate
I'm really enjoying Atilla. It's my first Total War game that I'm getting into.

Personally I think its well presented and I find every turn I'm split between 2 or more good progression options - which I like.

It needs a little bit of a performance optimisation patch but I'm sure that'll come in time.

Battles look better than ever and the cinematic camera is pretty damn cool.

Associate
Think I'm going to wait for this on a steam sale with all the DLC in a year or two.

Have bought nearly all the Total War games on release so far but still haven't finished a Rome 2 grand campaign or the DLC campaigns yet!

Soldato
Absolutely loving this. I need tutorials for the battles though so I can learn how to construct a more tactical approach rather than just swarming as best I can lol. Looking forward to the tweaks/patches to come to make it even better :)

Soldato
Basic and most reliable tactic is hammer and anvil. Lock them with an initial line of infantry and then sling cav around the sides to take out ranged units before plunging into the back of the locked in place enemy.

Variations in can occur where you lose the cav battle or one army has more men so can "roll up" the line from one side using an inf unit to get a quicker win.

Works best if you have armoured/pike or high health disposable units in the middle line then armour piercing fast units like axemen at the ends to roll up whilst the cav are busy.

Ranged units is personal preference but 2 archers for range, two catapults for devastation and 2 jav/skirm for high damage/high casualties hit before contact.

Soldato
The Huns are absolutely relentless. Not so long ago all I needed for victory was to colonise a couple of settlements and seal an alliance with a faction that was already friendly to me. Now, after years of fighting massive Hun armies I'm starting to feel like the Western Roman Empire: broke, desperate, and starving.

Loving it.

Associate
I spent ages struggling along with 1500 income per turn, then I spotted that I had lowered my taxes to the lowest rate to help with happiness and forgot about it.

Soldato
I spent ages struggling along with 1500 income per turn, then I spotted that I had lowered my taxes to the lowest rate to help with happiness and forgot about it.

haha unlucky!

I'm playing a Visigoths game at the moment. Managed to get myself to Portugal area and take two full regions. Getting about 4000 per turn.

Going to save up some gold then try take Africa etc.

Soldato
Minor victory is mine!

4D630F1194304C3E8F8C82F767D323E5EC0FE64A

There were some dark times in the final decade - famine, disease, bankruptcy, and a lot of war - but, amazingly, diplomacy saved me in the end. I managed to seal peace treaties with the Picts and Varinians, who had been harassing my Gallic provinces for years. They promptly went south into Spain and distracted Hispania and Gaul, allowing me to retake Narbo and Tarraco, which I had lost to them earlier, and to move my armies back to defend my Alpine regions.

Peace treaties with the Quadians and Marcomans in the north east freed up more manpower to fight the Huns. Against them I fought one of the most epic battles I've had in my time playing Total War: three full stacks of quality units each. They had the superior units, I had a slight numerical advantage and the high ground. As you can only have 40 units on the field at one time there was a continuous stream of reinforcements coming in from both sides as units routed or died, constantly changing the face of the battle. 2500 of my men died, including my faction heir and greatest general, but I won. The Huns fled not long after and eventually requested a peace treaty.

Prosperity returned after that. By the end, the only known factions I was at war with were the Ebdanians, who were still freezing and starving in Britain, and Gaul, who had been reduced to a couple of provinces in south-eastern Spain. With everyone else there was peace, and even friendly relations. Finally, a bit of colonisation and military alliances with Macedonia (through subjugation), Illyria, and Eastern Roman Separatists (through diplomacy) got me the eastern provinces I needed to secure victory.

I might return to this campaign later and go for one of the higher victory objectives, but for now I think I'll go with the Huns next, using the Radious mod.

Soldato
So one thing that annoys me about this game is that it doesn't appear to be possible to defeat the Huns. I've got a pretty solid empire going and managed to kill Attila, then three turns later he reappeared at the head of another army. It's actually kind of put me off the game a little bit. I managed to push the Huns back and saw their strength ranking drop from fifth to eighteenth, but then the next turn it was miraculously back up to fifth. I've always liked that CA allowed players to rewrite history and have in fact often trumpeted it as one of the unique aspects of Total War games. I know that Attila is the title character so it wouldn't really be the same without him, but you should still be able to permanently kill him off.

Soldato
I think he dies 'officially' in 445, or whenever the final chapter of the campaign begins. You'll get a cut-scene. After that the Huns can be driven back.

I see your point - it does feel a bit artificial - but I get why CA did it. There were lots of complaints on their forums about how in Rome 2 the AI Roman Empire rarely got going - I had a couple of campaigns where they were destroyed by the Etruscans almost immediately. There is a balance to be struck between being part of a great historical story and completely rewriting it. Personally I would have found it very anti-climactic if the Huns had been defeated early on by some random AI faction, or if Attila had died as a child, or if he had turned up with a couple of armies and been beaten back immediately.

Soldato
453 according to wiki. Yeah you have a point, it's a balance of artistic licence versus historical accuracy.

I still dislike it though. It's a similar situation to the Eastern and Western Roman Empires in this game, I'm sure I remember reading something along the lines of "rebuild the Roman Empire and reverse the course of history" either in-game or in some promo for it, so why is it different for Attila? What is also irritating is that it's not just Attila that reappears constantly until his actual death, Hun armies continue to magically reappear all over the eastern side of the map. If you destroy one, another will just pop up in a different province. It makes expanding east almost impossible in this game, and so it just comes down to a war of attrition with the Huns. I'm sure this is fun for some who are looking for historical accuracy, but I'd rather be given the chance to crush the Huns.

Soldato
I started as the Visigoths and managed to migrate down to southern Spain and it looks like the Huns are chasing me down :o!

Do the Huns always chase after the player or is it just coincidence?

Back
Top Bottom