Total War:Atilla

Soldato
Diplomacy is still pretty frustrating in this game. I don't see why I can't be given some basic reason for why a faction with whom I'm on good terms won't sign a mutually beneficial trade agreement no matter how much money I offer them.

Soldato
Diplomacy is still pretty frustrating in this game. I don't see why I can't be given some basic reason for why a faction with whom I'm on good terms won't sign a mutually beneficial trade agreement no matter how much money I offer them.

My main problem is how research greatly effects your "great power" attribute. Completely unbalances diplomacy as great power's modifiers are pretty huge.

Soldato
Decent price on CDKeys, so i'm going to give this a go. Didn't mind what others complained about in Rome 2 - and never seen any bugs at all (might just have been very lucky or too useless/manic to notice. Have always liked Total War games and have played all but Napoleon since Rome:TW came out. :)

Soldato
Decent price on CDKeys, so i'm going to give this a go. Didn't mind what others complained about in Rome 2 - and never seen any bugs at all (might just have been very lucky or too useless/manic to notice. Have always liked Total War games and have played all but Napoleon since Rome:TW came out. :)

It wasn't the best of launches though, Rome 2. Even by their standards what was promised to it's day one launch was pretty dire. When it has been patched up it is a pretty solid game.

What has made it better for me though is steering away from the TWC forums and reading too much. I think that made most of the issues too apparent rather than just enjoy the game.

Still playing too much Dying Light though to get a campaign going..!

Soldato
Anybody else feel the games have got a little over complicated? It might just be me but I thought Rome was perfect, but from then on I log in and there a myriad of small tiny details that i cannot be bothered with :p

Probably just me but I just tend to play Rome or Medieval 2 and ignore the recent incarnations.

Permabanned
Any guides for this out?Damn this game is hard.
I've been playing as saxon and Franks but not getting very far before getting beaten like a ginger stepchild.

First total war game i've played.

Soldato
Any guides for this out?Damn this game is hard.
I've been playing as saxon and Franks but not getting very far before getting beaten like a ginger stepchild.

First total war game i've played.

I've played Rome 2 before and did 'ok' at that.

I've started and lost 3 games so far, one as the Huns and the other 2 as Saxons! I suck!

Great fun though :D

Soldato
This is certainly harder than Rome 2. The new migration/desolation/climate/etc mechanics have had a noticeable impact on AI behaviour. On my Ostrogoths campaign I currently have migrating Geats harassing my provinces in Gaul, Caledonians invading from their new home in northern Spain, and Suebians trying to cross the Alps into Italy before the Huns get them. And that's in addition to the 'regular' wars I'm fighting.

Good fun. I do really want a decent diplomacy mod, though.

Soldato
I'm getting some random stutters I don't get with Rome 2 - regardless as to how I set the graphical levels, I believe it may be related to sound as it even happens on the main title screen (but isn't solved by turning off sound, but then again that option may just be muting it).

Associate
Anybody else feel the games have got a little over complicated? It might just be me but I thought Rome was perfect, but from then on I log in and there a myriad of small tiny details that i cannot be bothered with :p

Probably just me but I just tend to play Rome or Medieval 2 and ignore the recent incarnations.

Agree in some part with this. I'm kind of new to the Total War series and have this like found jumping into the deep end with no armbands and an anchor tied around my feet!

However - it's a challenge that's rarely in games nowadays and I for one am happy to take it on. It's not for everyone but the satisfaction I'm going to get when I do finally win a campaign is going to be epic!

Soldato
Started my first campaign yesterday. The Germanic Visigoths (an 'easy' campaign difficulty apparently :p). Detail of my experience in the Spoiler tags:

My journey began marauding across the Byzantine empire, sacking cities with my two armies and building up enough coin to eventually end my migration and settle. I encountered the Dacian people on one of my forays into Byzantine territory. The city was not a viable option to call home, it was open on all four sides which would have left me rather vulnerable to retaliation from the Byzantine cities to the east and west. The fight would come swiftly and the onslaught would prove too strong to repel. I chose to liberate the Dacians and an alliance was formed, further solidified with the marriage of my oldest son to one of their daughters. My hope was that the Dacian people would come to my aid when I called and repay me for freeing them from the roman rule. The Ostrogoth were growing in stature in the north with their ongoing fight with the western roman empire and they extended an olive branch of alliance in return for my people joining the war against the west. I dutifully obliged due to my unbridled hatred of the roman dogs! I was making powerful enemies but I was happy in the knowledge that my foes were otherwise occupied.

I continued my campaign further south settling on Thessalonica as my next target. After quickly dispatching the woefully inadequate defence force I decided to occupy the city as a base for which to grow my empire. The mountainous terrain to the west and the coast in the south and east meant an attack from the north was the only viable option for aggressors, and I would see them coming. Six years of peace followed as the Huns kept the attention of the Byzantine and the Ostrogoth continued to plunder in the North. The spoils of war were being spent in abundance on improving infrastructure and converting Thessalonica into a Germanic settlement. However, six years without battle meant my armed forces were not the battle hardened units they once were, yet they yearned for the taste of battle and soon they would have their wish. Whilst I focused on building a solid platform for expansion, the byzantine were amassing a retaliatory force to the north east away from my prying eyes. Within a year a 1500 strong force were at our borders, my first army led by general wahalla forced them into a quick retreat. It was too easy and I knew they would return so I raised a third force of 900 men led by General Seiga. This proved costly as the financial strain and subsequent food shortages caused high levels of attrition amongst my forces. The byzantine returned and rather than abandon the units to avoid further losses I sent them to their deaths in order to push back their forces. The temporary respite allowed me to bolster defences and General Wahalla set up a forward defence fort to hold off the advancing army.

The following year they returned again with a force numbering approximately 5000 men largely consisting of auxiliary and missile troops. I knew if I could hold the forward defence fort and repel the initial onslaught I would likely be able to rout the remaining forces. The catapults and cavalry did enough to break the missile troops lines and spearmen and gothic warbands held the line valiantly against wave after wave of melee infantry. Despite heavy losses I managed to rout the entire force following the loss of their general with only 2300 men at my disposal. The victory was bittersweet as my own losses were great, only 1300 men survived the battle and despite fighting very well the byzantine still had just over half their force remaining.

Any captured men were used to replenish my own forces in an effort to quickly return to the fight but the byzantine were swift and brutal in their response. The treasury was running dry, famine and disease had decimated my forces and quietly they had shipped over reinforcements from the east. My allies had abandoned me and before I had a chance to improve defences 7500 men were at my gates intent on destroying all traces of the Visigoth people. Morale was at an all-time low and once the outer wall was breached, the city quickly fell, as did the promise of the Visigoth people. The byzantine were merciless and left no stone unturned in ensuring that the Visigoths never returned as a plight against their empire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom