Total War: Warhammer 3

Stores should be able to crossplay. I recently played Sea of Thieves with my friend, me via GamePass, him on Steam. You can link your Steam to your Windows account (both players will have to do this, even the steam users), then I think you need to use the Windows app to join each other. At least that’s how it worked in SoT.

Yeah but it does seem that Gamepass <> Steam on TW3 has major issues. The TW3 tech forum is full of people saying that they cant connect the two or that if they do get it connected the gamepass players seem to crash a lot. We did finally , after 90mins, manage to get a game started but within 3 turns all the gamepass players had crashed (all the steam players were fine). Looks like the gamepass version needs a patch to me

Not a major problem really, I've just bought it on steam for my friends who had it on Gamepass, that will sort that out :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how you seduce units as Slaanesh?

Also, I love the event names.

XlNjHQi.jpg

fGHdyMw.jpg

I had another event earlier called "It's raining men, hallelujah".

I was quite surprised by the high performance requirements for this game, the graphics look very dated - like something from 5-7 years ago

God the main map , is this grimdark Warhammer or vivid bright Warcraft!!!?

Also the bright colour selections for units, why!?
Building towers etc as you go in sieges is rubbish, would have been better as a pre battle option only.

Totally breaks the immersion into the universe and thus the game for me, as a massive Warhammer fan and total war player....

It's poor, very poor.

God the main map , is this grimdark Warhammer or vivid bright Warcraft!!!?

Also the bright colour selections for units, why!?
Building towers etc as you go in sieges is rubbish, would have been better as a pre battle option only.

Totally breaks the immersion into the universe and thus the game for me, as a massive Warhammer fan and total war player....

It's poor, very poor.
We need mods desperately. This game is a travesty. Warhammer 2 was so much better!

Well, it seems the campaign map is just immensely demanding. Dropped textures to high which reduced vram usage down to 8GB and it still runs like ass. Battles are nice and smooth in the high 50s, campaign map is like 30fps.

I dunno, the game itself I'm really enjoying. It's literally just the campaign map performance that is marring the experience. The sieges are massively better than the tw2 maps.

Me too, I'm also really enjoying it, only thing I would say is that I dont particularly find myself connecting with the standard campaign but thats no surprise really as its the combined map campaign that holds the most interest for me

Sounds like it needs a few patches before it’s better.

Lots of people complaining on official forums dues to skewed auto resolve forcing you to fight most battle manually, with most battles being minor settlement sieges with overpowered towers rebuild spam.

I have only played like 5 hours but it seems the campaign ai is similar to the first game where your enemies just beeline to you and ignore other factions they are at war with on the way which I find immersion breaking but I do need to play it more to know for sure.

Me too, I'm also really enjoying it, only thing I would say is that I dont particularly find myself connecting with the standard campaign but thats no surprise really as its the combined map campaign that holds the most interest for me

I find when I play I spend the vast majority of my time on the campaign map and autoresolve almost all battles except those that are borderline. Just prefer the campaign map element of TW games, always have for some reason.

Had the game a few days now and as someone (Shock, horror) who never played Warhammer 2 this feels like a welcome addition. I'm running it on a quite beastly MSI gaming laptop (I7 quad core, 64GB RAM, 2 x 980 GTX Ti 8GB cards - desktop ones) so been running it at ultra settings with around 45fps for most parts of it.

Anyway, the good and bad

Good
- Prologue is brilliant, even for returning WH2 players the narrative is excellent, no spoilers here but I'd urge you to play it even with the tutorial (Which is very good tbf)
- Campaign map is huge
- Factions feel very different so far and play different, issue I had with W1 was that some of the factions felt very similar, just a case of spamming infantry and ranged and if you had more you won, now there are distinct differences that seem to have major benefits (And drawbacks) on battles
- Grand Cathay - were my obvious choice for first campaign playthrough (Dragons as a playable faction!) and I really like how they have introduced a mechanic of harmony to the faction between yin and yang, most buildings and research have a yin or a yang bias, if you balance them (i.e. achieve harmony) then you get good bonuses for your faction, an imbalance means you reap the benefits of the yin or yang side fully but lose the harmony bonus, its fun to play around with and also applies to your troops and formations in battle i.e. some troops are yin, some are yang, put them together on the battlefield and they gain some pretty significant bonuses

Bad
- Not very optimized so far, I've not hit any CTD yet, but have had quite a few moments where game will freeze for approx. 30 secs before moving again
- FPS seems to take a major dip when you move away from the action in battles, weirdly I was getting a solid 45-50fps watching battles but when I scroll away onto the environment it drops significantly down to less than 20fps, very strange as I'd expect the opposite
- The chaos gates. Again without spoilers but this introduces a forcing mechanism where you have to take part if you don't want an early game over. I loved the previous game because of the sandbox, and whilst this has a much larger map it almost pays not to expand in order to defend yourself from this mechanic, I'm hoping there will be an option to remove it entirely or a mod that does the same as it crops up approx. every 30 turns and causes lots of issues

In summary
I'm enjoying it so far, chucked approx. 20 hours into it

Had the game a few days now and as someone (Shock, horror) who never played Warhammer 2 this feels like a welcome addition. I'm running it on a quite beastly MSI gaming laptop (I7 quad core, 64GB RAM, 2 x 980 GTX Ti 8GB cards - desktop ones) so been running it at ultra settings with around 45fps for most parts of it.

Anyway, the good and bad

Good
- Prologue is brilliant, even for returning WH2 players the narrative is excellent, no spoilers here but I'd urge you to play it even with the tutorial (Which is very good tbf)
- Campaign map is huge
- Factions feel very different so far and play different, issue I had with W1 was that some of the factions felt very similar, just a case of spamming infantry and ranged and if you had more you won, now there are distinct differences that seem to have major benefits (And drawbacks) on battles
- Grand Cathay - were my obvious choice for first campaign playthrough (Dragons as a playable faction!) and I really like how they have introduced a mechanic of harmony to the faction between yin and yang, most buildings and research have a yin or a yang bias, if you balance them (i.e. achieve harmony) then you get good bonuses for your faction, an imbalance means you reap the benefits of the yin or yang side fully but lose the harmony bonus, its fun to play around with and also applies to your troops and formations in battle i.e. some troops are yin, some are yang, put them together on the battlefield and they gain some pretty significant bonuses

Bad
- Not very optimized so far, I've not hit any CTD yet, but have had quite a few moments where game will freeze for approx. 30 secs before moving again
- FPS seems to take a major dip when you move away from the action in battles, weirdly I was getting a solid 45-50fps watching battles but when I scroll away onto the environment it drops significantly down to less than 20fps, very strange as I'd expect the opposite
- The chaos gates. Again without spoilers but this introduces a forcing mechanism where you have to take part if you don't want an early game over. I loved the previous game because of the sandbox, and whilst this has a much larger map it almost pays not to expand in order to defend yourself from this mechanic, I'm hoping there will be an option to remove it entirely or a mod that does the same as it crops up approx. every 30 turns and causes lots of issues

In summary
I'm enjoying it so far, chucked approx. 20 hours into it

This is a decent summary of my feelings. The factions seem to have some really different campaign AND battle mechanics beyond just different units and diplomacy that has made it a really new experience (a bit overwhelming at first, but I got the knack eventually). Performance is fine for me, except on the campaign map where things feel quite sluggish.

The rifts I read a lot of reviews about, saying the same as you, but frankly I disagree. I think expanding gives you more access to shut down rifts from competitors, and as long as you have decent garrisons in place the rogue armies aren't much of a threat. I have a single small army for breaking any sieges in my deep territory as you are fine to spend a couple turns getting there.

I'm having a much harder time with enemy factions tbh who are now coming at me double stacked with late game units so I have to be ready in kind. Losing your main lord for a long time in rifts is fairly painful if you can't afford to have other armies keeping borders safe, and right now I am absolutely minted, albeit with a meager per turn income.

My biggest bottleneck is recruitment speed. If I go toe to toe with a double stack army I might need to recruit upwards of 10 units in the same province, and late game units take a couple turns or more so it takes ages to recover. Taking a new well defended settlement really feels like a gamble as you set up to have one or two armies severely weakened for a good few turns.

Hardware wise I’m nowhere near being able to run this on top end settings, but happy enough with my mix of medium/high/ultra settings as it runs well enough for me to enjoy.

Only about 4 hours in on a Nurgle campaign and I’m really liking their different recruitment mechanic linked to the settlements. Took a bit of time to wrap my head around it (sunk hundreds of hours into 1 and 2) but I really like it. It really ramps up nicely once you get a few provinces.

Main gripe so far are the fairly minimal unit rosters, but I’m comparing it against 1 and 2 where I’ve got all the dlc added on. Auto-resolve really seems skewed against the player as well, especially against Tzeentch armies which always seem overpowered on the auto resolve resolution.

Really wanting the Mortal Empires map though, then this’ll be all I play until Christmas and likely beyond!

Almost finished my Tzeentch campaign, one more demon soul to get. Glad I didn't pay full price and played on gamepass - I will pick it up after I'm done with Elden Ring after a few optimisation patches and the big mode with 1 + 2 + 3 combined map.

Quick question on this - on gamepass it lists this as playable 2 player coop. What does that consist of? Is it just fighting a skirmish on a battle map? Or can you play a campaign together somehow?

Back
Top Bottom