Total War: Warhammer 3

With Khorne, aggression is good. Your Lords have a meter that goes up when you fight and down when you don't. Also, the quickest way to get money is to win battles. I've found exalted bloodletters to be incredibly good in melee, but early game, normal ones are still decent. You'll want to get some anti large units up (halberd chaos warriors) if you end up facing down human units as you'll face a fair amount of cavalry. For other chaos factions, generally a mix of melee charges and cavalry launched into their rears will do the job as they are very weak to intense leadership drops.

As posted above, rapid expansion along with growth in an early province to get you the advanced units you need will yield good benefits. Once you have a good base province, you might consider just dumping garrison buildings and economy buildings into provinces to save you having to babysit them so much (especially once the rifts start spitting out hordes). As you grow you will obvs want to have recruitment buildings dotted around so you can top up your armies or build additional ones.

Sorry if this sounds patronising or condescending; not sure where your knowledge level is at so far with you being a beginner:

Every settlement is part of a province, and provinces have a combined population growth. The more growth you have, the faster you generate "population surplus" and that surplus is used to create higher tier settlement buildings. Each minor settlement goes from tier 1 to tier 3, and some capitals can go to tier 5. The higher the tier the primary settlement building is, the more secondary buildings you can make. If you have 100 growth per turn, and it takes 400 growth to reach get +1 surplus, and the settlement building takes 2 surplus to build, then you need to wait 8 turns to build it. Building more secondary structures to increase growth drastically speeds this up.

Ignoring each factions main mechanic, growth is more important than income early on since you want to build up infrastructure quickly. By the early mid-game it switches to about 50/50 as you want more income to field more armies. By late mid-game income becomes more important than growth as by this point most settlements should be at their maximum tier or/and have significant surplus stockpiles.

General rule of thumb as a beginner: I'd just recommend constructing a growth building and an income building in every settlement, with the exception of maybe the capital if it goes to rank 5 (as you want to keep those valuable building slots for higher tier buildings that minor settlements can't make). The third building in minor settlements can be a basic military building that caps at rank 3, another infrastructure building (i.e. control), or a defence building (i.e. garrison that can add walls).

Also, if you're not opposed to a restart, I'd advise picking someone like Cathay or Kislev to get to grips with the game (Cathay are easier). They both have a more typical strong and varied army composition and their mechanics are not that difficult or punishing to deal with.

Thanks for this.

With Khorne, aggression is good. Your Lords have a meter that goes up when you fight and down when you don't. Also, the quickest way to get money is to win battles. I've found exalted bloodletters to be incredibly good in melee, but early game, normal ones are still decent. You'll want to get some anti large units up (halberd chaos warriors) if you end up facing down human units as you'll face a fair amount of cavalry. For other chaos factions, generally a mix of melee charges and cavalry launched into their rears will do the job as they are very weak to intense leadership drops.

As posted above, rapid expansion along with growth in an early province to get you the advanced units you need will yield good benefits. Once you have a good base province, you might consider just dumping garrison buildings and economy buildings into provinces to save you having to babysit them so much (especially once the rifts start spitting out hordes). As you grow you will obvs want to have recruitment buildings dotted around so you can top up your armies or build additional ones.

Thanks

This game is complicated!

So what's the deal with the portals that open? 4 of the options are to enter a realm and one of them is to traverse.

Whats the end game. Take over the map, or is there some race I am meant to be trying to win to get to the Bear?

Last edited:
This game is complicated!

So what's the deal with the portals that open? 4 of the options are to enter a realm and one of them is to traverse.

Whats the end game. Take over the map, or is there some race I am meant to be trying to win to get to the Bear?

For the main campaign in this game, it's a race.

You're seeking to capture four Daemon Prince souls in order to access the Forge of Souls, where Ursun is imprisoned. To do this, you need to complete the objectives in each of the Chaos Realms. Painting the map isn't really the aim here (which is odd for a Total War game).

Have you played the prologue? The story elements make far more sense when you have.

For the main campaign in this game, it's a race.

You're seeking to capture four Daemon Prince souls in order to access the Forge of Souls, where Ursun is imprisoned. To do this, you need to complete the objectives in each of the Chaos Realms. Painting the map isn't really the aim here (which is odd for a Total War game).

Have you played the prologue? The story elements make far more sense when you have.

Yea I have played the prologue.

So basically instead of me going around trying to capture everything I should be trying to get the Daemon Prince souls.

I guess the point is though, that in order to do that I need more than just 20/20 of the initial unit types. I need stronger units? Which means a better economy and settlement upgrades?

Yea I have played the prologue.

So basically instead of me going around trying to capture everything I should be trying to get the Daemon Prince souls.

I guess the point is though, that in order to do that I need more than just 20/20 of the initial unit types. I need stronger units? Which means a better economy and settlement upgrades?

Yeah pretty much. I mean you also want levelled up lords/hero's as they give you serious army buffs and magic. You could turtle up once you have a full province and focus on growing the main settlement up to level 5 so you can access the advanced units with the t5 buildings. But then when you send your main army off to the warp for like 10 turns you will need an army at home holding down the Fort, and the rifts spit out rogue armies. For that you need money etc. I prefer to just wail on everything and expand so I can have big armies everywhere. Then if I screw up and lose one it isn't such a setback.

I am struggling in this game on normal.

I think the mistake I have made is sending my main army off to get the weapons 'slaughter and carnage'. When I got there I found that my main army 20/20 was not strong enough to defeat the army that was there, they had two sets of army, so I then wasted all the time trying to get back whilst being besieged at my home province.

I have since got things back under control, but honestly I don't really know what's going on. :p

CA dropped some details for patch 1.1

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/dev-diary-1-1-20220318/

REALM OF CHAOS
The Realm of Chaos has been one of the most prevalent discussion points amongst the community, and we’re using this update to implement several bug fixes and gameplay tweaks that change how it fits into the mechanics of the game. This includes several key changes:

• The strength of the negative Realm traits has been reduced by roughly ~50%.
  • Daemon Legendary Lords will no longer be burdened by the negative traits of their respective patron god.
  • Traits gained in the Realm of Chaos will now be removed when a Legendary Lord completes the survival battle within that realm.
  • When a player intercepts an AI Lord at the Forge of Souls, their souls will now be lost—forcing them to restart their collection. This should make it easier to disrupt the Souls race.
  • The “Protection” building chain can now be used to prevent rifts from spawning in the province in which they’re built.
  • The rewards for gaining Souls have been improved by providing additional bonuses for a limited period of time.
Glad to hear we can now stop rifts spawning.
Also, mod support is on the way.

For anyone interested, the 1st game is free on epic at the moment.

Edit - Also looks like the 1.1 patch could drop on the 5th April

Last edited:
We should be getting the roadmap tomorrow.

x5zt4t2e93w81.jpg

It’s funny how they’re selling essentially bug fixes as “improvements” for the Q2 updates. So assuming there’s no delays, we’re looking at 4 - 6 months for Immortal Empires, which is all the community really wants at this point anyway.

It’s funny how they’re selling essentially bug fixes as “improvements” for the Q2 updates. So assuming there’s no delays, we’re looking at 4 - 6 months for Immortal Empires, which is all the community really wants at this point anyway.
Its rather like CP2077 in that regard, new DLC of a jacket, with amazing content improvement of a bugfix.....

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I pre-ordered no.3 because of how much I loved the previous titles. I knew the launch would be a mess, but I had faith they would fix the game, like they had done before. But I can't believe the sort of time frame we're talking about.

I think, once I finished my Ogre campaign, I'm going back to TW2.

Back
Top Bottom