Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
OP
That is just the muffler as well, not a full exhaust. For any power gains you need to change the whole thing and how much is that going to cost...

Some people have said their TRD exhausts have gone rusty as well (on other cars). So the quality of the SS might not be great. A bit of a rip off if so.

Surely the best bang for peoples moneys is a tuning box, easy 20-30HP for £300-400, not detectable by a dealership if you remove it before visits and it gives a solid power increase.

If exhaust and stuff are gaining only 10HP and cost 2k then what is the point, why pay to make it sound good for the sake for other people to hear, just keep the fake noise on and enjoy it in the cabin.

Soldato
Surely the best bang for peoples moneys is a tuning box, easy 20-30HP for £300-400, not detectable by a dealership if you remove it before visits and it gives a solid power increase.

If exhaust and stuff are gaining only 10HP and cost 2k then what is the point, why pay to make it sound good for the sake for other people to hear, just keep the fake noise on and enjoy it in the cabin.

Agreed. Though I suppose it really depends how far you plan to take it. Spending £2K on opening up the exhaust might be worth the 10hp and noise for now if you plan to also do turbo mods later.

Though personally I would wait until more fully tested tuning options came up before spending too much.

OcUK Staff
OP
Agreed. Though I suppose it really depends how far you plan to take it. Spending £2K on opening up the exhaust might be worth the 10hp and noise for now if you plan to also do turbo mods later.

Though personally I would wait until more fully tested tuning options came up before spending too much.

Agreed if your gonna turn it into a 400HP car then you gotta spend your money and do it right, full exhaust, new turbo, proper remap along with other supporting modifications, probably cost 5-10k of which you'd never get back if you sold it or very little off.

Soldato
I would say exhausts, for noise reasons, are the most popular mod done. The preferred route is to turn off the fake noise and have real noise from a better sounding system.

if you want to see expensive look at the JCR website for a titanium one, over 3K.

OcUK Staff
OP
I would say exhausts, for noise reasons, are the most popular mod done. The preferred route is to turn off the fake noise and have real noise from a better sounding system.

if you want to see expensive look at the JCR website for a titanium one, over 3K.

Also exhaust pricing is very much dependent on the marque of the car, its following / demand along with how much profit they think they can make etc.

A budget system on the Ferrari is £6000 and the systems you'd want are more like 10-15k, yes I get they are cars sold in small volumes so the R&D is expensive and they can only ever hope to sell so many systems, but at the same time the manufacturers assume if someone pays 200k for a car, then they won't mind paying 10-20k for an exhaust either. Thankfully the 458 and my SVR before it sound amazing on the stock exhaust so I never needed to drop thousands to get it sounding nice.

The GR Yaris we shall see, in my view a 30k car does not warrant 2k on a exhaust that is still never gonna sound amazing, its no Subaru or V8 end of the day, unless it yields more like 20-30HP its not worth it, plus as the GR is a car your likely to be driving fast then its probably best to keep it quiet on the outside so you don't stand out so much. The fake noise it makes is very pleasing, my only considerations at the moment are a tuning box and wrap to a colour I like.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Air filter may be the way to go it’ll give a better sound without costing the Earth.

Problem with exhausts are it’s a fine line between sounding better and sounding chavvy. You only really need it if your replacing the turbo.

Associate
The stock exhaust tips don't fill the bumper enough. Plus I do like a cheeky exhaust, it's the yobbo in me.

My first mod will be some form of flaps though, the shot blasting from the front wheels will just irk me badly.

Soldato
I don't think any exhaust would give a 30hp improvement on a forced induction engine. They may help a remap work better with lower back pressure. That said the CAT is more likely to be a the bigger cause, so fitting a sports CAT would help more.
The Titanium ones are promoted as a weight reduction item, seems a bit OTT on an affordable road car!!! So it's the enhanced sound your really buying with a 5-10 HP possible increase.
I like the look of what RS Fabrications are doing, bit better prices and dyno used to support the development.

OcUK Staff
OP
I don't think any exhaust would give a 30hp improvement on a forced induction engine. They may help a remap work better with lower back pressure. That said the CAT is more likely to be a the bigger cause, so fitting a sports CAT would help more.
The Titanium ones are promoted as a weight reduction item, seems a bit OTT on an affordable road car!!! So it's the enhanced sound your really buying with a 5-10 HP possible increase.
I like the look of what RS Fabrications are doing, bit better prices and dyno used to support the development.

My EVO X went from 358HP to I think it was 390-400ish (can't remember exact number) with a full Milltek turbo back system. Forge then fitted a larger intercooler which took the car to 415HP. In short my EVO X gained a solid 60HP with just two bolt-on modifications. The car was never remapped.

Modern cars have adaptive ECU's and dependent on manufacturer the factory ECU map can self learn to better fuels, better flow etc and adjust the map as appropriate using knock sensors, maf sensor etc.
When I took my EVO to one of the famous mappers at the time who ran it also on his dyno to confirm it was running such good power, which it did he explained that the ECU map, particular on the FQ-360 has a wide adaptive range and that remapping it would have yielded so little it would have been a waste of money. He said it made sense on the 300-330 models as they rear the max range of the adaptive ECU so will only hit 350-360 horses, hence a remap is needed to get them up towards 400 levels.

As so little is know about the GR Yaris yet, for all we know the stock ECU might respond very well to some good breathing modifications, we already know that the RS fabrication exhaust and ITG panel filter both deliver close to 15HP without touching the ECU. It is fair to say the real bottle neck in the GR Yaris exhaust is the front pipe more so and it is there I believe there could be yet another 10-20HP on the table, especially if coupled with a high flow catalyst, I'd not be surprised to see a front pipe and high flow catalyst even with stock catback still fitted pushing these cars to 290-300 levels, then add your tuning box and your at 320-330 levels, then throw in rest of exhaust and panel filter and maybe a solid 330 is possible, it will just be down on how flexible the stock ECU map is.

Soldato
I believe more modern ECU's, for example in my RS, even with better breathing don't always yield much better results as they are "mapped" to deliver specific power and torque outputs, so even with better breathing they will still level out at the same point. It's no longer a simple case of getting more fuel and air in and exhaust out if the ECU won't make use of it. Early day's as yet, this surely will be a popular tuners gold mine for years to come.

OcUK Staff
OP
I believe more modern ECU's, for example in my RS, even with better breathing don't always yield much better results as they are "mapped" to deliver specific power and torque outputs, so even with better breathing they will still level out at the same point. It's no longer a simple case of getting more fuel and air in and exhaust out if the ECU won't make use of it. Early day's as yet, this surely will be a popular tuners gold mine for years to come.

True, that was same case on my Mustang, bolt on as much as I wanted but the power would be 415HP every run, factory or bolt-on, the moment put a new map in that lets the knock sensors work with more flexibility and it was reading 460HP.

The fact the GR Yaris as already shown some healthy gains from just an exhausts, leads one to hope and cross my fingers that Toyota have left the stock map somewhat adaptive.

Soldato
True, that was same case on my Mustang, bolt on as much as I wanted but the power would be 415HP every run, factory or bolt-on, the moment put a new map in that lets the knock sensors work with more flexibility and it was reading 460HP.

The fact the GR Yaris as already shown some healthy gains from just an exhausts, leads one to hope and cross my fingers that Toyota have left the stock map somewhat adaptive.

The way I read it so far it was the tuning boxes that were giving us 300 rather than the filter and pipe work. I don't feel inclined to map and lose the 5 year warranty on the engine, an add on box maybe.

OcUK Staff
OP
The way I read it so far it was the tuning boxes that were giving us 300 rather than the filter and pipe work. I don't feel inclined to map and lose the 5 year warranty on the engine, an add on box maybe.

The guys at RS Fab I think dyno their car stock and it was around 267HP, they then fitted the catback exhaust which pushed it to 279HP area, they then added a tuning box and were at 309HP.

Soldato

Some won't let you gain power just from bolt-on stuff (or very limited amounts). You need to retune it properly :/

The Toyota engined Elises are like that, so there is a good chance these may as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Found this quite interesting and unexpected. Not too much of a surprise that the Civic Type-R and the Mini GP3 seem to have the legs on the Yaris at higher speeds when you look at other videos, but this was unexpected. I'd like to see a Golf R vs GR Yaris drag race :)

GP3, Type-R, GR Yaris

Last edited:
Soldato
The stats say the Focus still should have won though. The lighter weight will mean you get more immediate power but that gap is huge.

Even with fancy launch control it still lost. Not the first time I've seen that either vs just doing it yourself.

Soldato
Yep, also stock it lacks low/mid range torque and is much taller gearing, hence it hits 62 in second the GRY in 3rd, which masks it true speed. Need a few mods to sort it ...

The GT86 was geared like that as well. Couldn't hit 62 in 2nd :/

(I don't even know why we keep using 0-62 in the UK, makes no sense)

Caporegime
The stats say the Focus still should have won though. The lighter weight will mean you get more immediate power but that gap is huge.

Even with fancy launch control it still lost. Not the first time I've seen that either vs just doing it yourself.

Toyota just know how to build a car when they really put their mind to it. Ford just slap a load of parts bin bits on and hope for the best. Do not forget the Yaris was built from the ground up in their Lexus factory. The same factory where the LFA, Gt-Four and LS400 were built. It really is a special car. The Focus is an adaptation of an already old platform which goes against it.

Back
Top Bottom