Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
OP
Found this quite interesting and unexpected. Not too much of a surprise that the Civic Type-R and the Mini GP3 seem to have the legs on the Yaris at higher speeds when you look at other videos, but this was unexpected. I'd like to see a Golf R vs GR Yaris drag race :)

GP3, Type-R, GR Yaris

The Focus RS is a slow car I’ve raced a few at VMAX events and they are nothing special, laggy, heavy and simply not enough power, even tuned they are nothing special.

A Golf R even stock if it’s a DSG will easily beat the Yaris I feel, manual version will probably be close. The Golf’s real strong point is they benefit hugely in real world performance from basis tuning, having owned one, the DSG with a map and some exhaust tweaks is a high 11s quarter mile car and that’s with just a few quid spent.

The Golfs problem is it’s very capable and a superb car but it’s boring to drive.

The GR, Type R and the Mini GP are all real proper cars designed by engineers pushing and tweaking to the max. I think once they are all tuned with similar power the Yaris will come out on top.

I hope the YouTube Channels will put a GR Yaris with tuning box up against the Type R and Mini in the dry along with a stock GR also to see the impact the tuning box is truly having as the box of tricks seems to be delivering some very impressive numbers and is a simple and cheap solution to gain 30HP.

The GR needs more power as it’s chassis is too good and I think 330-350 will be sweet spot but of course they will go all way to 500HP in future.

Soldato
The Mini GP is even lighter with around 300hp I think. They are much quicker on a circuit too afaik.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
500BHP Yaris, wow can't wait to see that mate.

I won’t be doing one but for sure they will exist considering HKS already have a 475HP car in testing.

I’ll be happy with around 330 be plenty in something that’s lightweight, but as always there is gonna be some crazy people pushing 500 plus horses out of them.

Soldato
I drove one again today but in anger and I love it even more. I’m definitely going to get one at some point.

It amazes me the level of grip it has all the time. Well, until the AWD system overheated anyways then I had to let it cool down before going again

Soldato
I drove one again today but in anger and I love it even more. I’m definitely going to get one at some point.

It amazes me the level of grip it has all the time. Well, until the AWD system overheated anyways then I had to let it cool down before going again

The AWD system is overheating on the road in these cold temps?

Soldato
I think I've seen someone else mention the AWD system overheating, can't recall whether it was here or not. Hopefully it's just people showing a complete lack of mechanical sympathy rather than any issue with the car itself. One of the reasons why I'm not to bothered about getting mine until much later into the year, is that it gives them a chance to sort out any teething issues that crop up in the earlier cars. I'm hoping, I think in vain that they may do something about the front visibility (rear view mirror and infotainment screen) and maybe adding more seat adjustment. I don't think either are likely.

Soldato
I guess it shouldn't really be throwing an overheating error even with spirited driving for an hour or so on the roads. That is likely how most people are going to drive it. If it's a common issue, I think we'd be hearing a lot more about it, although it is early days.

Soldato
I think I've seen someone else mention the AWD system overheating, can't recall whether it was here or not. Hopefully it's just people showing a complete lack of mechanical sympathy rather than any issue with the car itself. One of the reasons why I'm not to bothered about getting mine until much later into the year, is that it gives them a chance to sort out any teething issues that crop up in the earlier cars. I'm hoping, I think in vain that they may do something about the front visibility (rear view mirror and infotainment screen) and maybe adding more seat adjustment. I don't think either are likely.

That could be a problem when people start tuning especially. If it's overheating now, how will it be in on 35c summer's day.

I can feel another big Toyota recall coming on in a few years :p

Back
Top Bottom