Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Very much doubt we will see the likes of Ford/VAG doing a ground up homologation special. Ford struggled to get MK3 FRS signed off, then it has constrained by a tight budget. Which is a bit crazy, as if they or anyone that builds the "right" car then it will sell. The RS had to have about 2 or 3 production extensions to meet demand and the GRY is selling out, orders now are delivery in May 22. So the evidence is there.
Minimum Ford should do a proper Fiesta RS, I'd cancel my GRY order then and get one.
Yeah just a fiesta rs, polo R. Just a bit more power and 4 wheel drive would see them get close.Shame they are run by bean counters and not car people.

VAG just sell one car with various badges and body panels.
That’s irrelevant. Both Ford and VW know how to build winning cars. Take the WRC, the Yaris has won it for the last 2 years, the Fiesta for the 2 years before that and the Polo R for the 4 years before those, while claiming more wins and podium finishes than Toyota and Ford combined.

They know how to do it and have an extensive parts bin to choose from. So it’s not that they can’t it’s just they have chosen not too.

But they don't actually sell the Polo R. They keep churning out cookie cutter stuff which is a shame.

Ford and Toyota's sporty cars are much more fun to actually drive.

That’s irrelevant. Both Ford and VW know how to build winning cars. Take the WRC, the Yaris has won it for the last 2 years, the Fiesta for the 2 years before that and the Polo R for the 4 years before those, while claiming more wins and podium finishes than Toyota and Ford combined.

They know how to do it and have an extensive parts bin to choose from. So it’s not that they can’t it’s just they have chosen not too.

Lol what are you smoking? Toyota have won 6 drivers championships and 4 manufacturers championship in their history and their stage wins more than likely smashes anything VW have ever done going all the way back to the 70's.

Toyota also did F1 for quite a while and it's racing involvement goes right to the top of the company. VW itself doesn't really have much racing pedegree.

WRC kinda fell off the radar for most, it isn't what it used to be. The big players kinda drifted off a long time in all but name.

Last edited:
Lol what are you smoking? Toyota have won 6 drivers championships and 4 manufacturers championship in their history and their stage wins more than likely smashes anything VW have ever done going all the way back to the 70's.
Not smoking anything just stating facts. During the last 8 years VW have it 4 times, Ford 2 times and Toyota 2 times. VW picked up 31 wins during those winning seasons and 42 podium finishes, Ford 6 wins and 15 podium finishes and Toyota 8 wins and 14 podium finishes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers'_champions

My point is all of them are capable of producing winning WRC cars, but only Toyota have decided to produce a proper road going version and credit to them.

Not smoking anything just stating facts. During the last 8 years VW have it 4 times, Ford 2 times and Toyota 2 times. VW picked up 31 wins during those winning seasons and 42 podium finishes, Ford 6 wins and 15 podium finishes and Toyota 8 wins and 14 podium finishes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers'_champions

My point is all of them are capable of producing winning WRC cars, but only Toyota have decided to produce a proper road going version and credit to them.

What facts? Toyota have won 18 full WRC events since their return not 8.

Also you understand that the Fiesta and Yaris had nothing to do with the manufacturers but were built by independent race teams? You understand how WRC regs work?

Toyota homologated the Yaris for the chassis only. They didn't have to make the GR4 for regs. They could have just made it a fwd shopping car with a 1.2 if they wanted.

Last edited:
What facts? Toyota have won 18 full WRC events since their return not 8.

Also you understand that the Fiesta and Yaris had nothing to do with the manufacturers but were built by independent race teams? You understand how WRC regs work?

Toyota homologated the Yaris for the chassis only. They didn't have to make the GR4 for regs. They could have just made it a fwd shopping car with a 1.2 if they wanted.
I’m just quoting wins during the winning seasons as Wikipedia have.

This is not a vw or Ford is betterer thing it’s just that some seem to think that Toyota have some sort special sushi sauce.

Creative rule interpretation and work around......

If they had been Ferrari in F1 it would have been covered up and never spoken of again :D

Work around?

The restrictor plate itself was completely legal and up to spec. However, once the restrictor plate was installed and tightened into place, a set of hidden elastic washers would compress to open a 0.5cm bypass between the restrictor plate and the turbo intake. Although this seems like a meagrely sized bypass, it was capable of drawing a substantial amount of compressed air that granted the Celica an additional 50HP over a completely legal setup.

Sounds more like a get around the whole point of a restrictor plate.

Yes it was a cheat, I was just having a laugh.

Lets be fair, every team at the highest level of motorsport is looking for that edge. Be that bending the rules or taking them to the absolute limit, which includes breaking them in many cases.

I’m just quoting wins during the winning seasons as Wikipedia have.

This is not a vw or Ford is betterer thing it’s just that some seem to think that Toyota have some sort special sushi sauce.

I would argue that they do have special sushi sauce. They had no reason to make the car but they did which is to be commended. It goes totally against the grain of what is hot and sells. Most manufacturers are just too corporate to even consider something like it.

I would argue that they do have special sushi sauce. They had no reason to make the car but they did which is to be commended. It goes totally against the grain of what is hot and sells. Most manufacturers are just too corporate to even consider something like it.
Which goes back to my original point that VW and Ford are run by bean counters not car people. It has nothing to do with engineering or lack of ability, if they thought it would increase their bottom lines you would see a Polo R or a Fiesta RS to rival the Yaris but as Rally is a shadow of this former glory they obviously see no benefit.

It’s such a shame as it wouldn’t take much to produce either car my Polo with an apr remap would see it match a Yaris in a straight line but it will run out of grip before puff due to a lack of 4 wheel drive.

Which goes back to my original point that VW and Ford are run by bean counters not car people. It has nothing to do with engineering or lack of ability, if they thought it would increase their bottom lines you would see a Polo R or a Fiesta RS to rival the Yaris but as Rally is a shadow of this former glory they obviously see no benefit.

It’s such a shame as it wouldn’t take much to produce either car my Polo with an apr remap would see it match a Yaris in a straight line but it will run out of grip before puff due to a lack of 4 wheel drive.

Ford maybe I could see but VAG have very little identity in making truly special models. Maybe Audi in the early days with the original RS models but most since has just be rehashed and bumped up numbers of old models.

So like I said they were on the right path with the S1 that’s why I say a Polo R would be pretty decent.

Well done Audi, this one's a proper little stonker: fast, small, fun, a 4wd hot hatch done properly.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/audi/s1/driving

Just slap on the bigger turbo from the Golf R and the 4wd system but keep the weight the same 1250kg as the Polo gti and you have a Yaris rival.

Back
Top Bottom