Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Currently deciding whether any point still. Holding what I hold.

I've tried selling before at an expected dip and got it wrong more than right.
Have you ask yourself why you invested in the first place, this goes for any investment. Would you still invest today? If the answer is yes do nothing. If the answer is no consider selling.

Mainly sticking to index trackers is a lot easier..

Probably went a bit early on this years ISA allowance though. I've been buying gilts instead recently in the GIA.

Have you ask yourself why you invested in the first place, this goes for any investment. Would you still invest today? If the answer is yes do nothing. If the answer is no consider selling.

Mainly sticking to index trackers is a lot easier..

Probably went a bit early on this years ISA allowance though. I've been buying gilts instead recently in the GIA.

I'm moving to indexes. I've been watching s&p500 and as of 1 month (due to me thinking a few sectors were going to improve) it's doing better than me.

So, reluctantly. Im probably just going to move everything to index trackers.

I'm going to guess
Red Tomorrow and red for at least half of next week.

I don't see the harm in timing the market in any positions that are fairly recent ones.

I always try to average down my positions when they are new, selling a bit for profit then topping it back up if it goes under.
usually works out fine.

I'm moving to indexes. I've been watching s&p500 and as of 1 month (due to me thinking a few sectors were going to improve) it's doing better than me.

So, reluctantly. Im probably just going to move everything to index trackers.
You can't judge anything by one months moves though can you. 10 or 20% moves in individual stocks is nothing really, just market whims.

I've got a few shares that i can sell but having never really dealt in shares don't fully understand the Capital Gains Tax. I was planning on selling 3 or 4k of my shares but not sure on figuring out the gain. Is it easy enough to just assume its all gain and stay under 6k over the year? Does my income come into it all?

Try asking on moneysavingexpert forum as they reguarly deal with that kind of tax question.

Roughly speaking your income doesnt alter your capital gains allowance and I believe you can receive 10k a year profit. So deduct what your originally paid from the final sale.

double check all that as it might have changed recently, it used to be a ton more complicated to account for years.

Rivian is looking a 'memey', skimmed a bit more off today. Just keeps on going.

Its the future! really hard to judge forward multiple earnings type stocks. Nvidia is correct price ? seems true of all the 'best' usa stocks. [MSFT used to be cheap but mostly FTSE companies desire the values US stocks get, RDSB was last mention of a transfer there etc]
I would only say simple thing which is competition almost always comes in, Ford is cheap and quite able to design make and sell cars of any type?; could be wrong who knows but just a take I heard and seems reasonable rather then buying into high multiple valuations.

Last edited:
Thanks, back in work today and found documentation which says it'll be subject to be income tax and NI contributions. Im in the higher tax bracket so will be 40% plus whatever NI is worked out as.
I would have thought the tax would have just been gains tax. Guess that will be because they're auto purchased out of my wage.
I've been paying in for 3 years so will just have to wait a few more years. It states I don't pay gains tax so least can take them out in large chunks. Thanks for the advise =)

They're through work in a Sips scheme, according to governments site you don't pay gains, ni or income tax if they're held for 5 years in the plan. I'll have north of 20k in the scheme by then. Shares have dropped a tadge under £9 a share for the first time in a bit. Time to not look at share prices for a while =)

Yeah if it was bought through an employee share scheme then it would come under income tax rules. It would probably be better holding on to them till they are no longer subject to tax if you are confident the company is fundamentally well run and profitable.

Not exactly looking to trade but just buy a few £100's worth of shares in one or two companys as an investment ( might buy some more further down the line ), what platform would you recommend for this sort of thing, I don't really want any monthly fee's as I will be fairly inactive with very few transactions.

Cheers.

Not exactly looking to trade but just buy a few £100's worth of shares in one or two companys as an investment ( might buy some more further down the line ), what platform would you recommend for this sort of thing, I don't really want any monthly fee's as I will be fairly inactive with very few transactions.

Cheers.
t212

Back
Top Bottom