Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Agreed but it comes to a point when you need to spend the money and not just keep on accumulating (especially when your towards your latter years)

It all depends how you are investing it.. I have most of my shares in a stock and shares ISA now.
Before this year where you can only have one of each (Cash and S/S ISA), I had my trackers in an ISA and my individual companies shares in a normal trading account. But since we can have more than one SS ISA now, I've been selling off my individual company shares and re-buying them in a SS ISA (Bed and ISA).

I only have my work shares and few pounds left in different normal trading accounts. We can't have work shares (SIP/SAYE) in a ISA for tax reasons, also I think it's actually held in a US holding.

I would suggest that you start moving your portfolio into an ISA in 3k chucks per year; or whatever the captial gaines allowance is. Some companies will bed and isa it automatically for you, while some you have to do manually.

But believe me, as soon as my work shares matures or my individual companies shares are in the green, they are getting sold and the money is going to my stocks and shares ISA.

Reactions: SPG
Anyone holding Broadcom? I missed the Nvidia party but Broadcom has done well but may have a way to go still. Nancy Just bought in.

Holding a bit but at a fairly high average of $1700. Will wait for split and if it climbs after I’ll probably sell it and take the money. It’s been fairly volatile and I have too much in it having been trying to buy dips.

It all depends how you are investing it.. I have most of my shares in a stock and shares ISA now.
Before this year where you can only have one of each (Cash and S/S ISA), I had my trackers in an ISA and my individual companies shares in a normal trading account. But since we can have more than one SS ISA now, I've been selling off my individual company shares and re-buying them in a SS ISA (Bed and ISA).

Im confused as to why you'd open a taxable account if you do not max out your ISA allowance.

Before this year you could have multiple ISA's, but you can only contribute to one of each type per year.

Im confused as to why you'd open a taxable account if you do not max out your ISA allowance.

Before this year you could have multiple ISA's, but you can only contribute to one of each type per year.
Because my tax free broker account doesn’t allow purchases of individual companies shares.

I have two of taxable accounts as one is done with work for sip and saye, which I can use for my own shares but they charge transaction fees and management fees.

Also I’m subject to blackouts for certain shares, due to insider knowledge which would stop me buying shares in certain companies at certain times. The system just stops you from buying all shares during the period not just the ones that I have knowledge off.

So I have a transaction and management fee free account, where I can still pay shares during blackout periods… obviously I don’t buy/sell shares in companies where I have insider info.

A taxable account used to have a decent capital gains tax personal allowance, so you could use it tax free for modest amounts, but the personal allowance is much lower now (12k down to 3k iirc).

But why if you don't use your isa allowance? I've been gradually moving money out of a non isa account I set up ages ago. Can't do it all in one year now as the limit is too low.
If that limit keeps lowering more and more people could fall foul

After doing a bit of reading i bought in to Broadcom yesterday, lets see how it pans out aim a couple of percent up which has covered costs at least
I looked at broadcom back at 1300.
Didnt buy though.

I'm still sticking to 60pc VUAG and 40pc individual shares. Which are often present in VUAG anyway.

Shopify has been OK,
Meta = good
Nvidia = great (nearly 100pc up)
ARM = great (3x long)
SMCI =great (100pc up)
Roku = small gain
Sound hound = moderate loss
Dwave = flat. Missed a selling point!
Cloudflare = good
Ionq =bad! 30pc down!
Coinbase = great 100pc
Uniti - bad 10pc down

Overall up since switching to USA shares. But I'm moving more to 70:30 etf:individual stocks next month I think as i don't think it's worth the time/effort for me when VUAG is so easy.

I have bought in a little UK security company that's doing well. But there's no specific news as to why. RNS recently have been great. But I'm up 40 percent on it. And it's quite small.
CNS.L if anyone wants to check it out.

Last edited:
I looked at broadcom back at 1300.
Didnt buy though.

I'm still sticking to 60pc VUAG and 40pc individual shares. Which are often present in VUAG anyway.

Shopify has been OK,
Meta = good
Nvidia = great (nearly 100pc up)
ARM = great (3x long)
SMCI =great (100pc up)
Roku = small gain
Sound hound = moderate loss
Dwave = flat. Missed a selling point!
Cloudflare = good
Ionq =bad! 30pc down!
Coinbase = great 100pc
Uniti - bad 10pc down

Overall up since switching to USA shares. But I'm moving more to 70:30 etf:individual stocks next month I think as i don't think it's worth the time/effort for me when VUAG is so easy.

I have bought in a little UK security company that's doing well. But there's no specific news as to why. RNS recently have been great. But I'm up 40 percent on it. And it's quite small.
CNS.L if anyone wants to check it out.
I'm 70% in VUAG and have been for some time. It's been fantastic (25% + in a year) but I'm watching it like a hawk, because it could easily go either way.

I’m mainly split VHVG, VFEG and added IITU this week. I did hold VUAG but wanted a bit more non US hence the combo above. May add it back in at some point. IITU has been good so far. It’s steady and whilst IT focused, it splits away from being stacked into Mag 7.

I bought Broadcom as an individual as a gamble. It hasn’t paid off really. Bought more to lower average and will get out of that and back into the ETFs only after split.

Last edited:
Everyone in the industry is concerned about equity market concentration given the crazy price appreciation of the tech mega caps (The Magnificent 7). If you're a fund manager and don't hold Nvidia, Meta etc you underperform the benchmark and have to explain to clients. The rise in passive investing exacerbates the issue as more capital is flowing in to market capitalisation based benchmarks which adds further upward pricing pressure. The crazy thing is from a valuations perspective, Nvidia isn't even that expensive as the earnings projections are constructive and most of the semiconductor companies like Micron are at full capacity and sold out for the next few years. You'd be nuts not to have A.I. exposure yet it still feels like the Nasdaq 100/S&P 500 are in line for a correction and we're still not really seeing a 'broadening out' of the market rally that has benefited the Mag7. If the Fed do finally cut rates I reckon we'll see that broadening out but it's just not happening in a meaningful way right now.

I also think the market is still underappreciating the potential of Tesla. It's easy to look at the slowdown in EV adoption which is driven by short term political uncertainty and higher financing costs but it's clear in the long term Tesla are going to dominate autonomous taxis and robotics, the former especially is going to be huge. Musk also now has the incentive in play given the shareholder vote on his pay package, he has confidence to develop the tech that potentially could change the way we live our lives through Tesla. Incentives are a huge part of share price appreciation like it or not.

Last edited:
Everyone in the industry is concerned about equity market concentration given the crazy price appreciation of the tech mega caps (The Magnificent 7). If you're a fund manager and don't hold Nvidia, Meta etc you underperform the benchmark and have to explain to clients. The rise in passive investing exacerbates the issue as more capital is flowing in to market capitalisation based benchmarks which adds further upward pricing pressure. The crazy thing is from a valuations perspective, Nvidia isn't even that expensive as the earnings projections are constructive and most of the semiconductor companies like Micron are at full capacity and sold out for the next few years. You'd be nuts not to have A.I. exposure yet it still feels like the Nasdaq 100/S&P 500 are in line for a correction and we're still not really seeing a 'broadening out' of the market rally that has benefited the Mag7. If the Fed do finally cut rates I reckon we'll see that broadening out but it's just not happening in a meaningful way right now.

I bought micron in this mini dip.
I can't see AI going away.

I really need to buy Microsoft too.
We have copilot licenses and I am seeing the fade out of Google with chat gpt and copilot etc.

I can genuinely see I soon will no longer need to use Google for 50pc of my "searches".

Microsoft fabric is crazy. If companies have the cash it's the new world for data.

Microsoft are pushing aggressively. And if you're a Microsoft house you'll probably end up on fabric if you have the pockets

Back
Top Bottom