Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Wonder if the fed will go with a 0.50% cut next month now. They probably don't want to look like they're panicking but saying that, they always seem to be a bit slow with their decisions.

I wonder how that would affect ours? Suddenly governments are being reminded why we had low rates last time.

Wasn't so long ago people were saying the interest rate could go higher and what would you do if it 8%.

No way. There's no way 8pc would be needed here. Even 5pc is crippling.
There's so much debt (personal and corporate and national) 8pc is just not necessary.

I'm betting if this is the start of a crash.. Or even a bubble bursting. Rates could come down much faster than expected.

But yeah there was talk of 8pc. Just showed how hard it is to predict.

I'm a tad annoyed I didnt see this coming. I've seen reluctance for clients to move to cloud. And multiple instances of azure going down. Only last week I was chatting about "is the cloud really the future? Providers can basically charge what they want. How can you escape if you become fully embedded? And theres too much down time"

Last edited:
Shows how vulnerable things like the S&P 500 are though, big rewards but also big losses when just a few companies have such impact. It all works out in the end though, as long as you don't need the money any time soon...

Last edited:
Hold.... Selling will just crystalise the loss....

What else are you going to do with the money if it's invested for the longer term?? Stick it in cash?? - the big problem is then, when do you re-invest it.... When is the bottom? etc etc.

Assuming you invested for medium to long term in ISA/pension etc - just leave it well alone....
I have some invested in my SIPP, not much, but I've held that for a few years now. If I sold I'd put it into a cash savings account. At least you're guaranteed to make ~4% on it.

I have some invested in my SIPP, not much, but I've held that for a few years now. If I sold I'd put it into a cash savings account. At least you're guaranteed to make ~4% on it.

Problem with cash is that you'll never get a real acceleration trajectory going on.

Stocks on average returning 8-9% per year are capable of compounding on themselves much more effectively than cash is.

Cash is safer but over history even including the crashes like 2008 and the dotcom bubble, it's still under performed stocks by quite a bit.

But you'd be crystalising a loss of say 3-4% on the sale, then waiting a year in cash to get it back to even....

Then when do you invest it again??

Assuming your more than say 3-5 years from retirement, leave it well alone in your pension.

Time in the markets, is better than timing the markets

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth messing around with already invested pension funds tbh, no one can really guess where things are going, I'm just leaving mine alone and it should eventually go up again. Especially if not near to retirement.

Meanwhile each month that my workplace pension adds more, it's cheaper than my average.

Problem with cash is that you'll never get a real acceleration trajectory going on.

Stocks on average returning 8-9% per year are capable of compounding on themselves much more effectively than cash is.

Cash is safer but over history even including the crashes like 2008 and the dotcom bubble, it's still under performed stocks by quite a bit.

One thing though, is that you get the interest monthly or annually.

With stocks you only actually make money when you decide to sell (apart from dividends)..

One thing though, is that you get the interest monthly or annually.

With stocks you only actually make money when you decide to sell (apart from dividends)..

Right but you can annualise things, and 4-5% interest has to first beat inflation which is usually 2% but could be higher, and then you are left compounding the rest. It's why you have AER measurements for interest.

With a well invested index fund thing you can turn £100K into £1M with enough time via the magic of compounding gains.

With cash I don't think you can, you'll just slowly gain more cash but not in a way which will change your life or set you up for retirement.

Last edited:
Wonder if the fed will go with a 0.50% cut next month now. They probably don't want to look like they're panicking but saying that, they always seem to be a bit slow with their decisions.
I think that’s possible. Consumer demand is getting weak and jobless rates are up so most countries will be looking to cut and accelerate the cuts a bit.

With the current crash it looks like I'm back to where I was in May. Disaster!
:cry:
Anyway...
It was all feeling way too overheated and I'm glad this will give me more time to pump extra cash in at a lower price point!

It's all noise in the long term.

I love this system. One day someone decides it's not worth it and then everything comes crashing down.

It's utterly bizarre really.

I've got 300k krona to lose before I'm back to square one this year....

Hold my beer.....

The dumb **** is it'll probably be back by end of the year

Last edited:
I love this system. One day someone decides it's not worth it and then everything comes crashing down.

It's utterly bizarre really.

I've got 300k krona to lose before I'm back to square one this year....

Hold my beer.....
Yeah what are we even doing. Maybe coke and hookers really is the better long term strategy. :D

Back
Top Bottom