Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Obviously I've seen this before but I've not b been so invested (lol). So the amounts hurt a tad more than before.

In hindsight (I know) it would have been better to have put everything into a cash isa. I'm down on the year.

All that time researching stocks. It's a waste of time. Would have been better to hold cash and wait for a crash. Then pile in. It's actually what I used to do when I only had a few K after buying the house. After covid first hit I bought all I could.

Obviously this is hindsight and overall it's better to keep investing.

But this has been a painful lesson in single stock investing. Especially tech. Which I'm guessing many many people are also in. Especially PIs.

You guys did say! :D

Can't believe aviva is probably one of my better shares this year.

Last edited:
Bring back 1.7% mortgages and cheap debt! Print some money!
I take solace in that my rate is 1.9..and the losses I would have from not remortgaging when I did (and hence being on 4-5pc) have just been lost on the stock market instead! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: fez
I take solace in that my rate is 1.9..and the losses I would have from not remortgaging when I did (and hence being on 4-5pc) have just been lost on the stock market instead! :D

We had to remortgage back in December which was reasonably peak. We went from 1.9% for 5 years to 5.5% for 2 years. Very painful but thankfully we have been overpaying large chunks that entire time. We were thinking 2 years would see us down to 3.5% or so but its already been 8 months of the 2 years! Time flies eh.

Obviously I've seen this before but I've not b been so invested (lol). So the amounts hurt a tad more than before.

In hindsight (I know) it would have been better to have put everything into a cash isa. I'm down on the year.

All that time researching stocks. It's a waste of time. Would have been better to hold cash and wait for a crash. Then pile in. It's actually what I used to do when I only had a few K after buying the house. After covid first hit I bought all I could.

Obviously this is hindsight and overall it's better to keep investing.

But this has been a painful lesson in single stock investing. Especially tech. Which I'm guessing many many people are also in. Especially PIs.

You guys did say! :D

Can't believe aviva is probably one of my better shares this year.
Please, if you do anything, just move most of your investments into a global index fund or smilar and just forget about it.
Keep a small amount of 'play money' if you really have to.

Today is crazy, the VIX is up 180%!

nM0rIS8.png

The pre markets on US tech stocks are looking pretty brutal right now, it feels like its been coming for a while, day traders will be very excited all this movement.

Last edited:
If the pandemic taught us anything, it's to sit tight and weather the storm. I'm just going to ignore the news and have a look at my stocks in several weeks time. I was kind of expecting something like this ... had a meeting with my financial several weeks ago and he was more optimistic about the future ; I was more circumspect about volatility / geopolitical issues. Guess I was right ... again !

Only thing I've done is buy £2K of John Wood :)

Of my single companies, I don't hold anything too speculative - other than the above. Will just ignore the short term and carry on.

If the pandemic taught us anything, it's to sit tight and weather the storm. I'm just going to ignore the news and have a look at my stocks in several weeks time. I was kind of expecting something like this ... had a meeting with my financial several weeks ago and he was more optimistic about the future ; I was more circumspect about volatility / geopolitical issues. Guess I was right ... again !
Yup, don’t try and catch a falling knife.

People think it's related to Japan or potential recession in USA, why isn't anybody wondering whether it's a potential huge conflict in the middle east when Iran decides to attack Israel ?
It’s probably a few things but it appears Japan was the match that triggered it on Friday. Apparently there was a lot of borrowing in Yen due to the very low interest rates that was then being used to buy stocks in other currencies like Nvidia. The surprise rise of interest rates by Japan then caused the currency to increase in value by 8% and wipe out gains and cause losses. This caused a panic with people selling and money transferring back to Yen which was increasing the value further making the situation worse.

People think it's related to Japan or potential recession in USA, why isn't anybody wondering whether it's a potential huge conflict in the middle east when Iran decides to attack Israel ?

Because it's the BoJ being forced to raise interest rates from below zero. This has destroyed the yen carry trade and has a major impact on liquidity.

Last edited:
It’s probably a few things but it appears Japan was the match that triggered it on Friday. Apparently there was a lot of borrowing in Yen due to the very low interest rates that was then being used to buy stocks in other currencies like Nvidia. The surprise rise of interest rates by Japan then caused the currency to increase in value by 8% and wipe out gains and cause losses. This caused a panic with people selling and money transferring back to Yen which was increasing the value further making the situation worse.
Yes, the so called Yen carry trade but it shouldn’t come as a surprise when the BoJ increased interest rates. It’s been well forecast recently.

Back
Top Bottom