Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

hqhOabo.png

PLTR beat earnings and carries my portfolio once more, Wish I would have bought more but it didn't quite go under my cost average so I resisted

alantir Technologies Inc. (NYSE:PLTR) reported strong financial results for Q2 2024, with revenue growing 27% year-over-year to $678 million*. Highlights include:*

- US commercial revenue up 55% YoY to $159 million
- US commercial customer count increased 83% YoY to 295
- Government revenue grew 23% YoY to $371 million
- GAAP net income of $134 million (20% margin)
- GAAP EPS grew 500% YoY to $0.06
- Adjusted free cash flow of $149 million (22% margin)

Palantir raised its full-year 2024 revenue guidance to $2.742 - $2.750 billion and US commercial revenue guidance to over $672 million (47% growth). The company expects continued GAAP operating income and net income in each quarter of 2024

Took my profit and ran for now. I’m sure it will grow and I’ll jump in again later but with so much exposure on other things I took a little out.

I was going to buy before market close and earnings call but got a phone call and missed it. Wasn’t going to be much but would have made a few hundred quid more. Shame on poor timing.

Market today has been weird. Riding it out in lots of red positions. Not selling them for now and when I get more money in I may buy some of the lower and more undervalued. For now though will keep extra cash on hand.

Not really a big deal today if I'm honest. Was hoping for some circuit breaker action. Yes, down a bit, but nothing you haven't seen through the years.

Crowdstrike:

Crowdstrike seems to have settled at 220ishat the moment
definatly seems a good buy.

Given RKLB is so low at the moment, it see it as a long investment with good returns prospects..(wait untill i buy it and watch as it nose dives! & company folds..)

i took a gamble on Nvidia.. lets see what happens before the quartly report and if i hold or sell before or after..

Had same.

After a dip into the red yesterday, I'm now back in the green for the last 3 months, and very green for the year still.

No idea where things are going, but I don't plan to do anything differently.

I decided against trying to time the market and I'll just keep pumping in chunks of cash on my usual monthly date.

Had same.
Unless you're day trading, daily, weekly, even monthly movements don't really matter.

Sure I check mine every day, but even a big sad red like the last week it doesn't even register a shrug, just markets doing market things. Only time I might act on checking mine is if there's been a massive upswing on a particular stock and I might skim a little off back to cash ready for the next red day.

TL;DR - If you're looking at your portfolio thinking, 'oh no, it's down X amount', then you're doing it wrong.

I'd add if you went down 12% in that little blip consider some diversity, you must be heavily concentrated and probably mostly in US tech.

So I finally opened a 2nd ISA, I've been with the same broker for more years than I can remember. To be fair I have paid no attention to what is out there, so I was surprised that I can get an ISA completely free, no charges for the ISA or for trading. This made me think.
Im a medium risk income investor, I tend to hold shares a long time and re-invest/top up

I could never be a day trader, but I am thinking of funding the new ISA with a few K and trying to trade the dividends. So invest in a share a couple of days before it goes ex and then sell a couple of days later and re-invest in the next one, rinse repeat etc.
I know this is hardly ground breaking, but for my usual style of investing, it is revolutionary for me. Not paying fee's on the trades or a monthly fee makes this more of an attraction for me, I will have to see what the spread is of course.

I know prices jump before the dividend and fall after and if there is surprise news I could be caught out, but this is money Im willing to write off if needed to learn and try something new now that Im entering a more financially stable part of my life...

I guess I just fancy a change, I will still do my research and not trade everything, or certain yields, but Im in the mood for something new

Last edited:
So I finally opened a 2nd ISA, I've been with the same broker for more years than I can remember. To be fair I have paid no attention to what is out there, so I was surprised that I can get an ISA completely free, no charges for the ISA or for trading. This made me think.
Im a medium risk income investor, I tend to hold shares a long time and re-invest/top up

I could never be a day trader, but I am thinking of funding the new ISA with a few K and trying to trade the dividends. So invest in a share a couple of days before it goes ex and then sell a couple of days later and re-invest in the next one, rinse repeat etc.
I know this is hardly ground breaking, but for my usual style of investing, it is revolutionary for me. Not paying fee's on the trades or a monthly fee makes this more of an attraction for me, I will have to see what the spread is of course.

I know prices jump before the dividend and fall after and if there is surprise news I could be caught out, but this is money Im willing to write off if needed to learn and try something new now that Im entering a more financially stable part of my life...

I guess I just fancy a change, I will still do my research and not trade everything, or certain yields, but Im in the mood for something new
I think if you want to gamble like that, you'd be better off dumping the majority of your S&S ISA into a couple of funds (say like £9k each into 2 funds) then using the remaining £2k to "gamble" with on single company shares. Funds aren't particularly exciting to trade with, even if your transactions are fee free.

That's just my opinion though, I've had good and bad experiences with shares (though the good generally in funds, the bad generally in single company shares).

Last edited:
I'm only taking a portion to gamble with. My original ISA is staying untouched and I will continue to add monthly.
This is just an idea driven by the new ISA and their no fees for anything.
I'm going to look at the dividend calendars, do some research and test with a few small trades first to test my chart skills

The ex-dividend date is usually priced in, you're not acting on any novel or unique insight that the whole rest of the market knows as well.

You are far more likely to get your meagre gains wiped out by some external factor than consistently make money trying to beat the market.

Trading isn't 'free' either, however it's advertised, your broken is still taking a cut on the spread which is eating into your potential gains.

I'm only taking a portion to gamble with. My original ISA is staying untouched and I will continue to add monthly.
This is just an idea driven by the new ISA and their no fees for anything.
I'm going to look at the dividend calendars, do some research and test with a few small trades first to test my chart skills

Doesn't sound a great plan to me. You'd be better off researching what companies are able to pay a decent and stable dividend and buying them for the long term. Companies that can throw off cash are the ones you want. Some examples: DS Smith packaging, Big Yellow Storage and National Grid.

If you don't have time for the research, then you could look at funds with a dividend strategy, although I prefer buying the shares myself, as you avoid more charges.

Back
Top Bottom