Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

I've got an S+S ISA with Vanguard. I've got a regular DD setup to invest a chunk of cash into VHVG on a monthly basis. The problem is, you can only buy whole units (no fractional shares), so each month I buy 1 or 2 units, then the rest sits in cash in my account until I remember to login and manually buy a unit or two with the leftover cash after a few months.

Is there any way around this? I was hoping for some kind of auto-reinvestment when my cash balance exceeds £X amount or something like that.

I've got an S+S ISA with Vanguard. I've got a regular DD setup to invest a chunk of cash into VHVG on a monthly basis. The problem is, you can only buy whole units (no fractional shares), so each month I buy 1 or 2 units, then the rest sits in cash in my account until I remember to login and manually buy a unit or two with the leftover cash after a few months.

Is there any way around this? I was hoping for some kind of auto-reinvestment when my cash balance exceeds £X amount or something like that.
Vanguard only allows you to buy whole shares and fractures of funds.

Newer companies like t212 will allow you to buy percentages of a share..

I tend to dollar cost into my t212 account when it comes to market trackers and bulk buy into my vanguard… along with a monthly purchase of a mutual fund.

I think the laws have changed now but previously you wasn’t suppose to have percentages of shares in an isa, just that some companies allowed it and then the government said.. yeah ok…

Worst thing about crypto is it now follows the markets. It didn't used to way back. When btc was 200 quid a coin it was completely erratic but it did not follow the market.

Why didn't I buy more! :(

Last edited:
Because you didnt know the future?

You could say it about any number of things, if you put your house deposit in NVDA shares 5 years back you'd be a millionaire etc.

I know. I jest.
If I had been following it I would have cashed out sooner. I was lucky I forgot about it and later found it.

if a time traveller from 5years from now could kindly contact me, i have a few questions for them i was wondering if they might be able to assist with..

new erra for Crypto now if its following market. stil seems volatil though. so money to be made like anything else.
and the old adage of you have to be in the race to win it. comes to mind.
hink all my purchases are red.. you can gaurantee as soon as i decied to cash out (at a losss) it will all go green!

ow no, not planning to at the moment, but some times things happen in life and you have to consider options.
some times its a case of are you going to get your investment back with extra, or do you cut your loses, and get something back.
one of my investments i know im not going to get back at least for a good few years since the value of them per share are worh less than a 1p i.e. -99.94% assuming it manages to survived the entertainment squeese coming.
rule one only invest what your willing to lose.

if a time traveller from 5years from now could kindly contact me, i have a few questions for them i was wondering if they might be able to assist with..

new erra for Crypto now if its following market. stil seems volatil though. so money to be made like anything else.
hink all my purchases are red.. you can gaurantee as soon as i decied to cash out (at a losss) it will all go green!
Maybe im dreaming but I've noticed crypto seems to lead the market. I've no idea if it's an actual thing but I noticed it twice recently, BTC sold off and a day or 2 later Nasdaq is plunging. Personally I just stick to BTC most of the crypto space is pure meme stuff.

I think as it's matured though and become larger then more alignment with the market is expected, the early days of BTC were all about pump n dumps, that's moved to meme coins and meme stocks now.

Don't invest in crypto. Swing trade the volatility if you want. If you want to invest, invest in something that generates value. Long term a spread of S&P, FTSE, DAX trackers will beat crypto.
Well, yes, I guess. Buy index trackers. Hold long term. Win.
This one's easy, don't sell when you're in the red.

Don't invest in crypto. Swing trade the volatility if you want. If you want to invest, invest in something that generates value. Long term a spread of S&P, FTSE, DAX trackers will beat crypto.

Well, yes, I guess. Buy index trackers. Hold long term. Win.

This one's easy, don't sell when you're in the red.

I dunno. Crypto has been an amazing return over most time scales.
Its by orders of magnitude the best thing I ever put money in.

Sure it seems to have settled down last few years but it has done very well.

I dunno. Crypto has been an amazing return over most time scales.
Its by orders of magnitude the best thing I ever put money in.

Sure it seems to have settled down last few years but it has done very well.
Past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

Worst thing about crypto is it now follows the markets. It didn't used to way back. When btc was 200 quid a coin it was completely erratic but it did not follow the market.

Why didn't I buy more! :(
Yep it's an indicator of US market liquidity/macro now and because of volume it's literally the first mover anytime the US economy see's bad/good news.

Last edited:
Past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

Yeah but what else is there to go on?
If it was said "avoid crypto" at any point in the past and then a couple of years later it would be proved wrong.

It really isn't unrealistic anymore to see BTC at 100k.

Every milestone was seen as an impossibility. But they keep falling.

Definitely only buy in the dips though but it's a fairly good bet you'll make a good amount on it.

Yeah but what else is there to go on?
Fundamentals. Value. Past performance that goes back centuries rather than a few years of increasingly limp hype phases.
If it was said "avoid crypto" at any point in the past and then a couple of years later it would be proved wrong.
You can say the same about stocks any point in the past 100+ years.
It really isn't unrealistic anymore to see BTC at 100k.
No more realistic that seeing it at 50k again.
Every milestone was seen as an impossibility. But they keep falling.
What milestones? By whom?
Definitely only buy in the dips though but it's a fairly good bet you'll make a good amount on it.
Like I said, trade the volatility if you want. Although you could do the same with any instrument. Long term it's a poor investment in my view.

My prediction is that crypto will continue to go through periodic hype phases, trending increasingly lacklustre as the world realises it's fundamentally providing no more value that it did years ago and people get bored of the same guff from crypto-bros and lose any confidence that the line is magically going to go up. The next shiny new tech bubble comes along and it fades into obscurity.

The S&P will outperform BTC over the next five years and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom