Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I had held if for the last two years. Had to get out to pay off the last of my debt.

Shame I couldn't get back in before this.

So that's Sareum (SAR) and now Solo oil (SOLO) I've gotten out of prior to it going skyward. :rolleyes:
Time to give up I think. :D

if there is one ting i've learnt buying shares, its patience.
buffet was right - hold and don't trade often gives much larger gains.

Caporegime
So long as you realise a spreadaccount is like a broker who gives terrible spread quotes on the bid/offer then send me a message and I'll recommend a few depending on what you what to deal

Why not post your recommendations in the thread - tis relevant to the discussion - there are only a few spread betting companies in existence in the UK anyway. CMC, IG, city index, capital spreads etc... Lots more brand names out there but lots of them are just white labels.

For example if you trade through Barclays stockbrokers you're not actually trading with barclays you're trading on a white label platform provided by city index.

If you trade with paddy power or with tradefair (betfairs's spread betting site) you're not actually trading with either paddy power or betfair you're essentially trading with capital spreads

Most people who use SB have paranoid delusions the company is out to get them, reality is its easy to mess up the cashflow and market volatility, etc aka japan mini crash, etc

Actually from speaking with a few friends who work/have worked at these places some of that isn't necessarily unfounded - if you try to scalp them etc.. you'll find yourself watched pretty quick and will start to experience delays getting filled - this is quite deliberate.

Most clients won't get hedged, clients trading in size who are consistently profitable will need to be hedged, have their orders routed to a dealer rather than filled automatically - this can also cause execution delays. They'll also be watched fairly closely - these places are a bit paranoid and there have been instances in the past where staff members have colluded with mates etc.. in an attempt to rip off the firm.

Soldato
I almost sold some GKP yesterday. Was flipping a coin between that and CEY and decided CEY was the better candidate to shrink down slightly (to reduce my risk overall)

Plus on top I had previously done my homework and set a sell order for GKP at 181 so I gained an extra 30p per share between yesterday and today on my small GKP sell which went through while i was AFK.
Normally i miss these things or sell just before the rise :p

Latest acquisition is going to be a small scaled buy on HOC
Silver miners are some of the most profitable companies in the world now thanks to silver price doubling in 12 months. Thanks Ben Bernanke

I hope CNR gets its silver. I bought back what I sold for lower prices but earlier then the 8.5 target I set, no big deal.
I dont own too much relative to risk?. I'll leave the orders there too

P90 value of 4.9 billion barrels to a P10 value of 10.8 billion barrels of oil-in-place with a mean value of 7.5 billion barrels and a P1 value of 15 billion barrels

So 750 bn dollars in oil? and a market cap of 2bn and CNR has like 1.4bn & 0.072bn

Ignoring costs, etc GKP is lower rated by far I guess. Could GKP be like Cairn and go to like 8 pounds or at least over 5, seems not impossible

http://www.petroleum-economist.com/...-enemies-within-and-without.html?LS=EMS513240

Last edited:
Soldato
Any thoughts on BARC?

I am waiting for them to fall to around 280 to buy back in again, I sold some weeks ago taking a nice profit. It seems to bounce between 270 and 340.

My old man and I trade together and the lucky git took a 6 figure profit on BARC just before the came back down in price a few weeks ago :D

Soldato
Why not post your recommendations in the thread - tis relevant to the discussion

Im not sure it is exactly, unless we're talking about WMH IGG LCG PMY WSPR 888 as share investments, all maybe worth looking at. Its classed as gambling, it involves a lot of risk probably best done over email as mostly I would recommend amateurs stick to unleveraged most of the time as I do. SB is expensive

I use them to trade the edges of a holding, anyone investing five figure sums could go to interactive brokers or similar and get good real time services. I skimp and spreadbet instead.
Biggest advantage is tax free status I think, but many just use an isa to get that

All I sent to Russ was what I found best, which company and I offered to refer him to another guy who will charge for some tutoring.
Better off reading http://nakedtrader.co.uk/FAQ.htm then anything I say

I sold HDY yesterday and its up a lot today, doh. Looking for it to top at 244 so I dont feel sick.
I transferred the money over to BP as its related. People smearing themselves with oil at the AGM could be a nadir, of sorts anyway :p

I think HDY had ok cashflow and maybe good prospects but it was a failure for me, 7% + gain over 18 months pocketmoney, cant complain though
BP is better cashflow, better everything most likely under storm clouds for maybe a long time though

Decided not to do HOC but ANTO instead. They give 5% div soon and also likely to continue well enough to justify it. The div will pay out this years entire earnings, why dont they always do this. Anyhow I think they will earn this money back again, I dont think they will fall but others do

ie. Goldman Sachs.
Any thoughts on BARC?
, look at BCS also which is basically lehmans v.2
GS BCS JPM all related as global investment banking and related to dollar and usa politics I guess

I'll post up my chart based view later. JPM pays a nice dividend I think, pity I cant really see myself buying any but maybe that is cheaper/nicer to buy
Investment banking relys on government policys I think, its complicated?
They rely on low rates, on these strange bond sales and QE fiscal voodoo. They borrow cheap dollars and spread it around, any rise in dollar cost hurts them like cheap finance hurt Northern Rock, Barc is volatile for good reason

Mostly its beyond my reckoning, my guess Barc is ok at this price. The range is 250 to 390. Buy more below 300 and sell off towards 330 and above - to scale & in proportion.

Ive been buying more lloyds recently, wouldnt mind a larger holding but they keep staying above 60. We need a crisis

Irish default comment is here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0414/1224294668831.html

Glencore is a business we should all be interested in – and far greater transparency is now required. On the day it joins the stock market, it will rocket straight into the FTSE-100 index using the "fast entry rule" which allows a company with a market value equal to more than 1% of the FT All-Share Index to avoid the wait for the usual quarterly review. It will be only the third time the fast entry rule has been used – and the first time in 25 years. At that point, however, pension funds and index trackers will be forced to pile into the shares and millions of us will own a slice of this hitherto secretive business.

Will we get to buy any :o First time in nearly 3 decades, that sums up overall the dynamic events continually occurring now imo

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im not sure it is exactly, unless we're talking about WMH IGG LCG PMY WSPR 888 as share investments, all maybe worth looking at. Its classed as gambling, it involves a lot of risk probably best done over email as mostly I would recommend amateurs stick to unleveraged most of the time as I do. SB is expensive

It doesn't really make it any different to any other form of trading in principle - just means its treated differently for tax purposes. A spread bet is just another delta one derivative - though as you've quite rightly pointed out it is indeed generally expensive - perhpas deceptively so as I'd guess a lot of punters wouldn't quite realise the cumulative affect the wider spread has on their P&L and assume the commission free/tax free nature of the product made it a cheaper option.

Wise Guy
Soldato
What is your guy's reasoning/research for being long on oil, gold, etc. besides the fact everyone else is?

And if it's to profit from currency devaluation/inflation please explain how it's effecting commodities. Not trying to troll I'm trying to understand because I'm close to buying some short etfs on commodities from my own research.

The fed has given all these reserves to the banks, and the banks ploughed them in to commodities right? Then everyone else followed suit and the prices have gone up. But is there an underlying demand from the end-users to justify the prices? Because wages and other assets have not gone up, only commodities.

Soldato
BTW there is good money to be made in shorting the czech currency at the moment. Its bounces between 27.5 to 31 to the GBP and its about as low as it has ever been.

Back
Top Bottom