Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Nice success Simon. All I can say about SB is take profits often, Ive gained then lost 50 quid from a simple bet in the space of about 10 mins. Thinking it surely could not reverse right back down and yep it did.
Market is very spikey in both ways, Mr Benn and the FED is tomorrow apparently. I expect disappointment either way but with richter graphs

Bought back some Kaz from last week to hedge my hedging short position :confused: :p Copper really not well recently, hence ANTO biggest faller
In the end I'd rather hold them [year on year average price is what counts most of all ditto gold, etc]

Was torn on selling my Tech fund at about even, some of the fastest gains for years last week.
wasnt sure so held but i expect falls unless ben helps but everyone here knows how great tech potential for growth is

I will switch into a blackrock gold or JPM natural resources this year due to general failure of market to rate long term profits for companies mining gold. FCX owner of worlds largest gold mine has striking miners problem but even so they are 7 PE You would not believe gold is the fastest profit growth industry of recent years

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm out (of everything)

£900 loss over all but bills need paying and I can't hold out any longer.

Sick to the teeth.

I'm out (of everything)

£900 loss over all but bills need paying and I can't hold out any longer.

Sick to the teeth.

That's a bummer mate, sorry to hear you weren't fortunate this time round. Many a time in the last 12 months I've considered getting out and using what was left (~40% down at one point) to live but managed to get through just.

Just hope the hold out was worth it now!

Soldato
^^Forced selling never good, this market remains harsh :/

Posting this as its mentioned on this thread before I think

Max Petroleum a Speculative Buy

Says James Faulkner of WatsHot.com

On WatsHot.com, James provides two hot new recommendations each month, as well as regular updates on his share tips and a daily column. Although past performance is no guarantee of future success, and some tips have gone down in value, the average gain per tip as at 31st December 2010 across the 23 stocks tipped last year on WatsHot.com was 73.28%. To get more top tips like this from James, including 2 in the next 10 days, join WatsHot.com now.

And here’s why James thinks that Max Petroleum is one of the hottest oil plays around…

Last week’s drilling update from Max Petroleum merits a review of this long-running WatsHot favourite, which looks like it could be about to finally deliver the goods. The sagw-1 exploration well in the Sagiz West prospect reached a depth of 1,406 metres with electric logs indicating 27 metres of net pay, including 21 metres of oil and 6 metres of gas pay, over a 114 metre interval in the Triassic formation. Reservoir quality was said to be “very good” and the company estimates oil in place in the Sagiz West Field at 66 million barrels with expected recovery factors ranging between 20 to 30%. Along with other successful wells drilled of late, this brings the overall success rate with the shallow exploration programme to 50% since January 2010. The company has now moved on to drill the ask-2 exploration well in Block E, targeting Jurassic and Triassic reservoirs with estimated unrisked mean resource potential of 50 million barrels. More wells will follow through to 2012 as the seismic information is fed into the company’s model.

Drilling these smaller plays before moving on the bigger fry makes sound economic sense, but the market has been stubbornly disinterested for some time now. With sizes ranging from 9 to 50 million barrels, these prospects are not huge but they are numerous enough to add up to a significant production base for Max, while drilling costs are low at less than $2 million per well. The company is already a producer – to the tune of around 2,200 barrels per day – from its Zhana Makat licence, but recent progress should see production rise to 3,500 bopd from Zhana Makat alone. Moreover, once the company has ffd (full field development) approval (anticipated around December 2011) it will sell 80% of its oil into the international market. Max Petroleum has indicated that the after tax effect of selling oil into the external market is equivalent to a $15-$17 per barrel increase in crude oil prices. In short, the cashflow situation for Max is improving considerably.

The exploration schedule for 2011 remains mouth-watering for investors, with remaining prospects targeting a total of 117 million barrels. These include the Sagiz West (mentioned above), Zhalgiz South, Asanketken Triassic, Uytas North and possibly Karasai South. The potential on offer is such that broker Merchant Securities can “scarcely think of another junior oil & gas company that has a comparably aggressive exploratory drilling campaign over this period.” And this in spite of the fact that none of these are among the bigger, pre-salt prospects!

However, the initiation of drilling activities in the deeper pre-salt plays, which are purported to contain more than five billion barrels of oil, remains the key catalyst as far as the market is concerned. Drilling at the Emba-B prospect is expected to commence in October and should take around 180 days and $30 million. Max is approaching the most exciting period in its development, yet the current valuation is wholly unreflective of the opportunities available. It is my view that this is one of – if not the – most exciting oil plays around at the moment. Speculative buy.

Bit of a reset in GKP today, my elected alternative HOIL more stable for now

USA just reopening at yesterdays highs, in theory positive on some euro news but I see resistance still and Italy got downgraded so there is some reason. Asia was negative overnight I think,
BLT once again today does the 1900 upwards gain, nice trade that one unfortunately I forgot to enter an order, others stocks moving weaker still

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep I've been in MXP for a few months now. The deep programme is due to start next month and if there shallow programme is anything to go buy, you'd be a fool not to put a few quid in.

Soldato
Glad ive had my ORE in the last few days, steady 10%+ rises have me back in profit, Dont know how much further it has to go but results due in the nex 7 days, RNS released to say lab results are slow because the sector is busy

Ive been in since the MVC (Medavinci) days, this one may be worth a look

Soldato
Nice drop in prices today. VED is back to 2009 April prices, a good time to seriously weigh up on a five year basis are these companies improving or not. Nobody can complain they didnt get a second chance on these prices, thats how I see it

My short on sp500 was good but I closed too early last night, got worse now but its just fall out from FED juggling bonds not printing money. Nothing material changed afaik

Also I bought way too early which means I cant buy now, I suck at this :o

Was checking out Petra diamonds, I think they are good. Ironic to consider luxury in these times but some of the world are going to get much richer in next few years.
On a good uptrend as far as I can tell, nice pullback.
They funded themselves via shares at 150p so buying below that now gives a nice bonus return on that capital investment :)

Condor pulling back to 6.5p Looking for 6

Capex is key to metals supply
Sit down with a mining executive to discuss the outlook for the sector amid the economic woes and within a minute, he or she will highlight the "strong balance sheet" of the company as a key difference today from how things were before the global financial crisis of 2008-09.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/49a50036-e4e6-11e0-9aa8-00144feabdc0.html

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
DOW fail

screenshotsz.jpg

Soldato
Investec Emerging Markets Local Currency Debt

OwXDL.png

12 Month Yield 6.51

Slightly tragic that I make more on bonds over the last year. I prefer emerging markets but USA treasury bond still reign supreme, its prices are the highest they ever been which is the polar opposite of 1980's FED which had interest rates at 15%
(dont buy high imo)

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factsheet.aspx?fundCode=I0F66&univ=U&pagetype=overview

OT perhaps

Most definitely not. Debt drives the world. I will try and post the data later but Stocks are dust in the wind compared to bonds, oil, cash for what makes a big splash.
Bonds are what finance & bankrupt companies, in terms of gravity shares revolve around the cost of money. Its what drives the market tides and waves of Stockmarket selling and buying is what we see on the surface come from bonds, etc

Im long stocks because bonds are so stupidly overpriced, its the housing boom and then some

l9vdC.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
FTSE crash today then. (4920)

So will G20 meeting cause a bounce back on monday is the question ?

Could be a nice long SB opportunity

Soldato
I thought G20 had already caused some disappointment as they wont act till Nov

Really not expecting a solution as such

Turkish Warplanes Bomb PKK In North Iraq
ARBIL, Iraq (AFP)--Turkish warplanes have bombed suspected rear bases of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, in northern Iraq, rebel officials said Friday.

The bombings began late Thursday evening and continued past midnight, and come after Ankara threatened earlier this month to launch a ground incursion into Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region where the PKK maintains bases.

They said there were no casualties as a result of the bombings, which targeted locations in the Qandil mountains, near Iraq's border with Turkey.

"There have been no casualties from the attacks, which continued until 1:00 am," said Dozdar Hammo, a PKK spokesman. "There were attacks against the Qandil mountains area."

A PKK source said the attacks began at 11:30 pm Thursday evening, and targeted the Kriskan village in the Qandil mountains area.

Thursday, a radical Kurdish group that Turkey says is a PKK front claimed responsibility for a bomb attack two days earlier that killed three people in the center of Ankara. The PKK says the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons is a splinter group outside its control.

Kurdish rebels fighting for autonomy in southeastern Turkey have recently escalated their attacks on Turkish targets.

Three security officials were killed in two separate attacks in east and southeast Turkey, Wednesday and Thursday.

The successive assaults come days after the Turkish government threatened to launch a ground incursion against PKK camps in northern Iraq.

The Turkish air force has bombed suspected PKK targets repeatedly since Aug. 17.

The PKK took up arms in Kurdish-majority southeastern Turkey in 1984, sparking a conflict that has claimed about 45,000 lives.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

September 23, 2011 09:27 ET (13:27 GMT)

VGM down to its Aug lows. Gold dropping quite a bit, looking for Aug start prices or April highs to hold and then continue same rises from there

Dollar rates for short term holdings are rising hence people are happy to buy and this knocks back gold value compartively is how it works I think.
This is not a long term thing as USA has problems with trade but rates were sub zero so theres leeway for dollar rise

HOC at 455 is a nice pullback, FRES much more expensive/bigger but a good guide. On my deskpad a week ago I wrote down RIO 3200 as a reasonable price so present prices are very nice. Careful with leverage, they can go back to 2009 prices in theory

I hold BHP as they produce oil and commodity mining costs rely on energy, all I can do now is buy Investec Global gold fund as part of a SIPP having sold out of a Tech tracker

BG group is one that could double I think

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
So it's what Bernanke did a few days ago with treasuries that is killing gold/silver right? Coupled with the terrible state of things in Europe.

But I wonder if all the gold/silver bugs will see it as the start of the bubble popping and unload.

My 200% short silver ETF is up nearly 50% since 2 days ago :D but I'm not sure when to sell it.

Back
Top Bottom