Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I'm in SOU but I bought in at 4.6p. Only have a small holding but nice to cash out evens or slightly up. My fault again for not following my limits and getting out sooner.

Soldato
Yeh, I'm in SOU too. I was 115% up before the crashes and never sold.. good to see it get back to where it should be though. Some of the AIM prices have been ridiculous.

Caporegime
sounds about right, SB has been fun over the last few weeks.

Not brave enough to SB, could always cap the potential max loss but it's not something i've looked into doing that much, think i will stick to throwing my money into the black hole which is AIM.

Hopefully now the euro has a better rescue plan things will start to improve, if they do i'm now set to ride the wave back up to the previous trading levels / prices, if this happens i will be a very happy lad indeed!

Associate
I dont get why the stock markets are reacting so positively. Is the crisis finished, because the way the stock market reacts, it's as if it has.

I wouldn't be suprised in the short term we will see a large drop but this is coming from someone that knows nothing.

Although I have been lucky to do well on Financial spreads because of the huge volitility recently.

Soldato
I dont get why the stock markets are reacting so positively. Is the crisis finished, because the way the stock market reacts, it's as if it has.

I wouldn't be suprised in the short term we will see a large drop but this is coming from someone that knows nothing.

Although I have been lucky to do well on Financial spreads because of the huge volitility recently.

Confidence has returned to the market because the Eurozone deal means that investors are not as worried about Italy and Spain defaulting on their debts. Ergo, investors will put money back into the oversold equity market.

Caporegime
Not brave enough to SB, could always cap the potential max loss but it's not something i've looked into doing that much, think i will stick to throwing my money into the black hole which is AIM.

Ive done well on stuff like BP and RIO with bigger pounds versus points.

NASDAQ and gold are for the brave only! Can move so quickly

Soldato
Buying the Nasdaq is a 5k bet I think, SB doesnt make that risky, more like the size does.
Buying small amounts gradually is a better idea, some SB companies will let you deal small depends how posh they are
1 unit is 100 shares

I think I worked out 1 gold was like buying 19k of it. Ive never walked into a shop and tried to do that and make a profit

If you like gold, buy some sovereigns which are tax free. SB isnt needed there

I accidentally sold some Barc today. Wishing I bought more on the lows or at least held the stuff I did get . Still got the shares I mentioned in Feb as being good to sell at 330 :o Didnt trade this one enough though. Still an amazing rise, hopefully this gives credence to my pipe dream of 300p

Simple BP chart - http://i.imgur.com/ryF2C.png

Took profits on VED

Bought CAD today as it didnt move and sub 50 is a reasonable buy. Sold some BP at 469.
Oil is up over 3% and BP is continuing up after hours. I had to sell some to reduce risks and take profits

Some of the move up is lack of sellers. Or short sellers buying back shares. They'll come again, these things go in waves and we can only guess the tides :p

Overall FTSE isnt that positive, its just a reversal situation. Over 6k and heading to 7k would start to qualify, BP is still on a PE of 6 or 7 which is incorrect

USA highest GDP figure of this year might make this rally continue ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
FTSE is at 5770 at moment.

NAS is up 750 points today, even at £1 a point thats nice movement.

BP going up is good as I'm long £5 a point and have about £5k in them which is seperate from my employee scheme. One of which I'm buying £250 a month for 5yrs at 3.68 option price.

BP are ex-div on 2nd Nov

Caporegime
Oh and I have a theoryon why TA seems to work.

Everyone who uses it, use the same tools so when a buy point is indicated on a chart they all follow it. If enough people use them and act upon these indicators then it is enough to affect market, especially if computers follow the same logic.

So tools aren't really telling you anything except the points to act like a sheep and follow everyone else, mind you I guess this is why they sometimes work. Sheep mentality :D

We should make some tools up and if enough people use it then they will be able to move the market too. :p

Soldato
Which came first the chicken or the egg. Self forfilling prophesy is one reason it works for a moment but the people who move markets are investors. Guess where the big money is going and get ahead of it and its profitable and it sticks so long as the company is really doing well (profit margin expansion or whatever)

Market cap of BP is 88bn so someone injected 18bn into just one stock in these last 18 days, has to be massive investors not traders who do that. Traders borrow money then have to sell
Sounds like you got a nice option on BP, Ive reduced it below what I owned in 2010 now.

Market is selling off into USA close but not that much, just the traders cashing the chips in. Hopefully Asia will follow and we can start another positive day tomorrow and I may get something to sell then.
Thinking of selling some Cisco in 19 area as its done well but I guess should hold in general
CREE rose 9.3% :cool:

bad news come out of Italy

Italy has tons of gold, its ones of the worlds biggest holders. Im really not that worried about them though my accounting skills may be lacking.
(Euro hit a top today in my estimate, its near inline with the 9/10 of 2010 monthly top prices. This could put market move on hold but hopefully not reversal :/ Forex > shares )

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh and I have a theoryon why TA seems to work.

Everyone who uses it, use the same tools so when a buy point is indicated on a chart they all follow it. If enough people use them and act upon these indicators then it is enough to affect market, especially if computers follow the same logic.

So tools aren't really telling you anything except the points to act like a sheep and follow everyone else, mind you I guess this is why they sometimes work. Sheep mentality :D

Its a flawed argument - if a particular indicator/pattern gave you an edge then trading it reduces the edge, everyone trading it further reduces and essentially eliminates the edge.... so you then would want to spot how to pre-empt that patter/indicator to get in first... but then so would others and the edge in doing that would in turn be reduced...

reality is that there is so much data out there and so many people analysing that data that simple TA techniques, if they ever did even provide an edge, won't provide one any more. Tis perfectly possible to test all this for yourself...

Back
Top Bottom