Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Today came the dip I've been waiting for to buy back into LLOY. Executed first trench at 76.50 and set a few triggers for any further dips.

Looking for an alternative investment to mining stocks. I did well on KAZ and XTA (GLEN) couple of years ago but not to keen on them atm. Any other med/long term stocks I should be looking at?

Caporegime
Royal Mail flying. 571 now.

Lloyd's could be a good long term stock especially if paying dividend. How different are they to RBS though?

Soldato
Do you guys all have funds and trusts in your S&S's ISA's as well then ? which ones do you have ? i am aiming to have £500 in 10 different ones to add diversification and then stocks outside that

ATM i have

Aberdeen Property Share Fund
Accumulation Shares

Artemis Strategic Assets
Retail Accumulation Wealth 150 fund

Jupiter Strategic Bond
Accumulation Wealth 150 fund

Marlborough Multi Cap Income
Retail GBP Accumulation Wealth 150 fund

Edinburgh Investment Trust plc
Ordinary 25p Shares

Cazenove UK Smaller Companies
Class B Accumulation

Is my best performing fund, might be worth a look.
300% in 5 years.
70% in 18 months
26% in 6 months.
12% in 3 months.

Have struggled to find any recent material on MML apart from the recent drop in output.

Down around 30%ish at the moment. Obviously there's no telling if/when the next economic crisis sends gold on the up.

Would you continute to hold until the new year/until BEP to see where things head or cut losses when they are up slightly? I know gold is very different and effected by so many variables so is quite hard to answer.

Last edited:
Associate
Royal Mail flying. 571 now.

Royal Mail is the one that got away! teach me to be so cynical :o

I thought that they might have taken a slight dip with some investors cashing in on the rise so far, but clearly this isn't the case, unless they're holding out for the 600 mark?

I know it's possibly a daft question, but..... How much further do people think they'll go before leveling out?

Regards

Associate
I know it's possibly a daft question, but..... How much further do people think they'll go before leveling out?

Thats the £1m question! Who knows, JP Morgan think the company is worth £10bn which could put the shares at nearer £10 each... more likely somewhere between the Gov's valuation of £3.3bn and that mark. In which case they're still undervalued. Buy/hold.

Associate
I have bailed on buying merlin IPO shares as there are a lot of reviews of the situation saying don't buy and i was starting to see weaknesses in the balance sheet as well.

Bought another 1k of Shell instead for the 5% return

Caporegime
I have bailed on buying merlin IPO shares as there are a lot of reviews of the situation saying don't buy and i was starting to see weaknesses in the balance sheet as well.

Bought another 1k of Shell instead for the 5% return

Is it worth it once you include the fees and stamp duty?

Soldato
If it rises and pay divs, should be good.

Questor favours shell over merlin, debt is twice net assets with 80m free cash flow. Not sounding like much of an opportunity
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...s-in-Legoland-owner-Merlin-Entertainment.html

BP gains 11% while GKP loses 8% in October. I would have thought opposite originally

Royal Mail good for £6 as one broker predicted. I reckon its much closer to the top now but I will hold for div and stick with sales I already made of it. Without a bidder or major buyers continuing at this price I think its an optimistic price for whats basically a utility on a leash. Maybe better to favour those under fire currently like energy

cut losses when they are up slightly? I know gold is very different and effected by so many variables so is quite hard to answer.
Im not a good trader, cutting losses can be wise but I dont think this is a candidate to bail on.
I think in popularity, gold is washed out. I'd rather sell off when its being raved about, after all is just a block of metal. So to me its solid on the downside and upside I look to take profits. Long term I think gold is safer then it appears, its when they go insolvent that long term becomes pointless since they cant hold out but this company can so I wont sell at loss

Caporegime
so looks like ther is no way to get in on the IPO for twitter

would like to potentially have a go at spread betting on this one, is HL a good platform for this?

Caporegime
HL and tradefair are just white labels - neither of them actually provide spreadbetting but just market the service

HL = IG

tradefair = captial spreads (old site) or GFT (new site)

Soldato
It's not ironic. HL are terrible in my experience, not the service the company. My post would be ironic if IG index were piggy backing HL or run by the same parent company.

Caporegime
of course its ironic - its the same thing just with a different name... you advised both for and against the same spreadbetting provider on the basis of the name they're being marketed under

Associate
Article in The Economist saying they are not impressed with the prospects for the twitter IPO apart from some short term gains at the initial IPO

As they quite rightly say a lot of these tech companies have gone into the IPO already posting profits, Twitter has still yet to do this.

They conclude that anything over $18 a share is no good for the long term until they can prove there long term viability by capturing more advertising via all there mobile users.

How people will actually react at the IPO given the recent successes of facebook and google however is another thing....

Last edited:
Soldato
Google questor, article + video
Wouldn't touch HL w/ a bargepole. Try IG Index.

Best thing about HL is to own their shares, wish I'd bought them years ago. Very successful.
HL is great for trading unit trusts, shares much less so and spreadbet no idea but white label is no surprise

Ironic as its basically same service just under a different name
The interface or setup could make all the difference. One of these firms just changed their layout and messed things up royally imo, its the same price engine but Ive gone right off them now:(

capturing more advertising via all there mobile users.
FB had the same thing on IPO with mobile ads. Must be all fixed now ?
Twitter is only selling off a minority of the shares, this helps swing things over to demand and likely a higher price I think.
FB was a short because of the layered share sales coming later after ipo

Seems best to stick with the locals if you determined to go ahead, not my kind of thing but I follow these guys reports for 18 months or so

HRNe7p7.png
My share choices for 2013, marl was a dartboard selection :p

Back
Top Bottom