Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Suffering from a little FOMO, if i'd bothered to do anything a couple of weeks ago on a couple of shares I'd been watching I'd have more than doubled my cash on one, and about a third on another :(

Would've been a total gamble at the time though!

Soldato
Because this event has an end. It's not based on some fundamental systemic problem; it's an illness that, in time, will go away. Whether there's 10 spikes or this is it, we know that it will end, and the markets may have priced that in. Why can't the economy pick up where it left off?

Does it look / feel like a deeper longer recession than 2008 has been priced in? (WTO)

Soldato
Don't worry, you did not miss the bottom.

And yes, it is a fundamental systemic problem.

Maybe. Maybe not.

How is it a systemic problem? Has there been some fundamental shift in the way in which monetary policy works globally? Is there likely to be a restructuring of economic norms as a result of what is - essentially - a known quantity?

Opposing views are fine, and I respect your opinion. However, do you think that once this is dealt with, we are going to see a breakdown of a manufacturing and capitalist society? I don't. It might take a little while, but I don't think that human nature has changed as a result of a virus.

Soldato
Does it look / feel like a deeper longer recession than 2008 has been priced in? (WTO)

Do you think that industry will recover and things will revert to a mean? Will people still want the latest iPhone? Will people whose jobs have been furloughed return to employment assuming their business doesn't collapse?

I can't understand the lunacy of this whole thing. It's bad, I get it, I really do. However I can't see this as being a fundamental shift in the way the world works, and, in time, things will return to normal.

Check what people are saying around the world: it's not 'oh how ignorant was I, working hard to buy things, going out and spending money, I'll definitely stop that when this is over'. It's mostly 'can't wait for this to be over so I can go shopping, buy X, travel to Y' and so on. There's a coiled spring, in my view.

Soldato
I can't understand the lunacy of this whole thing. It's bad, I get it, I really do. However I can't see this as being a fundamental shift in the way the world works, and, in time, things will return to normal.

I agree. Obviously there's going to be short term trouble, but things will regress to the mean.

Associate
Suffering from a little FOMO, if i'd bothered to do anything a couple of weeks ago on a couple of shares I'd been watching I'd have more than doubled my cash on one, and about a third on another :(

Same here. I took a concious desision to not buy as it seemed to me that the 10% daily drops on the shares I was watching my have slowed but showed no reason why they would suddenly ciimb. I missed out on some big rises, but can't be annoyed as the information available at the time didn't really show what was abot to happen.

I suppose the good thing about frip feeding money into shares is that you stand a chance of catching these rises.

Soldato
Great, prudent conference call from Central Asia Metals (#CAML). Share price is down, but I've topped up. Quality company, quality management, excellent decision making.

Soldato

By all means learn from historical choices, but don't for a second get carried away with the benefit of hindsight.

Soldato
More online video calling seems like it’s here to stay long term. So if zoom has issues and is a ‘fad’ then how about old school Microsoft?

If people drop zoom they are likely to move to teams right?

Which company does well out of all the hosting for zoom, houseparty, Skype and Microsoft teams?
This is what I see. The big collab players; MS, Cisco etc. should win from this.

Soldato
My company is a zoom user. I think the issue with zoom is they are easy to replace.

The same way they took over from Webex another company can take from them. Google hangouts, bluejeans, Fuze. I can't think of one thing that zoom had that another didnt?

Soldato
Some nice gains today, i'm tempted to jump out and wait for a decline to move back in for a cheeky 5-10%. However, like most when I do this kinda thing it normally keeps going up!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
By all means learn from historical choices, but don't for a second get carried away with the benefit of hindsight.

Indeed, just wished I'd listened to my gut for a change ;)

But as you've mentioned, hindsight is a wonderful thing but not something that'll make me pile any money into something!

Caporegime
Some nice gains today, i'm tempted to jump out and wait for a decline to move back in for a cheeky 5-10%. However, like most when I do this kinda thing it normally keeps going up!

Been burnt on this more than once in both stocks and crypto. Basically gambling.

Really hard at this point
I'm half in for what I have to invest this year. Tempted to go all in as this is for long term (if I don't lose my job etc)

Soldato
Been burnt on this more than once in both stocks and crypto. Basically gambling.

Really hard at this point
I'm half in for what I have to invest this year. Tempted to go all in as this is for long term (if I don't lose my job etc)

Yeah i'm just going to hold. Even if i sell now and it drops tomorrow it takes a few days to clear so I may not be able to get back in right away.

it's this kind of thinking that gets me into trouble. HODL, go have a beer and forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom