Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
In fact, to make this a little more fun, post your ‘fun money’ portfolio (i.e. not your trackers!)

#AAZ - Gold miner with no debt. Continuing operations during COVID 19. As gold rises, their cash pile increases hugely.
#CAML - Copper, zinc and lead miner. Minimal debt, but quality operation. No immediate plans to close, but contingencies if so.
#GDWN - No update from them re: their ongoing situation, but a company that has been around for over 100 years, so not too worried (could be wrong!).
#CARD - down but not out. If we’ve peaked in this crisis, I expect a recovery here. Although I think this will probably go bump...
#AA - Good news re: their ongoing relationship with banks. Helping the NHS during this crisis. Likely to be held in good esteem with UK public, and also no immediate threat to business from C19.

Soldato
Would also appreciate some opinions of 212.
And happy to click a referral link!
As far as apps go I think the interface etc is great and I've had no issues with reliability. I've only dabbled here and there though so not a heavy user.

Sent you a referral by trust seeing as you offered. Free stock share apparently.

Soldato
In fact, to make this a little more fun, post your ‘fun money’ portfolio (i.e. not your trackers!)

#AAZ - Gold miner with no debt. Continuing operations during COVID 19. As gold rises, their cash pile increases hugely.
#CAML - Copper, zinc and lead miner. Minimal debt, but quality operation. No immediate plans to close, but contingencies if so.
#GDWN - No update from them re: their ongoing situation, but a company that has been around for over 100 years, so not too worried (could be wrong!).
#CARD - down but not out. If we’ve peaked in this crisis, I expect a recovery here. Although I think this will probably go bump...
#AA - Good news re: their ongoing relationship with banks. Helping the NHS during this crisis. Likely to be held in good esteem with UK public, and also no immediate threat to business from C19.

No breakdown like yours as mine's mostly local NZ stocks, but I've gone deep(ish) into government back retirement villages. Started out as a laugh made me a few thousand bucks already.

Invested in a local company that makes oral probiotics. Penny stocks really. I expect this one to take off once the Covid19 thing ends. They were posed for a decent expansion into North America but on hold for now.

Soldato

I took a leap and did a low value trade. (£1.05 buy and sell)

From what I can see, no fee on buy or sell, only stamp duty on the buy.
No fee on deposit of cash from debit card (I opened a ISA)
Yet to try the withdrawal

Also fired over a referral link :D

Associate
I've been using Trading 212 for several months - have a portfolio of £4.5K in there, spread across an invest account and a stocks & shares ISA. On paper losses at the moment, but using this opportunity to average out my cost average on quality companies.

No fees for deposits or withdrawals. If you fund your T212 account using a credit card, some credit card companies treat it as a cash withdrawal and charge you a fee for the privilege. On that basis I use bank transfer or my debit card to fund my T212 account - no fees so far from either on the bank end.

Be aware that if you come to make a withdrawal from your T212 account that they will only pay out to one of your funding sources - so if you do a bank transfer of the funds and later withdraw, T212 will only send the money back to that bank account.

In terms of taxes, none on any capital gains or divdends as a result of the stocks and shares ISA. On an invest account, it will be taxed over and above whatever your allowances are - think at the moment HMRC lets you keep upto £2000 worth of dividends tax free and upto £12,000 of capital gains? I'm not a financial advisor nor tax professional, so take my observations with a massive pinch of salt!

What you will get hit with, and is pretty much unavoidable, is stamp duty for purchases of UK stocks and for US stocks, there is no stamp duty but there is a with-holding tax applied at source to any dividends (think it's 15% IIRC).

There's a video on my YouTube channel with referral link and where I talk about getting started. Obviously not allowed to post referral links here (only found out recently), but someone (possibly from here) used mine yesterday and I got a free share in Under Armour. Would be nice to know what the other person got!

A work colleague signed up and we both got a share each in National Grid, relatively pleased with that one. Will likely sell the Under Armour share though. For anyone signing up, it's worth using a referral code from somewhere, it's free and you might get lucky and get something decent.

Associate
Iv been waiting patiently for US stocks to drop dramatically. And was confident that the ftse100 was yet to fall below 5000. That’s been my thoughts for the last 3 weeks since they ‘bottomed out’.

I’m shocked that the ftse and US stocks have shot up so much the last few days!!!

FOMO indeed. Feels like iv totally missed the bottom and now shares I was looking to buy are up 20+% :o

Soldato
You’re even more of an optimist than me! :D

In fairness I only have interest in the daily changes of my individual shares, the tracker will do its thing regardless. AAZ updated they it has continued to ship gold and is business as usual so the rise is deserved!

Soldato
Iv been waiting patiently for US stocks to drop dramatically. And was confident that the ftse100 was yet to fall below 5000. That’s been my thoughts for the last 3 weeks since they ‘bottomed out’.

I’m shocked that the ftse and US stocks have shot up so much the last few days!!!

FOMO indeed. Feels like iv totally missed the bottom and now shares I was looking to buy are up 20+% :o

That's what happens when you print trillions of dollars, and reduce interest rates to zero again, it has to go somewhere. All the inflationary effects trickle up into the stock markets. Neoliberalism isn't quite ready to die just yet, as long as the money-printing machines are still working.....

The big-cap companies will survive this rout and probably consolidate their market positions. The middle and small businesses are the ones that are going to get wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom