1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traffic light camera got me.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by luckypapyrussam, Nov 4, 2008.

1. luckypapyrussam

Hitman

So i was driving home today in the works van and the road wasnt really busy although a few cars were behind me every now and then, when all of a sudden the lights changed when i was pretty close, i looked in the mirror to see if it was safe to slam on for the lights but couldnt tell if a car was behind me or not so i had to go, then all of a sudden i got *flash* *flash* from the traffic light camera.

Im pretty sure the light was just red as i was going through them.

Just wondering is there a high risk of me getting 3 points and £60 fine?

I work as a mechanic and need my license to drive and i havnt had it long so 6 points and im back to square 1, if it does come back as that is there any way i can dispute and get the points removed?

Thanks.

2. jpmonkey69

Mobster

Lights don't just suddenly change from green to red.....

3. SamuraiTortoise

Hitman

You can only sit and wait and see if something gets posted to you. Double flash though doesn't sound good.

4. luckypapyrussam

Hitman

I no...

5. SamuraiTortoise

Hitman

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. luckypapyrussam

Hitman

Is there any way i can appeal if this is the case?

EDIT: Also is there a differance between double flash and single?

Oh and i forgot to say that i no two people who have had the same thing at the same lights one has done it twice and both havnt had anything through the post.

Any reason this might of happened or do they check the footage and see if it was right to carry on?

7. L0rdMike

Capodecina

I have had a red light camera go off before and not had anything.

Mine went off when it was green though. :p

8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

So dont run red lights then.

Like, DUH.

9. Justintime

Sgarrista

This is why you slow down when approaching lights so in the event of a change you're safe to stop. Speed cameras are a joke, red light cameras i totally agree with. However good luck and honestly hope you get nothing (points etc.. ) from it but learn a lesson nonetheless.

10. Hilly

Don

The only way it would flash and you wouldn't get done, is if it was out of film, or malfunctioning. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most digital now, meaning the chances of it being out of film relatively slim?

Take heed from it though dude, if you're approaching traffic lights and when they change you have to slam your breaks on, you're either going to fast, or you're not paying attention. Either way you'll learn from it.

11. Scania

Capodecina

I am an HGV driver and need my licence a tad more than you to do my job.

I try my best to anticipate situations before they arise (handy with 44tons behind you!) expecting traffic lights to change suddenly is one of those anticipation situations.

Put it down to experience.

12. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Just my opinion, not founded on any real study or evidence but it doesn't matter how good a driver you are or think you are, there will always be time when you'll get caught out like this, takes just a moments lapse in concentration or a distraction. The real crux is was there a red light camera at the lights when it happened.

Something similar happened to me a few months ago, approaching a pedestrian crossing in the outside lane, somebody in the inside lane decides my car isn't there so whilst negotiating the situation I never noticed that the lights had changed and sailed across the lights when they were on amber and got flashed.

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

In many things yea but not sailing through red traffic lights.

Not if they were on amber. If they did it was a mistake and you'd not have got done, so it's not the same situation

14. bledd

Don

amber gambler tbh

i'm sure we've all whinced and sped up a tad when amber turns up once or twice, now with cameras it's just not worth it..

i think it's 1.5 seconds it shows for? so basically if it's showing green and a few cars are ahead of you, prepare for it to change to amber

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  15. Griffo

Wise Guy

I like to anticipate lights changing too. Never been caught out yet.

Oh, while I'm here R420La6X2^6x3/4 can you tell me why so many lorry drivers have blue lights all over the shop? I was led to believe it's hillegal. Ta!

16. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

No sympathy.

A green light's sole purpose in life is to change to red, you should drive up to them as if they are just about to change. If they change too quickly for you to stop, then you're going too fast.

17. MadMossy

Soldato

Generally if a lights on green as i approach i slow down unless i know its just changed to green in that case floor it!

18. Ring Peace

Gangster

Why do you find it necessary to look behind you before braking for a red light? If a kid walked infront of you would you check behind first?

19. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Because if there's a vehicle parked up your ass it's generally not a good idea to slam to a halt. Remember mirror, signal, manoeuvre?

20. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

And therefore what is right in front of you gets ignored - even though it should prompt you to perform an emergency stop :eek: :confused: