*Transfer Window 2014/15 Season Rumours/Signings *AKA Man U fans listing every player under the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This is going to be the most insane transfer window for us... ever. We've got to get in at least 4 really top quality players.

Too many signings in one hit can mess the team up. Tottenham will testify to this.
The most successful teams generally buy 2-3 top class players per year (and this includes the Jan transfer window) plus 2-3 squad players.

2 top class players (c. £40m each), is enough for a single Summer. Our team is not as bad as some people believe.

The biggest jump in performance will come when Moyes is replaced. Until then, we could buy 10 x £40M players and we will still struggle to win the league.

Lack of confidence, low morale and a manager who has no ideas apart from using wingers/crossing is currently holding us back. We can't even beat Fulham (who are a laughing stock - no offence to Fulham fans), at Old Trafford. You don't need big signings to beat Fulham.

If Moyes is staying in the Summer, I'd rather he not spend too much money as I'd rather the remaining transfer kitty be reserved for the new manager.

Underboss
Can't see Lloris to Arsenal, I'd love to have him but x2-3 years ago, his first year at the scum he didn't cover himself in glory losing No1 spot to Friedel.

Chez is doing a decent enough job. I'd like to see us buy a new ST, RB, CB, DM. With Sanga holding off and our current lack of cover up front it would be nice. Santon would be a good replacement, he can cover both LB + RB positions and it still young.

Still some deadwood to shift - Bendtner, Diaby, Park.

Can also see Verm going to find some more regular football can also see Poldi going.

Man of Honour
Too many signings in one hit can mess the team up. Tottenham will testify to this.
The most successful teams generally buy 2-3 top class players per year (and this includes the Jan transfer window) plus 2-3 squad players.

2 top class players (c. £40m each), is enough for a single Summer. Our team is not as bad as some people believe.

The biggest jump in performance will come when Moyes is replaced. Until then, we could buy 10 x £40M players and we will still struggle to win the league.

Lack of confidence, low morale and a manager who has no ideas apart from using wingers/crossing is currently holding us back. We can't even beat Fulham (who are a laughing stock - no offence to Fulham fans), at Old Trafford. You don't need big signings to beat Fulham.

If Moyes is staying in the Summer, I'd rather he not spend too much money as I'd rather the remaining transfer kitty be reserved for the new manager.

Well we're losing Vidic, Evra and Rio at the very least. They were until recently three of our four first choice back four. I'm not convinced we have suitable replacements for them at the club? Jones gets injured too much, Evans is okay most of the time and Smalling is a headless chicken.

Then to start on central midfield, Carrick is the best of a bad bunch and we need ideally 2 world class players for that position.

I agree though, while we're playing a crossing game, a lot of the players we're linked to wouldn't be much use. It comes down to what Moyes wants. :(

If we are only going to be crossing it from the flanks, we need to get some midfielders who can sit back and shield the defence ready for the counter, and then get some seriously good wingers who have blistering pace and can put a good ball in. We also need to get someone who can head the ball and beat defenders in the box. Ugh. Mata/Kagawa/Rooney and RvP don't really fit this system. SO WHY IS HE TRYING TO USE IT!!!!

*shudder*

Soldato
How much can Manyoo spend, if you take into account the lack of Champions League income, in terms of financial fair play? Obviously it's still an awful lot, but I'm curious.

They're by far the wealthiest club in the premier league in terms of revenue:

12-13 REVENUE

1. Real Madrid: £444.7m
2. Barcelona: £413.6m
3. Bayern Munich: £369.6m
4. Manchester Utd: £363.2m
5. Paris Saint-Germain: £341.8m
6. Manchester City: £271m
7. Chelsea: £260m
8. Arsenal: £243.6m
9. Juventus: £233.5m
10. AC Milan: £225.8m

Man U have a wage bill of around £162m, compared to Chelsea at £173m, City at £202m, and Arsenal at £143m.

In terms of financial fair play, Man U will have a lot more freedom to spend than any of the other top premiership clubs. Even without Champions league football, they should be able to out-spend their rivals by a fair margin. Spending £80-100m in the summer is not an unreasonable expectation.

Soldato
The revenue and expenditure figures are what determine the cash left over for transfers (...or for servicing debt in the case of Man U), assuming that the teams adhere to the financial fair play rules. Also, the FFP works on a season-by-season basis, so the Mata / Fellaini purchases will be in a different category to the upcoming summer purchases.

Estimates for the value of playing Champions league football vary, but £30m seems to be a commonly quoted number. Even with ~£30m missing from the lack of CL, and ~£50m spent servicing debt etc, the size of their revenues shows that they are still likely to be the biggest financial powerhouse in the premiership. They should still be able to out-spend City and Chelsea.

If you want a rough ballpark estimate:

Revenue: +£330m [down from £363m due to missing CL football]
Wages: -£162m
Debt: -£50m

...Leaves around £118m. Obviously this is an optimistic value - wages are likely to have increased somewhat (Mata and Fellaini), and TV income may fall slightly. But, it's likely that they will still have access to around £100m for summer transfers.

The Guardian has a good breakdown of costs club-by-club.

Last edited:
Soldato
In:
Left sided forward (that ukrainian will do)
Right sided CB
LWB
RWB
Will Hughes
Borini, Wisdom and Suso coming back from loan

Out:
Agger
Reina
Johnson
Aspas
Kelly

Personally I'm worried abou that many defensive changes, I was hoping they would go for a CB partner for Sahko in the window just gone to bed him in a bit. I dont fancy the idea of taking on the League and any possible CL campaign with a brand new back 4.

I'd agree with most of that, but would keep Kelly. He's injured a lot, but when he's not he's a very useful player to have around, can play well at RB or CB, and doesn't kick up a fuss about being on the bench.

We really need a top central midfielder. Lucas is injured too frequently and Gerrard is aging - realistically, Henderson is our best CM.

I still want to see us sign Banega, but he's gone back to Argentina. I get the impression there's something about him that big clubs dislike.

Soldato
r.

5th place, 3 points of 4th Tottenham?

I wil concede we'rema bit disorganised but this is due to sherwood but we're doing ok. Lamela is one for the future if he develops and we bought some decent squad players.

Lloris has stated he loves it at spurs and wouldn't do it to the fans by joining arsenal, barca would be a different matter.. hes a very good keeper.

We need a lb, striker and a deep lying playmaker.

Soldato
IN:
Cabella
Grenier
Remy
CB

That would be nice, although we'd need another striker assuming Shola leaves. I suppose we'll see how De Jong does - he seems keen at least - otherwise maybe we'll finally get Gomis.

As well as a CB, we could do with a young right-back as an understudy for Debuchy. The man is a machine and will happily run up and down for 90 minutes every week, but when he gets injured or suspended we have no real cover at the moment.

Actually, assuming Coloccini leaves for San Lorenzo we'll need two more centre backs.

OUT:
Shola
Obertan
Gosling
Gutierrez
Marveaux
Taylor

I'd like to add Shola and Obertan to that list. I know they're already on there, but I just want to emphasise the point.

Marveaux...wasted talent :(

Caporegime
Revenue: +£330m [down from £363m due to missing CL football]
Wages: -£162m
Debt: -£50m

...Leaves around £118m. Obviously this is an optimistic value - wages are likely to have increased somewhat (Mata and Fellaini), and TV income may fall slightly. But, it's likely that they will still have access to around £100m for summer transfers.
The Guardian has a good breakdown of costs club-by-club.

Do you understand that wages aren't the only cost to running a club in the slightest? Biggest, sure, only, not even close. Here, I'll point out the utter ridiculousness of your sums and the £118m left over.

From your own link
Man Utd's "profit" for the past two years
Loss before tax: £5m (following a £12m profit in 2011)

Revenue != profitability. Yes £50mil of that give or take was on interest/debt payments.

Utd aren't currently that profitable, till the debt is up they won't be hugely profitable, when the debt is up, the profit isn't out of this world massive, but it certainly enables them to spend. That is the situation with big teams, huge revenue leads to huge wages, huge overheads.

Utd seemingly have a big warchest so can spend, but they aren't more able to spend than other teams. Ultimately when teams have their billionaire mates throw in some sponsorship for that magically amounts to the losses for the year, then the sugar daddies still have the upper hand financially.

FFP is a farce anyway, we're hearing along the lines of warnings, then they might leverage a limit on the CL squad. IE if you've overspent by 50mil then they may stop you registing 50mil of talent for the CL squad.... so they just don't register the crap guys they overpaid for, rest the CL squad more often in the league and leave players off the roster.

Even from that, the teams will have the chance to appeal and bargain for different punishment, which from day one I thought would be a fee. Overspend and for every 10mil you get fined 2mil, which goes into Uefa's pockets. It could(will probably) end up being a sugar daddy tax.

Soldato
OP
Could be a good signing for City.

Manchester City will renew their interest in Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Blaise Matuidi if Fernando signs a new contract with Porto.

Source: talkSPORT

Arsenal are targetting Wolfsburg prodigy Maximilian Arnold. The 19-year-old has been touted as the next Mesut Ozil and has a buy-out clause of approximately £8 million.

Source: Daily Mirror

Soldato
What's yours?

Ive seen Utd being linked with Mangala for the last year or so (~ going into Fergie's last season)

Not suggesting any of them are high value rumours (like any are lol), but we have been linked with him plenty.

Unfortunately, signing him is probably as likely as signing Vidal (especialy after the latter supposedly signed a new deal worth £200k /week)

Two central midfileders are a must (if one is a hard tackling DM fair enough with the other hopefully with a keen eye for goal), one high quality centre-half and a LB (I wouldnt be surprised if Moyes gets rid of Raf as well due to hot-headedness) , a good quality winger (Reus is out of the question without CL football) mixed in with some squad players from the U21's / players back from loans etc

Duff-Man - The Guardian figures are actually pretty out of whack now (in regards to Utd at any rate), debt payments have been renegotiated since then, next season's Chevy shirt sponsorship kicks in (not to mention by then the kit sponsorship deal will have been signed for the next season), plus Utd are generating over £100m/ quarter in commercial revenue (admittedly this will drop if performances /results dont improve drastically, but this wont happen for a few years yet). Those figures also dont take into effect the massive new TV deal or the EPL

I also seem to recall there is something in the FFP that averages over 2 seasons and net spend cant be more than -£50m on what any club's net profit over that period (something like this anyway I seem to recall). I believe the -£50m is due to reduce over time as well, so that the clubs can get away with spending less and less over what they make in the years to come (all depending on how strictly the FFP is taken of course)

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the bbc is right about Moyes being interested in dembele now I'm going to go ballistic.

28 million spent on Fellaini who's had zero impact both on and off the pitch.

35 spent on Mata who only tries for 15 out of every 45 minutes and is played out of position or not in a system that works for him.

Dembele signed for spurs 12 million. ..paulinho 6 goals in 25 apps.

Caporegime

21oy9vm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom