Triathletes

Is that true?

Well, to be honest the only evidence I have is ancedotal and that goes for most websites as well, but I reckon you are looking at a minimum of 20 hours training per week for an Ironman and that's an awful to of time.

I cycle for 10 hours a week as a minimum, do one hour spin, and try to swim / cycle or run at the weekend, which could take up to three hours. Add on the time it takes me to get ready / shower afterwards and you are looking at a lot of time.

Fortunately my cycling is my commute so it's 'dead' time, but if I was cycling on top of commuting I'd barely see my wife in an evening, or I'd have to take nearly a day and a half at the weekend to do my prep / training. I barely find time to service my bikes now.

I'm not looking to go beyond Olympic distance this year or next simply because I'd never get to see my little girl if I was training for longer.

Yeah, I guess it's not hard to believe. I'm lucky as my partner like to run and bike with me so we do a lot of that together - she's a better runner than me. We're both doing the Loch Ness Marathon in a couple of months. I'm fairly sure she'll drop me after around 15 miles. :(

Yeah, I guess it's not hard to believe. I'm lucky as my partner like to run and bike with me so we do a lot of that together - she's a better runner than me. We're both doing the Loch Ness Marathon in a couple of months. I'm fairly sure she'll drop me after around 15 miles. :(

Unfortunately, with a baby, we'll probably not get to run together for a long time. Given most triathletes are generally in the age 25-35 that makes things even harder.

The long hours of training (specially when you get into the real thick of things 8-5 weeks before) are annoying to your social life and time with your other half.
I'm lucky in the fact that my schedule is very flexible and I work different shifts at the moment and go to school. Plus getting things out of the way early makes it easy. Like this morning, we both went to the gym at 5:30am, I did a quick mile swim and she did a class, both back home by 7am and have some time together. I'll get a long ride out the way early tomorrow morning and be back by mid day :) If you plan it well and stick to a method, all should be good.

Best of luck with tomorrow platypus

Well I suppose overall I have to be happy with it. The swim was excellent at 23 minutes, far, far, far faster than I was expecting. The bike was average at 1hr10, and the run was terrible at 50 minutes. I suppose it reflects my training though, I've neglected running as thats my "confident" sport, and paid for it. And I've been training swimming hard, and surprised both myself and my coach.

Next stop Crawley sprint tri on the 26th of Sept :).

[DOD]Asprilla;17168111 said:
Excellent stuff, particularly on the swim! Man, if you are disappointed with that then you are very quick indeed!
Nah I don't think it's necessarily that, it's just that I know I should have done better on the run. My training has recently been biased towards my swim because I was just so bad at it, and if I'm being honest I've neglected my running training recently, and thats why I'm unhappy with 50 minutes, I should have been capable of 45. I genuinely don't think I have much more on the bike, at least not without some *serious* training, and well the swim flabbergasted me somewhat, not sure I can go faster than that!

Back
Top Bottom