Triathletes

quite informative and interesting knowledge about triathletes. I wish I could take part in such exciting event. More or less it’s not an easy job for a normal person to win a challenging competition

Going to be between Toulouse and Tarbes, so not quite far enough for the Col du Tourmalet. Maybe next year though.....

Edit. Damn you platypus; just done a search and it's 95km from where we are staying to the Col.......that's doable, but wives and families might complain.....

Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Thanks guys. appreciate it.
Done all I can now, so just trying to keep the body loose and eat energy! Prepping all of my bags (all 5 race bags!!) and hoping the 94f degree weather predicted weather might dip a little.
I'm just going to try and enjoy it and complete it. Update you all on Monday.

I'm doing my first triathlon on Sunday and wondered if anyone had any general tips for preparation before and bits of advice for the transitions.

I've decided against doing the whole shoes already clipped in to the pedals thing as it just doesn't seem worth it, I'm certainly not going to be breaking any records so I'm not overly concerned about the minute I might gain.

I know to have everything I need, gels, glasses, watch taped onto the bike and a towel laid on the floor to dry my feet.

Any other useful little tips that'll help me better organise? They say I need safety pins to attach my number but if I'm using a race belt surely that's fine?

Cheers guy.

Practice your transitions the before. Do them a couple of times in full or until you are happy with them. In my first Tri my transitions were terrible and I could easily have saved three or four minutes by getting them right.

Using a race belt means you don't need pins.

Clipping your shoes in is only worth it if you've got proper tri shoes. You only need to dry your feet if you are wearing socks and a good alternative is to roll them and fill the end with talc.

I found that not getting my transition right was very disappointing; it didn't matter that I wasn't the quickest overall, it was that I'd busted my balls swimming, cycling and running only to find that slackness in transition meant I didn't do the best time I could.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for that.

What's the accepted etiquette with discarding your empty gel packets? I'm doing it at Dorney lake, is it a massive no no to drop your litter, do I just need to stuff them into my shorts or something?

Dorney is a good course for a first, it's easy and flat (although it does get windy on the back straight of the cycling).

How long is it? There is the super sprint, sprint and oly. Human Race are expensive but they do organise a very good event.

I think they expect you to carry then and dump them in transition, or you can dump them at a water station.

Last edited:
I'm doing the Olympic, it was £50 to do a super sprint and £70 for the Oly so I thought I'd get my monies worth!

I'm more doing it for the personal challenge more than anything. I've never done anything like this before, quite looking forward to it but slightly apprehensive at the same time.

Thanks for your advice. I had a great day today. Everything went really smoothly, and although my swim was slow (which I fully expected as I suck at swimming!) I still managed to come in under my target time of 3 hours so really pleased with that! Totally shattered now.

Break down of my times for anyone that cares:

Code:
Finish	 	Swim	 	T1	 	Cycle	 	T2	 	Run	 
02:55:59	00:39:29	00:02:49	01:22:36	00:01:30	00:49:33

Excellent transitions there!

Hever Castle Sprint at the weekend; looking forward to it and for some reason I've found myself in the first wave. Apparently is going to be cold in the lake, the bike leg is rolling hills and the run is cross countryish.

Really excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom