Triathletes

Soldato
That is true, however doing a 40k with nothing is a little :/. I value my crown jewels.

Cool, thanks! Im the opposite...anything new and shiny I need. Like the 910xt... could have saved a bomb. :rolleyes:

I'll look into tribars but doesnt that wreck your body posture on a normal road bike?

haha fair enough, if it saves you 1/2 a second go for it :D
As long as you get decent bars and have the bike adjusted properly to suit your way of riding, then no. Lots of people do it this way :)

Associate
Wowsers you lot are slow movers :p
I've done three events already this year as well as a week's warm weather training in Lanza. Makes up for my half marathon DNS back in Feb. :(
I also seem to have acquired a Felt B16 to help my bike speed :D

Soldato
So I did my sprint tri yesterday. 17m for the swim, 1.09 for the bike and 33m for the run. 2.10 in total.

The bike really let me down. My lower back caved in about mile 5-6 and didn't recover. my garmin told me i had average speed of about 19...then halved at mile 6. Any tips Clipsey? Aero bars, pro bike fitting and core-strength training?

There was also a 1km sprint uphill from the lake to the bike's which didnt help, so I ran with wet shoes. :(

had mega fun tho...another in 2 weeks.

Soldato
The bike really let me down. My lower back caved in about mile 5-6 and didn't recover. my garmin told me i had average speed of about 19...then halved at mile 6. Any tips Clipsey? Aero bars, pro bike fitting and core-strength training?

A pro bike fit would be best. Building strength to compensate for poor posture is not the best thing to do.
Aero bars would probably help as well. I find i get a lot more support from aerobars (with the extra rests for my forearms) and it's more comfortable to ride in an aero position than it is on normal drop bars.

Soldato
Had another sprint tri yesterday and demolished my previous time.

13m for the 750 swim
45 for the 20k cycle
24 for the 5k run.
T1,2 and Lake run to cycle area transition about 5mins.

1h 30mins...as opposed to 2h 10 on the last one. This was 6km shorter on the bike but I was flying. Aero bars and the bike fitting made a lot of difference. my lower back still hurt so I think I need to do some core work.

Soldato
In terms of kit I kept it very simple, I didn't buy into the whole triathlete promotion. It is very much aimed at mid-life crisis middle aged men (who typically have a little bit of money to waste). I will always state it is the engine not the equipment.
Good advice that! There are far too many folk doing triathlon with all the gear and no idea.

I've gone a step further, I don't 'do' triathlons any more. I just swim, bike and run for the hell of it. No need to hand over £170 (what my last 70.3 cost) to do it at a particular time and place.

Soldato
How are people getting on??? My next event is in two weeks.

Its make or break time for me. I want to do an Ironman at some point. Tickets are out now for 2013 Lanza so gives me just under a year to train which I think would be plenty...and the outlaw tri which went past my house got me thinking about it even more.

Might get a new bike to go with it.

Someone tell me to do it.

Associate
How are people getting on??? My next event is in two weeks.

Its make or break time for me. I want to do an Ironman at some point. Tickets are out now for 2013 Lanza so gives me just under a year to train which I think would be plenty...and the outlaw tri which went past my house got me thinking about it even more.

Might get a new bike to go with it.

Someone tell me to do it.

Definitely do it!!

I did the UK 70.3 a couple of weeks ago and as soon as entries open I'll be signing up to do the full UK Ironman next year. :D

I got a new bike for this year and it's helped a lot!!

Soldato
Definitely do it!!

I did the UK 70.3 a couple of weeks ago and as soon as entries open I'll be signing up to do the full UK Ironman next year. :D

I got a new bike for this year and it's helped a lot!!

What did you go for? I dont know wether to do for a cheap-ish basic tri bike (planet-x) or go for a full electric 'pimped' road.

The litespeed c1 di2 looks so nice.

Soldato
I would go for a full-on tri bike. (depending on the rules of your event regarding aero bar length and drafting).
It will be significantly faster than a road bike.

Soldato
I would go for a full-on tri bike. (depending on the rules of your event regarding aero bar length and drafting).
It will be significantly faster than a road bike.

yea but it limits what events I can do in the future. (Road events dont like tri bars right?). It will be more money, but I can get more out of it...

Im just trying to justify myself thats all. :p ..But I understand your point.

Soldato
yea but it limits what events I can do in the future. (Road events dont like tri bars right?).
Bunch races (including sportives, etc) dont allow tri bars. Time trials obviously do allow them.
I think it would be best to decide on which event you're aiming for (ironman?) and buy a bike which fits best to the specific rules for that event.
There's no point training for 12 months for your ironman then knowing that you could have gone faster if you had the right bike for it.

I suppose you could look at aero road bikes like the litespeed that you mentioned earlier or a canyon aeroad, cervelo S5, ridley noah, etc. Get some clip on aero bars. Would do for any event you wanted, but still wouldnt be quite as fast as a real tri bike.

It will be more money, but I can get more out of it...
I could happily quote you a tri bike more expensive than any road bike if you'd like? :p

Last edited:
Associate
What did you go for? I dont know wether to do for a cheap-ish basic tri bike (planet-x) or go for a full electric 'pimped' road.

The litespeed c1 di2 looks so nice.

I bought a Scott Plasma 10, got a 2011 model with a hefty discount. The 70.3 was quite a hilly course and I was warned a road bike would be more appropriate. However I completed the course 34 minutes quicker than last year so am pleased with my decision.

There were loads of people with tri bikes in the Ironman so no worries there. The change in position takes a bit of getting used to but once you're settled the extra pace is awesome.

Soldato
I could happily quote you a tri bike more expensive than any road bike if you'd like? :p

no thanks!

Im pretty set on the Canyon speedmax 8.0...something like 1.5k which is perfect. Will be buying in a month or two anyway. Plenty of time.

I paid for my first Olympic event of 2013 a week or 2 ago. Just had a call from the organizers wanting to do a '20 questions' style interview to go onto their new website! Unfortunately is was only because I was the first person in my age group to apply...not because im any good! haha.

Soldato
Im pretty set on the Canyon speedmax 8.0...something like 1.5k which is perfect.

Good choice. I really think you would regret it if you got an aero road bike and probably end up buying a tri bike sooner or later anyway.
The good thing about them is that weight is not a huge concern, so you can go for a cheaper alu frame without it being any slower.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good choice. I really think you would regret it if you got an aero road bike and probably end up buying a tri bike sooner or later anyway.
The good thing about them is that weight is not a huge concern, so you can go for a cheaper alu frame without it being any slower.

Probally! Going to keep my current Allez and put some ebay ultegra stuff on it in the long run, and then get some PX deep carbon rims. Then i'll have decent kit for whatever event im riding in.

Soldato
and then get some PX deep carbon rims.
Just whack the cosmic carbones that come with the canyon onto it when you need it for an event. The deep section PX rims have carbon braking surfaces, so you'd need to swap brake pads each time you swap wheels.
I tried this with my last road bike, carbon race wheels and alloy training wheels - it became a pain very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom