Triathletes

Associate
Is this your first one? I'm yet to do a triathlon but were working that into our training including some other stuff such as a London to Paris cycle, a few half marathons, etc.

Do you know if the ironman usually sells out?

First full IM although I've done the half twice. Run 4 Marathons and countless halfs as well.

As far as I know most IM events sell out even though they costs a bomb to enter.

Soldato
Yes there are 3 of us so far, this makes it 4!!

Amazing. En-Mass OCUK entries. Clipsy...your not going to be the only one with a ironman sig! ;)

We really need to get togeather and talk about accomodation and transport at some point. The start line is about 10miles away from the finish, havent heard anything about a ironman transporation between the two.

You're doing 2 IM distance races within a month!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yep, and Im planning on entering the wales on aswell. :rolleyes:
If at first you dont succeed....:D

Associate
Amazing. En-Mass OCUK entries. Clipsy...your not going to be the only one with a ironman sig! ;)

We really need to get togeather and talk about accomodation and transport at some point. The start line is about 10miles away from the finish, havent heard anything about a ironman transporation between the two.

Yep, and Im planning on entering the wales on aswell. :rolleyes:
If at first you dont succeed....:D

Wow good luck!!

We have already booked our accommodation. Staying at the Premier Inn next to the Reebok. My friend sorted it as he likes to be prepared. He said they have shuttle buses that take you to the start but that's all the info I have at the moment!!

Soldato
Wow good luck!!

We have already booked our accommodation. Staying at the Premier Inn next to the Reebok. My friend sorted it as he likes to be prepared. He said they have shuttle buses that take you to the start but that's all the info I have at the moment!!

I assume that info will be cascaded out at some point??? I didnt see anything on the website.

Id like to do the same; book really really early.

Associate
I assume that info will be cascaded out at some point??? I didnt see anything on the website.

Id like to do the same; book really really early.

Got this from the 2012 race so assuming it will be the same next year:

Pre-Race Day: Parking is available at the Reebok Arena on Thursday 19th July, Friday 20th July and Saturday 21st July. Please park here to go to Registration, Expo, Pasta Party, Race Briefing and Awards Ceremony.

Race Day: Parking will be available at Pennignton Flash on Race Day but vehicles must move off site after the swim is completed. Car cannot be left at Pennignton Flash during the day.

Long term spectator and athlete parking is at the Reebok Stadium. There will be several shuttle buses taking athletes and spectators to the swim start. If you would like to book a place on a bus we will email you prior to the event with an online form to complete.

Spectators may use the buses but not until 4:40am, once all the athletes have got to the swim start. The shuttle bus pick up will be from the Reebok Stadium and drop off at the swim start; they will not stop on route. The journey will take approximately 20 minutes. Spectators can then take the shuttle bus back to the Reebok Stadium after the entire swim has been completed. No booking is needed for this. There will also be shuttle buses from the finish line to the Reebok Stadium from 3:00pm – 11:30pm. You do not need to book a place on this bus. Your spectator may get on this bus with you; however at busy times athletes will be prioritised.

Soldato
I'm really toying with the idea of trying out a triathlon, is a sprint triathlon the best place to start?

I can't run more than a mile or so before having to walk but I litterally only started running last week so I know this will improve drastically over the next month or so. My cycling is pretty strong (best result I've had is 23mph average over a 10 mile criterium race) and I used to swim a lot as a youngster, as I live on an island, so I'm sure I'll be able to swim reasonably well with a month or so of training.

Soldato
Got this from the 2012 race so assuming it will be the same next year:

Cool, thanks for that. I think i'll book the same hotel.

I'm really toying with the idea of trying out a triathlon, is a sprint triathlon the best place to start?

I can't run more than a mile or so before having to walk but I litterally only started running last week so I know this will improve drastically over the next month or so. My cycling is pretty strong (best result I've had is 23mph average over a 10 mile criterium race) and I used to swim a lot as a youngster, as I live on an island, so I'm sure I'll be able to swim reasonably well with a month or so of training.

Yep, Sprints are good place to start.

Associate

Sprints are where I'll be starting then working up through the distances to the ironman.

Associate
About time :cool:
You guys are going to love it, I promise! Regards to the organization of the event, you can see why it costs so much, it truly is a fantastically organized event :)

You say that but this year's UK 70.3 was a bit of a let down terms of organisation.

They opened the race up to an extra 500 people which meant the tiny country road into the event got completely jammed. Took us over an hour to get to the car park on the Saturday and then on the race day the start was delayed for 30+ minutes. Not good standing in a muddy field when you just want to get going. I think they like to try new things but do it without thinking of the logistics.

Rest of the event went really well. Good selection of drinks, energy bars, bananas at the pit stops and all the volunteers were awesome as usual.

Soldato
The outlaw has just sold out...Opened the same day as the ironman, but slightly less people I think.

Clipsy, did you see many people stretching before the run? I did my first Oly yesterday, and 500m into the 10k run my legs seized up and I got the familiar pain of shin splints. Normally 5mins of good stretching loosens me up and I can run for miles with no problems. Yesterday was just awful. My mum could run faster.

Soldato
Clipsy, did you see many people stretching before the run? I did my first Oly yesterday, and 500m into the 10k run my legs seized up and I got the familiar pain of shin splints. Normally 5mins of good stretching loosens me up and I can run for miles with no problems. Yesterday was just awful. My mum could run faster.

No not really, depending on your level and what time you are after transition times are usually slow! Most people doing their first IM just want to complete it so are not worried about times. The transition points are used to chill out for a few mins, re-feed etc, but can't say I saw many people stretching.
Might be more to do with your diet and salt levels?

Back
Top Bottom