Triathletes

Soldato
OP
I don't really run 5km, apart from in an event. In the Eton Half Oly I ran it in 24 minutes. However, if I go out on a Sunday morning I can do 10km in about 45-50 minutes.

My mate ran it in 25 and his wife did it in 26 (she's the best runner, but I've since found out she was three months pregnant at the time).

Triathlons are about competing against yourself, not other people. You start in waves so by the time you get off the bike you have no idea who was in your wave, who started earlier and who later. You just finish and then go and get your results. You then sign up of the same event the following year and then try to beat your time....

Caporegime
I'm pretty hair free aside from my legs for some odd reason, so shaving my legs makes me a streamline platypus :p.

Any tips for the transitions guys (aside from the obvious)?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Things I learned about transition:

1) Make sure that you know which direction you are going to approach your bike rack from and which way you are going to exit. Put your shoes on that side so that don't have to run round the rack to get them.

2) Don't use cycling gloves.

3) If you are wearing socks then roll them onto your feet. You can fill them with talc too which makes it easier to put them on.

4) Put your glasses and number belt in your helmet. Clip your helmet to either the front or back of your bike, depending on how you choose to exit (you will be DQed if you unrack your bike before putting on your helmet).

5) Make sure you haven't left anything in your shoes that you put in there for safe keeping (like a set of allen keys).

6) If you are using ratcheted cycling shoes , make sure the ratchets are undone before you arrive at transition.

7) use elatic locking laces in your running shoes and make sure they are as loose as they go before you arrive at transition.

8) Don't do anything in the race or transition that you've not done in training.

Caporegime
Why no gloves?

I'm thinking of practising getting onto my bike with the shoes already on the pedals. I'm just a bit nervous about the falling off :p.

Soldato
OP
No gloves because they are difficult to get onto wet hands. You aren't going that far so for the time / hassle it will save you it's probably not worth having them.

Do you have Tri specific cycling shoes because you'll need them if you want to leave them on the bike. Tri shoes only have a single large velcro fastener and are padded to be used with no socks. If you are using shoes with ratchet tightening or multiple velcro strips it's going to be very hard and very slow to get your feet in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No but I'm happy to get some, as I want a pair more suited to hot summer cycling anyway (current shoes can be a bit warm), and DHB tri shoes are cheap.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm looking at the DHB ones, or I might splash out on the bottom range Shimano ones from Wiggle. TR-31 I think.

Lots of people rave about DHB stuff (it's a Wiggle own brand) but I've found it hit and miss.

Base layers - Hit
Glasses - Miss
Bib Shorts - Miss

It has put me off them a bit.

Caporegime
Most of their stuff seems good. I use the DHB R1 shoes, find them very comfortable, with a good level of stiffness. Ive got a long and short sleeved DHB cycling top as well which are very comfortable. My shorts however don't provide brilliant padding, I do get a bit of saddle sore from time to time (that is probably due to my riding position more than anything though).

Dont like the look of those TR31s :p. Still, it's going to have to be the DHB or those due to the cleats.

Soldato
My shorts however don't provide brilliant padding, I do get a bit of saddle sore from time to time (that is probably due to my riding position more than anything though).

Try some Louis Garneau shorts, bit more expensive, but some things truly are worth investing in, I've had mine a few months now and can really notice the difference on those long rides!

Caporegime
Well, just back from my first timed swim at the 1.5k distance, 42:15. Ok not going to set the world on fire, and indeed is pretty slow but we did stop halfway through to have a quick technique discussion.

Has allayed a lot of my fears, as I was really rather worried about the swim, but the goal of "surviving the swim" looks more likely now :).

Caporegime
There is a sprint triathlon not far from where the other halfs parents live on July 4th, so I'm going to do that as practice.

Last edited:
Soldato
That should be fun! Great for practice, especially in your transitions!

I'm heading over to England for a couple of weeks as of next Friday, which is awesome, but gonna put a real wrench in my training :( Hoping to carry on running and swimming and maybe throw in a couple of spin classes. At least the weather will be a lot more comforting ;)
Anyone want to lend me a bike :D

Associate
i'm signed up for the new middle life crisis....

Just completed the Bala Middle distance ironman weekend just gone.. Absolutly loved it but was left feeling that I could have done it in a much better time.

happy with the swim for my first open water one, 2k in 31 mins

bike took me 3hrs 43mins , never had my spds in time.

run took 2 hrs 30

Loved the day though it was hard it left me with a massive feeling of acomplicment after the hours and hours of trainning that I had done

Soldato
Arrgh bad news for my training. Busted up my hand and needed 6 stitches, so can't swim for a week or so, can't bike for another few days, not that bad, but I head on hols on Fri where it's going to be almost impossible to bike :( This week I was meant to go all out on training.

Back
Top Bottom