Triathletes

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;16620079 said:
You'll need to have a long hard think about your nutrition and hydration strategy.

From what I've read, ice in the cap at every feed station and in the shorts as well on the run is a good thing.

Yeah, this is why I have to put lots of practice in at the heat of the day, try and acclimatize myself to the heat. Got to some what careful of the water on your body as it's a quick way to get blisters and sores.
Lots and lots of fluid, sunblock and maybe even some salt tablets.
Did 40miles on the bike then a 3mile run in 90+degrees today, drank about 4 liters so far lol

Soldato
I'm watching ITU world series on tv just now.
Why is drafting allowed? It seems to be a huge advantage for the guys who are the strongest runners.
The strong swimmers get a good lead at the start, but in the cycling the big group working together quickly catches them.
The strong cyclists obviously cant break away from the group.
So everyone is together at the start of the run.

What is the thinking behind this rule? It seems unfair to me, am i missing something?

Caporegime
Well it finally arrived. Sorry for the pics, one of these days I'll get a good camera.

DSCF9844.jpg

DSCF9845.jpg

Rides like an absolute dream.

Soldato
OP
You know, a good alu bike trumps a cheap carbon one every time, IMHO.

That is very pretty; stem is the wrong way up though ;)

Edit: Have now entered the sprint at Hever Castle in September and this time I'll be practicing my transitions beforehand.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Aye well, because it's a "top-end" Alu frame/Carbon fork they tend to be better specced as they're not trying to keep the costs down with a full Carbon frame.

I've entered the Southcoast Classic. First swim in the sea :eek:.

Soldato
That looks like a lovely bike!! Bet it rides well. I would love to get a tri bike, but don't want to spend the cash :(
Yesterday did 1m in the water, 40m on the bike then a 7m run - got really hot towards the end!! Feeling good though, going to throw a tri workout in every 10 days and keep upping the distances.

Soldato
Excellent article here about TT bikes Vs Road bikes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-aero-is-aero

I've been TT'ing this year and noticed quite a difference switching to clipon aero bars on my trek madone. I *might* buy a TT bike next year, but the gist of that article is that clipon bars, aero helmet and skin suit get the bigger gains, with the full aero TT bike being the finishing touches

Caporegime
Well I'm loving this bike. It feels as if it weighs nothing, and with the aero bars (a new experience for me) I can absolutely rinse it on even slight declines, and really pull/push up inclines. Getting my new sunglasses in two weeks time, and then my kit is complete :p.

That is a gorgeous bike Asprilla.

Soldato
OP
It's taking me a while to adapt to the aero position, but that's probably because I don't practice in it very much. Of around 200 miles a week, less than 10% is done on the Cervelo. I'm loathed to commute on it if I can avoid it, but I think I'll have to.

You are going to fly on that thing when it comes to the SC Classic!

Caporegime
My only real area of concern with the bike is the saddle. Not sure its comfortable enough, but I don't really want to lash out on a new one.

[DOD]Asprilla;16676822 said:
You are going to fly on that thing when it comes to the SC Classic!
Not sure, Seaford is somewhat different to Cambridge. Cycling 180 miles a week on the flat is not the best preparation for the hills of the south coast!

Soldato
OP
Is it really going to be that hilly? Bike courses for Tris tend to be pretty flat, some rises, but nothing that would ahve you out of the saddle. Not that I've seen the course, of course.

As for the saddle; buying one is always a worry for me since there is no way of knowing if it's right or not until you buy it. I picked up Fizik CX K:ium Arione for about £40 on ebay which was a risk, but it's really, really comfortable.

Caporegime
Have heard good things about the Fizik. One point of trouble is I can't quite work out how to get the saddle off, as one of the bolts is unreachable (at least by my alan keys).

And if its not too personal (and too much for the forums!)...er, where do your testicles sit when you're on the Aero bars? I've lowered the angle of the saddle but they still seem to have a bit too much pressure on them (wearing padded cycling shorts too).

Soldato
I know it's not a guarantee, but go to a local bike shop and get fitted for a bike seat? Where you sit down and it leaves an imprint of your bone structure, this then tells you what size saddle to get.
lol Platypus, I can't say I ever have any trouble with the testy's, more the gooch area that becomes sore. Think you are sitting too far back - common thing to do on aero bars.

Caporegime
Hmm it certainly doesn't feel like I'm sitting to far back, but will have a think about it when I ride home tonight. Maybe I could benefit from different shorts/a bib? They've always been good before this bike though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom