Triathletes

Associate
Been going to the local Tri club now for a few weeks and I'm improving already. I'm still a crap swimmer (obviously) but my stamina is starting to improve. Also been doing the bike training on a Sunday and I think next week I will be moved up to the 'middle' group. Gulp. Should be fine on the flats, it's the hills where I might get dropped.
Haven't been to the running session yet...it's the day after the cycling session and my legs aren't recovered enough by then. Hopefully as I get fitter/stronger I can start to attend. Onwards and upwards!

Caporegime
1:20:00 dead on, 21st position. Pretty disappointed with that, but the swim really put me off. Water temperature was 14 degrees, and for the first ~five hundred metres I was really struggling to breathe properly. Ach well, can only improve on that!

Associate
Hi guys, just read through this thread and thought I'd join in.

Me and two mates have signed up for the 2011 UK 70.3 at Wimbleball. It will be the first triathlon for all of us and I'm really excited. Anyone else doing it?

I'm starting from a position of no strength and low fitness and I've discovered that Wimbleball is the toughest 70.3 on the circuit!!! Talk about going in at the deep end.

I am off on holiday next week but from mid-October I will be into training.

I am looking forward to the training and my commitment will be there. My only concern is that my body holds together. I've recently had tendonitis in my knees from cycling so I'm going to get the quads built up with some squatting as a first priority.

I have never cycled on a road bike, I don't own any running trainers and I've only ever been in open water when messing about at the beach so I really am starting from the position of nothing. Can't wait to get started!

Well, the race was on Sunday and I finished!!
Took me seven and half hours and I spewed five times on the run :)

The weather had been terrible for in the days leading up to it (me and my friends were camping) but it was perfect conditions during the race.

The water was calm and very warm for the swim, the only difficulty came from the mass of people there. I didn't have any incidents but one of my friends got a kick to the forehead.

The bike course is two laps with around 6000ft of ascent and it was by far the hardest cycle I've ever had, not helped by the fact that I went out too hard on the first lap. I had to totally drag myself through the second lap but I managed to keep it going.

Then on the run I actually felt surprisingly fresh to begin with but then I started being sick about 5 minutes in. I must have brought up at least 2L of water - I think it was the energy gels I had been taking that caused it. But a few minutes later I was feeling better and managed to get around (although I had to walk the uphill sections).

So, a good introduction to triathlon. I have been carrying an injury for a few months so I'm wanting to rest up now and let all those little niggles heal. Then.....who knows?

Caporegime
Congrats on the finish, although spewing 5 times does not sound like fun :p.

I've found out that a guy I play badminton with works for Onestepbeyond. And will get me cheap entry to The Outlaw next year...

Caporegime
Right fellow triathletes, I am in need of a new watch as my 205's aerial is getting scatty now.

As a triathlete I naturally like gadgets, and I have a £4.99 casio for the swim, a bike computer (garmin edge) and a forerunner 205.

First of all I want to get a HRM, so am looking at a standard upgrade to the 405 running watch as an option, but I'd quite like to know what the options are for an all in one. Other than a polar with several different add ons (and separate gps which I'm not keen on) it seems like there really aren't many options, the 405 really a missed trick by Garmin.

I'd really like a good (all in one) watch that I can swim in though, and obviously the forerunners can't go in water, nor would you want to swim in one!

So should I stick to my 3 watch/computer system for racing and just upgrade to a forerunner with HRM, or is there a reasonably priced option out there - the Timex official Ironman watches don't look....great..

Soldato
What about the 310XT? I've gone one and the multi-sport setup works a treat when I've been adventure racing (bike/run combinations). It's waterproof to IPX7 (50m IIRC).

DC Rainmaker is the place for proper, hardcore Garmin reviews eg 310XT. The 310XT review has sections on run / bike / swim with sample tracks.

Caporegime
I've looked at it but its just too big to be comfortable swimming. Getting a wetsuit over that after a long swim won't be easy.

So, in summary – while the 310XT doesn’t quite offer the true triathlete/swimmers aquatic device paradise, it’s making steady improvements towards it.

Still, does like like the best purchase at present..

Last edited:
Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;19428378 said:
Actually it's pretty easy. The first few times, I twisted it off the quick release strap before pulling my wetsuit off, but now I don't even notice it's there.

The quick release kit is a must though.
The more I read about it the more I'm tempted. Just *how* secure is the quick release though, I'm assuming it is pretty tight, the thought of it falling off in a lake though...:eek:!

Caporegime
Overall I'm impressed with the build quality. Remain to be convinced about the quick release attachment, but I'll fit it later tonight and try it in the lake.

Soldato
Figured there would already be a thread :)

Right now I am close to the worst fitness level I have ever been at, so to improve it I've set myself the target of the london triathlon next year.

I can only train light now until by elbow recovers fully (30min swim today and I've had to take painkillers again :mad: ) but hopefully that should be on the mend.

Apart from joining a triathlon club, what do you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom