US: True Detective

Soldato
Season 1 was outstanding, this one seems to be a lot of guff, pointless all over the place scenes and poor character development with the exception of Colin.

Still time to turn around but I doubt it.

Soldato
Personally I would disagree. My first time ever shooting a pistol, 25 meters and 2 headshots from 3 bullets.

Granted I didn't have someone shooting back at me, but these are trained professionals.

Associate
Just watched EP4.
Wasn't a fan of the jump ahead so we missed the immediate fallout of the shootout. And it was odd that the gay guy got promoted, the girl cop got demoted and Colin had to resign. Then they just hit a reset button and they were all back together again.

I thought it was quite silly that he didn't confirm the guy Vince Vaughn sent him after was the real rapist. It seemed obvious that it could be a setup, since all he basically told him was "This is the guy srs bro", so he could have sent him after anyone. I thought there would eventually be a flashback where it showed him beating the confession out of the guy before he killed him.

Soldato
About to start watching Season 2 after completing Season 1 at the weekend. Loved it. Great acting and a story line that just kept getting deeper and darker, kept me hooked. Watched all 8 episodes in about 5 days. Seems like S2 isn't quite as good but I'll give it a bash.

Caporegime
Prepare to be disappointed
please explain why?

Cause its a very poor show...Bad writing...Hammy gun fights...

The only good thing about this show is that its clear Colin Farrell is way out there when it comes to the acting.

He is simple amazing in it.

However Vince Vaughan..is bad, he can't deliver the weight needed for the role.He is miscast.

Series one was amazing..But this is mediocre TV at best...With a smidgen of good bits.

I knew VV was wrong for the show when I found out..I was also dissapointed with CF.

But CF here is the nuts...Out-shadowing all the rest.

My opnion of CF has changed so much since this..I always enjoyed him has an actor..but in this he is jaw droopingly good.

Soldato
Personally I would disagree. My first time ever shooting a pistol, 25 meters and 2 headshots from 3 bullets.
Granted I didn't have someone shooting back at me, but these are trained professionals.

Trained professionals that are being shot at by multiple assailants from multiple positions one elevated with little cover and no backup... You need to stop playing Battlefield: Hardline.. ;)

I have also shot real weapons, got headshots from 25m away with pistols as well as headshots at 300-500m away with a sniper rifle. Comparing that to people actively trying to kill you is not comparable... I would assume.

Soldato
Episode 6 was MUCH better and easily the best so far.

Colin Farrell gave a master class and even Vince Vaughan was good this week, specially in the first scene.

I agree.. Excellent episode..

I have to say that the scene where he was offering to stay away from his own son for good on the off chance that the son he bought up may be the result of a serial rapists was pretty upsetting and very well acted. I cant wait for Colin Farrell to exact his revenge!

Soldato
Trained professionals that are being shot at by multiple assailants from multiple positions one elevated with little cover and no backup...

I accept that and of course hopefully we'll never find out how hard it is. I still find it a little hard to believe none of them could compose for 2 seconds to make the one shot needed... Anyway, we should move on.

Not a bad episode this week. I still think I need to find a review site to check as I think I'm probably missing a lot of what I should be absorbing.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Watched season 2 to current episode, its a decent enough tv series not a patch on the first season though.

Its more of a drama type show with some action thrown in, Colin is great but I think they wanted brad pitt for that role? Who knows how it could have been tbh but Colin does that character so well with his gritty dark persona and Vince is not half bad actually the only other thing with this show is we only have 2 more episodes left....

Which is good imo I hope if the writers do a season 3 it returns to what made season 1 so great but tbh I don't think anything could match it.

Soldato
I think they shot themselves in the foot with the whole reset for each season idea. That they got such incredible chemistry between the two stars in the first series was probably way more than they could have hoped for and that chemistry is helping put season one on such a high pedestal. They are trying to throw the same kind of dialogue at the season 2 cast and it's not having the same effect, Vince Vaughan is just not in the same league as Matthew McConnaughey and his high brow dialogue is just not working.

Another thing is the story itself. In season one the crime was a lot more focused and disturbing which really made you want to see him caught, it was all that mattered. In season two though, the crime and corruption is so widespread that it's very difficult to know what they are trying to achieve or even if they are really trying at all.

I'm still enjoying it though, even if it doesn't have the magic of season one. Colin Farrell has really stepped up in this and is the obvious stand out but good as he is, his character is just not as likeable as Rust from season one.

Personally I think "Murder in the First" is absolutely killing "True Detective" at the moment, it's central characters have great chemistry and they also have a very good previous season to build on, so there is more depth to the story and they don't need to spend time building character back story. I certainly look forward to seeing it more than I look forward to TD every week.

Soldato
Very good episode this week, plenty of action, story coming together and all four main characters were really good. Just one to go now, so lets hope it goes out with a bang.

Associate
If you're struggling to keep up with the story-line and have no idea who half the people are then give this a read - http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

I read through all that yesterday, as i've no idea what's really going on and finish most episodes more confused.
I pay attention and am usually pretty good with keeping track of characters and story lines, but this season is just ridiculous. You get thrown so many details and characters which only serve to distract you from the main plot. It just feels chaotic and disorganised and now they've left it all until the last episode to clear up.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
100% agree with the above too many characters always confuses things, true detective 1 just nailed it with 2 central characters and the world revolving around them in season 2 its the world centred around 4-5 main characters.

The writers already have heard the criticism and said wait for the last episode.... but imo too little too late, they have however hinted they may go back to what made season 1 so great, you think ;) I don't think they will come close to season 1 the budget looked way bigger and action/violence was done so well.

Back
Top Bottom