US: True Detective

Caporegime
Writing aside; the show gets far too much wrong in my opinion. Part of what made the first season so successful was; the tone, the atmosphere, the location, the foreboding sense of doom, streamlined cast and supporting cast...

This is all missing from season two :(. The characters are good, if a little clichéd, but they are good and they are well cast (in my opinion), the supporting cast is too good.

The cinematography is not quite up to the standards of the first, nor is the quality of the direction at times.

However, what really lets this down is the writing. Yes it makes sense, and after watching the most recent episode, I re-watched the season so far in one long sitting and things make much more sense. However, it is writing that is trying too hard to be complicated, we have been given all the answers but haven't figured out what the questions are. All the pieces are there for the audience but they have not been able to show the bigger picture.

It (in my opinion) is hubris writing, it is overly complicated. The first season had a tight central plot with sub arks from that, red herrings but it followed an investigation and was a character study of the central two characters. This season is a character study (The Oedipus tragedy is so blindingly obvious, as is whom is going to survive) but with the central plot lost along the ruins of the corruption story.

It's writing, the substandard (compared to the first season) production just makes the entire show feel very 'meh', after the quite excellent first season.

Soldato
As a completely separate show, i'm really enjoying this. But you can't help comparing to the other season, which is so much better IMO. Must remember it is a completely different show, they just have the same name.

Vince Vaughan is a bit strange in this, haven't decided whether the character he plays is like that because of how he's written or if it's bad acting.
Colin Farrell though, cannot fault the guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok Started watching The Walking Dead 2 weeks ago and have now caught up. SO got to wait until season 6 starts.

So Scandal isn't back yet and GOT is ages away.

Is True Detective worth a go?

Caporegime
Ok Started watching The Walking Dead 2 weeks ago and have now caught up. SO got to wait until season 6 starts.

So Scandal isn't back yet and GOT is ages away.

Is True Detective worth a go?

The Walking Dead is awful.

True Detective is one of the best television shows made for a while, the second season is not.

Soldato
I would say there are lots of better shows you could be watching.

You would say....But ya didn't..... Come on give me some pointers.
I've still got 3 Blacklists to watch but that'll be done tonight.

The mrs want's something thats not quite so dark.

Suits???

Soldato
Best two shows people never seem to know about are 'Justified' and 'The Americans'. 'Elementary' is also very good. I'm assuming you've seen 'Breaking Bad' and 'The Wire' which are two of the best shows.

'House of Cards', 'Orange is the New Black' and 'The Newsroom' are also good.

I'm just starting on 'Mr. Robot' which seems very good and has an IMDb rating of 9.5 which is rather impressive.

Associate
The Walking Dead is awful.

True Detective is one of the best television shows made for a while, the second season is not.

Truth. Season 1 of TWD was good, but since then it's been total garbage, some of the worst writing I've seen. I stopped watching at the end of the last season I think since I couldn't take anymore. The only thing it has going for it is the good special effects and the fact it's based on a successful comic series.

The best show I have seen lately is Mr Robot, everyone should watch that. I agree with Andy too, Justified was great (personally wasn't impressed by the last season but overall, great show).

Soldato
I agree with dacads, they aren't doing a good job of explaining things and making rounded characters. It's very hard to remember who all the characters are, and it's not because of the amount of characters - look at game of thrones - it's because they are poorly developed.

Associate
Seriously I need to watch this few times to get my head around things. Finale on Monday and I don't even know what's going on. I do however think the main characters are interesting.

Caporegime
Re-watched up this so far, I still maintain it is poor, however I am getting my head around what is happening.

Are we going to make any predictions on what will happen? I think there are more characters to die ;).

I am also; one hundred percent sure that we have seen the 'killer', the photographer.

Soldato
Re-watched up this so far, I still maintain it is poor, however I am getting my head around what is happening.

Are we going to make any predictions on what will happen? I think there are more characters to die ;).

I am also; one hundred percent sure that we have seen the 'killer', the photographer.

Yeah the killer is blatantly the photographer they met on the set of that movie. I'd say he's the other orphan that they were talking about and therefore the brother of Caspere's assistant, who also happened to be at the film set. They both have motive to want Caspere dead for his part in the robbery in the 1990s that left them orphaned.

Caporegime
Yeah the killer is blatantly the photographer they met on the set of that movie. I'd say he's the other orphan that they were talking about and therefore the brother of Caspere's assistant, who also happened to be at the film set. They both have motive to want Caspere dead for his part in the robbery in the 1990s that left them orphaned.

That was my thinking too, I think similarly to the first season we have been presented with the killer already but little attention was given to them.

Also; I think the writing has been poor, however it gave the audience all the answers but did not tell them which questions they should be asking. The writing has been overly complicated and confusing to the detriment of the enjoyment of the show, in my personal opinion.

I think Ani Bezzerides will survive, but I am not confident of any of the other 'main' characters surviving.

One

One

Soldato
I enjoyed it. I don't have a ****ing clue what I watched though. Forgettable characters and excessive backstory that had nothing to do with anything. I feel how I felt after watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I feel stupid.

Soldato
I enjoyed it too but was also frustrated by it - there was just no focus.

If there is a season 3 I don't think I will be looking forward to it as much as I did this one.

Back
Top Bottom