Trying to break in to IT infrastructure field

Soldato
OP
I have another meeting scheduled for 1pm where I believe they will talk to me a bit more and then possibly make me an offer.

I have two choices accept out right and negotiate pay.

Or say can you give me a few days to think about it. Basically stalling at least until Tue so I can have a look at this other job which is quite far from me.

I feel dishonest accepting a job I know I plan to leave as soon as what I want gives me the opportunity.

In truth, I am finished with technical support but this role will start off as that for at least 3 months. I will however be a one man band implementing solutions rather than just doing the donkey work.

So there will be some learning taking place.

But it's not my ideal choice despite the location/vibe and culture being good.

---

The more I mull it over in my head the more I know deep down I don't want this role. I also feel dishonest about taking it, when I know that in 2 months ish I will be off.

There were two alarm bells that went off as well when I was talking to them.

1. They used the word, 'dump' the technical support on me...
2. I got the impression they want to bring someone up to speed so that I can be the one on call rather than the other Linux guy....

Neither of which is particularly appealing.

---

My fault in the first place for applying for a role that had a technical support element to it in the first place.

---

Plus not happy about the strong arm tactics the agents are employing.

---

It would be almost be easier if they don't offer me the job. I know there's one other candidate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bit of an impasse at the moment.

Spoke with new firm, but they wont make me an offer before my current firm confirm what my notice is.

Current company, wont confirm what my notice is until I have a firm offer.

Current firm have confirmed that legally 8 weeks notice but it is negotiable. I also have two weeks in holiday to take.

But someone has to play their hand or I am going to lose this job.

Soldato
Bit of an impasse at the moment.

Spoke with new firm, but they wont make me an offer before my current firm confirm what my notice is.

Current company, wont confirm what my notice is until I have a firm offer.

Current firm have confirmed that legally 8 weeks notice but it is negotiable. I also have two weeks in holiday to take.

But someone has to play their hand or I am going to lose this job.

Unless it is specified in your contract, then notice from employee is just one week. But surely it's in your contract?

E:
Ok, you've sorted it

Soldato
I think you need to think long term.

Linux is great but puts you in a very small field compared to Windows. Nigh on all IT jobs (until you get to the Architect level and then it depends on the company) will include support. You can't just implement something and then think someone else is going to pick up support on it.

It depends on how comfortable you are with Microsoft products as there are more Microsoft jobs around but then there's more competition for the jobs.

Good luck.

M.

Soldato
OP
I'm right to look for a new job.

It's not just a matter of escaping. I'll learn from the experience. It's a life lesson as much as a professional one.

Also I will be regarded as a young professional in my field at the new place. Where as here I am just a donkey for donkey work.

Clean slate.

---

Also from my managers reaction when I told him I wanted to know my notice period it showed I'm doing the right thing.

His first reaction was 'how much are they offering you'? As if money can buy me out.

I then said, it's not about money it's about my growth and learning. I said to him 'I'm just a shield for the other two' and he just smiled and found it funny.

So that showed me that this job isn't going anywhere and he has zero interest in taking my career forward.

---

They will suffer with out me. As it sounds like they will get a very junior person in and the other two are going to have to step up to the plate again as Im not there to cover them any more.

Which begs the question, if their willing to step up when the new guy comes in, then why cant the department change slightly to start introducing me to the next level stuff, such as vmaware, server configuration etc etc ect....

I'll tell you why, they are happy with the status quo as it suits them. The only weapon I've got, is to leave.

---

It's not done and dusted yet tho. Still waiting to hear form them regrading offer, then I go and find out my notice.

It shouldn't be any more than 6 weeks. They indicated they where fine with 5.... I just hope they are fine with 6. As it could be that long.

I can't lose this job over 1 week! :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
I think you need to think long term.

Linux is great but puts you in a very small field compared to Windows.

Eh? Linux is not in any way a small field...

EDIT:

Just as a quick check:
Putting Windows as a key word into Jobserve for IT: 1,838 jobs
Putting Linux as a key word into Jobserve for IT: 1,353 jobs

Last edited:
Soldato
Your notice period currently stands at 8 weeks so tell the perspective employer that with the caveat that you maybe released sooner. Don't muck about weighting for a negotiation over a notice period 8 weeks isn't unusual.

Soldato
I don't understand people who stay in a job year after year, but spend year after year moaning about how much the job sucks and they hate it. Either you're incompetent and unemployable elsewhere, or you just like to moan.

Why stay in a company that is obviously taking the proverbial out of you and risk your career by putting up with it? Anyone else would have left years ago.

You should be focusing your energies on either getting this job, or getting another, not on your current company.

Soldato
OP
Eh? Linux is not in any way a small field...

EDIT:

Just as a quick check:
Putting Windows as a key word into Jobserve for IT: 1,838 jobs
Putting Linux as a key word into Jobserve for IT: 1,353 jobs

+1. I didn't want to comment. But it's true. On average Linux pays more than Windows roles and even the Cisco ones.

It generally overpays, as there is more need for it than there are candidates.

Also some say that more and more companies are going to go open source so definitely a good skill to have.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand people who stay in a job year after year, but spend year after year moaning about how much the job sucks and they hate it. Either you're incompetent and unemployable elsewhere, or you just like to moan.

Why stay in a company that is obviously taking the proverbial out of you and risk your career by putting up with it? Anyone else would have left years ago.

You should be focusing your energies on either getting this job, or getting another, not on your current company.

It's not that easy tho is it. Your still are getting paid and you also want to leave on good terms. Unless if you really don't give a 'beep' anymore and don't care if you leave on bad terms etc...

Soldato
Isn't it? You continue to get paid until you leave for another job, in which case, someone else pays you. So unless you get into a position where you manage to get fired or commit some other kind of gross misconduct, continuing to be paid is not something to be concerned with.

Even if you don't give a 'bleep' anymore, it's not hard to be professional and perform your tasks as required up until to your last day, is it?

If you do those things, i don't see how it could be seen for you to be leaving on bad terms?

Soldato
OP
Question regarding notice period. So far we've just been considering this from my angle.

What about from the other perspective. If a company makes me an offer that I accept does that mean it is illegal for them to find another candidate during my notice period whom they prefer more than me?

I mean we've established it's not illegal for me to accept an offer and still continue interviewing and possibly accept another role.

So how does it work the other way round?

Soldato
OP
The crap my manager says sometimes.

Office manager comes in to our office on Fri, and says 'It's very quite in here' Manager replies 'That's the sound of fear'.

---

Oh and when I told him on Thu I needed to organise a meeting, he said 'Do we?' in a very condescending way. As if to say "what on earth do you have to say to me?"

Associate
The crap my manager says sometimes.

Office manager comes in to our office on Fri, and says 'It's very quite in here' Manager replies 'That's the sound of fear'.

---

Oh and when I told him on Thu I needed to organise a meeting, he said 'Do we?' in a very condescending way. As if to say "what on earth do you have to say to me?"

Depends if you rubbed him up the wrong way with the words 'needed' and 'meeting'.

Have you tried putting it more in a more friendly way? 'Can we have a private chat after lunch' etc etc?

Your previous comments make you sound hostile. Yes your colleagues might be taking advantage of you etc. However if you play your cards right, you can make it easier on yourself during the notice period (i.e. work from home / time fully allocated to just documenting your stuff which no one is likely to hold you accountable for after you are gone so it can be absolute dribble if you want).

Good luck.

Soldato
I think the OP just wants to ignore all the previous 5 pages of advice and instead regularly post about "what my boss said/did today".

Back
Top Bottom