Trying to break in to IT infrastructure field

Associate
What about from the other perspective. If a company makes me an offer that I accept does that mean it is illegal for them to find another candidate during my notice period whom they prefer more than me?

It depends if you've signed a contract or not. It's also complicated by the fact that there will be a probationary period in your new position where they can let you go with little or no notice.

How many interviews have you actually been on, and how many do you have lined up?

Soldato
OP
I have accepted a role and handed in my notice yesterday.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but the company vibe and location are great.

It will initially be technical support at first transitioning towards more Linux Admin as time goes by.

Everything is sorted minus one tiny detail. The Agent has told the new company I will be available 1 week earlier than my company actually confirmed would be my last day.

Hopefully wont make a big difference.

Soldato
OP
For anyone else following this thread and thinking about the next steps, I have started to read up on the LPIC material with the aim of sitting the exams.

I have to say I am enjoying it!

The Red Hat courses may be better for employability, but LPIC is still very good! It's vendor neutral and theres lots more to Linux than just Red Hat.

My aims are to do the LPIC 1 and 2 and then do the LPIC-3 304: Virtualization & High Availability course.

That would be an amazing grounding in where I want to go which is in to a Linux Devops role.

At the same time as this, I have got my self a new job where I will be training towards being a Linux Admin. The new company run a Citrix Xen platform so I guess that is what I will be getting familiar with at first.

I'm 35 this year. My plan is to go like the clappers from now until 40 to try and get as far as I can in the industry.

The guy I sit next too at work (very lazy individual) at present has no University schooling but is earning twice my current wage. I need to fix that!

Last edited:
Soldato
The guy I sit next too at work (very lazy individual) at present has no University schooling but is earning twice my current wage. I need to fix that!

Is this a London thing because I've never heard of two people doing similar roles having such a gap in salary.

Also are you actually getting experience in work using your LPIC skills? If not I can't see how having these qualifications with no actual experience using the skills will help you get ahead.

Soldato
OP
Is this a London thing because I've never heard of two people doing similar roles having such a gap in salary.

Also are you actually getting experience in work using your LPIC skills? If not I can't see how having these qualifications with no actual experience using the skills will help you get ahead.

Yes and no.

Current role is Linux based I.e the command line. But manager never gave me any projects etc to further my knowledge. Just the basics. All the project work he gave else where and I was just an IT 'cleaner'.

New job is also Linux based and I will be helping out the current Linux Admin in a Citrix Xen environment. Of which I have very little knowledge, but they are fine with that.

---

You opened up a wound so here goes.

/rant

To be fair, I've been unhappy in this role for the past 5 years. However it has got worse over the last 18 months since my manager and my colleague I mentioned above (no degree) started going out drinking.

I started to feel like they where shoving on to me more and more of the rubbish tasks and leaving only the fun and interesting stuff for them to do. One of my work collogues is mostly absent. The other is lazy and has threatened to quit twice which is why my manager lets him get away with things.

One of my colleagues let the cat out of the back in an indirect way, that yes, they basically wanted to make my role more and more basic so that him and the other guy could do more and more of the higher level stuff.

But this is totally unfair, for someone who has been in the job for 8.5 years and is ready himself to start moving forward and learning stuff.

The problem is the nature of the company. There will always be a load of crap to do. So they schemed to not do it them selves, and thus shovelling it all on to me.

This had a double negative effect.

1. I would come in to work and have 10 emails in the morning from people that have learnt through conditioning not to email the other guys and email me directly as they dont get anything done. All these emails are boring tasks that they want done NOW.

The other two come and go as they please. Either absent or turn up what ever time they want. Me on the other hand has HR and sales execs chasing me around for stuff, and yet, more and more crap is being piled on to my plate whilst the other ones do as they please working on interesting project work.

2. The partitioning of tasks also has an effect on pay. As they are doing the more '3rd' line tasks they asked for 3rd line pay! As I am doing just the crap in the office no one wants, so my wage reflects this.

-----

Theres more but I'm not going to go on. I just got fed up with the laziness of my colleagues and the attitude from my manager. If I say something the automatic response is disdain and brushing it off. If either of the other two say the same thing, he talks about it with them, considers it and value their opinion.

Me leaving has actually further played in to their hands as they can reshape my job role, make it the super basic role they wanted and thus piling more of the crap on to the new guy allowing them to live the life of Riley.

In my new role, my opinion is going to be valued. It's one of the primary reasons I'm being hired. Here they see me as the same person who started 8.5 years ago. In the new role I'm going to be seen as someone with 8.5 years of experience.

My manager is being played for a fool tho. What kind of messed up scenario is this:

The guy he goes drinking with and is in effect scheming, is the same guy that has threatened to quite twice.

His logic is, if they ask him to do anything he doesn't want to do, he will quit. For some reason my manager is so scared of losing him he is bending over backwards to accommodate what ever he wants. He has basically told me, he know how to 'handle' him and is basically playing him for more and more money.

Hence the reason why more crap is on my plate, he does the interesting stuff and earns about 20k more than me.

The last 5 ish weeks he has been going out and taking drugs. Turns up anywhere from 11-1pm in the office. Has little power naps when he is here. Manager had a word with him and basically said if this carries on he would have a chat with HR. He's response? 'If you do say anything to HR, I will just quit'. So that's that. End of story and carry on as you are.

/rantover

Last edited:
Soldato
Good for you mate. My problem is that we don't currently use Linux and it's something I'm interested in getting into. Maybe I'll start doing the LPIC or RHCSA anyway.

Soldato
OP
Good for you mate. My problem is that we don't currently use Linux and it's something I'm interested in getting into. Maybe I'll start doing the LPIC or RHCSA anyway.

The RHCSA is more difficult and is hands on. It is also Red Hat only.

Highly valued in the market. But uber tough.

The LPIC is not as difficult and not a hands on exam. However it's not easy. The questions are asked in a way that really you should have had hands on time with the subject matter to really get through the exam.

It's also vendor agnostic. You will learn Debian and Redhat and all the flavours in between.

The reason why I chose it is because when I looked through the curriculum for the LPIC2, the subject matter is all the stuff the boys in the office are doing, so I know it's worth it's salt as I have experience to know this is all relevant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks mate, I'll take a look into the LPIC a bit more. I've got an active Pluralsight subscription that I;ll be predominantly using. What are you using to self study?

Soldato
OP
Now that I'm in my notice period and only 10 days to go, my manager is giving the least lazy of the two work colleagues my tasks to do.

Q1. Why not have shared this out earlier and allowed me to do some project work myself rather than just giving them all the interesting stuff and me all the rubbish. (I'll tell you why because they would screw that's why!!)

Q2. Why the 20k wage difference if he is now going to do my tasks.... Yes he has more skills than me, but wage should be closer. Main reason for skills difference is, this was my first role and I haven't been given stuff to learn from.

Shakes head.... Cant wait to get out of here.

---

Over the years it's literally been I come in to work, my manager has nothing to say to me he gives me nothing to do. Whilst the other guys have tons of project work to be getting on with.

He's been very odd with me since day 1. All of eight and a half years ago.

---

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Blimey!!

Started my new job today. This one compared to my old one is quite different.

In my old one, I was literally just technical support. My tasks where so low level I cant believe I stuck it out for 8 years!! :rolleyes:

The new one is everything I could have wanted. I just hope it's not over my head.

My job title is Systems Engineer. My role is basically to take the outsourced IT support inhouse and implement solutions for them. WSUS, Antivirus, Netboot, Asset Management solution and Wireless. At the same time I will be shadowing and assisting the current Linux Admin on their cloud platform.

They have basically told me that ideally they want me doing more of the Linux stuff than the IT support stuff. According to the guy I spoke to today who is the outsourced admin, it's 2-3 support tickets a week.

So I should have plenty of time to deal with the Linux stuff.

On the Linux front, it's quite a leap for me. :eek:

Most of the tech they use I have zero experience with. Memcache, Elastic Search, Nginx, Apache, F5 load balancers etc..... They know I have no experience with this stuff so hopefully they will understand when it will be quite a big learning curve.

However if I make it through my probation, I think I may have just cracked what I set out to do when I first created this thread.

If I can stick this job out for at least 2 years and get some solid experience under my belt, I will be in a great position to command more money and possibly move on if I feel I need to.

They did say they will give me training and possibly put me on a course as well.

So much work to do!!

Last edited:
Associate
Blimey!!

Started my new job today. This one compared to my old one is quite different.

In my old one, I was literally just technical support. My tasks where so low level I cant believe I stuck it out for 8 years!! :rolleyes:

The new one is everything I could have wanted. I just hope it's not over my head.

My job title is Systems Engineer. My role is basically to take the outsourced IT support inhouse and implement solutions for them. WSUS, Antivirus, Netboot, Asset Management solution and Wireless. At the same time I will be shadowing and assisting the current Linux Admin on their cloud platform.

They have basically told me that ideally they want me doing more of the Linux stuff than the IT support stuff. According to the guy I spoke to today who is the outsourced admin, it's 2-3 support tickets a week.

So I should have plenty of time to deal with the Linux stuff.

On the Linux front, it's quite a leap for me. :eek:

Most of the tech they use I have zero experience with. Memcache, Elastic Search, Nginx, Apache, F5 load balancers etc..... They know I have no experience with this stuff so hopefully they will understand when it will be quite a big learning curve.

However if I make it through my probation, I think I may have just cracked what I set out to do when I first created this thread.

If I can stick this job out for at least 2 years and get some solid experience under my belt, I will be in a great position to command more money and possibly move on if I feel I need to.

They did say they will give me training and possibly put me on a course as well.

So much work to do!!

https://www.howtoforge.com/

^ get cracking. :)

Get a basic understanding of how they work, and they will be impressed that they got themselves a quick learner.

Back
Top Bottom