TV Fixtures and TV Rights thread.

Soldato

Hadn't realised it was Warner Discovery who were nabbing it... Discovery have been making some big moves in the last couple of years.

Considering the scale of their production, filming and streaming infrastructure it would be nice to see some savings for the PL/CL subs but I'd be very surprised.

Associate
I just watch MOTD and YouTube highlights now (and Amazon if there's a decent game on).

Used to have Now TV Sport and BT Sport. Got rid of both and haven't missed them.

Soldato
I just watch MOTD and YouTube highlights now (and Amazon if there's a decent game on).

Used to have Now TV Sport and BT Sport. Got rid of both and haven't missed them.

but... IT'S not LIVE!

D0LSO_dXgAAngur.jpg:large

Don
OP
So that means we've got what next year... Sky, BTSport/Eurosport , Prime, DAZN and Apple TV all with a slice of the live football pie
Not quite. The next rights sale will be for the 2025/26 season onwards and it's unlikely that the PL will sell to more than 3 broadcasters, at least it was reported in a recent Times article that the PL wouldn't sell to more than 3 broadcasters. The danger comes with the possibility of the PL selling to different broadcasters to those that have the CL rights.

From the 24/25 season Amazon and BT will share the rights to the CL - BT still have 99% of matches with Amazon only showing one match every Tuesday (though this will definitely be an English side). This alone already means fans now face having to sign-up to Amazon for at least 10 months rather than just the odd month now if they want all CL matches. If DAZN and or Apple were then to pip BT or Amazon to PL rights then that could mean another subscription or two.

Man of Honour
Not quite. The next rights sale will be for the 2025/26 season onwards and it's unlikely that the PL will sell to more than 3 broadcasters, at least it was reported in a recent Times article that the PL wouldn't sell to more than 3 broadcasters. The danger comes with the possibility of the PL selling to different broadcasters to those that have the CL rights.

From the 24/25 season Amazon and BT will share the rights to the CL - BT still have 99% of matches with Amazon only showing one match every Tuesday (though this will definitely be an English side). This alone already means fans now face having to sign-up to Amazon for at least 10 months rather than just the odd month now if they want all CL matches. If DAZN and or Apple were then to pip BT or Amazon to PL rights then that could mean another subscription or two.
I heard that DAZN/Apple tv were going to be trying to get the rights for PL matches in the UK , DAZN already has PL rights for live matches in North America and are just wanting to expand that to here. I could foresee the PL being Sky, DAZN and Prime, then if BT/EURO, Amazon and Apple end up with European games in some breakdown, for UK fans who want to have full coverage of PL and Euro matches it would mean payments to Sky, Prime, DAZN, BT/Euro and Apple. Not next year but sooner rather than later and inevitably so imo.

Don
OP
I heard that DAZN/Apple tv were going to be trying to get the rights for PL matches in the UK , DAZN already has PL rights for live matches in North America and are just wanting to expand that to here. I could foresee the PL being Sky, DAZN and Prime, then if BT/EURO, Amazon and Apple end up with European games in some breakdown, for UK fans who want to have full coverage of PL and Euro matches it would mean payments to Sky, Prime, DAZN, BT/Euro and Apple. Not next year but sooner rather than later and inevitably so imo.
DAZN certainly do want PL rights, that was the main topic of the Times article I mentioned in my post however there's no guarantee that they'll get them. They were in negotiations to buy BT before BT and Discovery agreed their merger - ultimately the price proved too much for them and within the Times article I mentioned, they admit again that the numbers need to add up for them. There's an assumption that Apple will get involved too having recently agreed a deal for the MLS rights but it's far from certain that they'll bid, let alone outbid Sky, BT or Amazon.

As above, the next round of CL rights have already been secured by BT and Amazon so Apple won't be getting those matches anytime soon. It's anyone's guess as to who picks up the PL rights from 2025 however if I were to guess, I'd guess that Sky, BT and Amazon will pay what it takes to keep DAZN out and Apple won't make a big play. PL football is too important to Sky and BT, and the latter now has much deeper pockets than before.

Man of Honour
DAZN certainly do want PL rights, that was the main topic of the Times article I mentioned in my post however there's no guarantee that they'll get them. They were in negotiations to buy BT before BT and Discovery agreed their merger - ultimately the price proved too much for them and within the Times article I mentioned, they admit again that the numbers need to add up for them. There's an assumption that Apple will get involved too having recently agreed a deal for the MLS rights but it's far from certain that they'll bid, let alone outbid Sky, BT or Amazon.

As above, the next round of CL rights have already been secured by BT and Amazon so Apple won't be getting those matches anytime soon. It's anyone's guess as to who picks up the PL rights from 2025 however if I were to guess, I'd guess that Sky, BT and Amazon will pay what it takes to keep DAZN out and Apple won't make a big play. PL football is too important to Sky and BT, and the latter now has much deeper pockets than before.
I do think that Apple will struggle to make in roads into securing matches, DAZN I think are much more likely to be the company who move in, they've already got that PL connection and they have a vast number of subscribers and deep pockets, large enough on those two thing to rival SKY given half the chance. I suspect that by 2025 we'll be looking at 3 main channels for PL football (Sky primarily and then DAZN and Prime) , the other channels will probably chop up the Euro matches in some fashion. I could feasibly see one ending up with CL and one with the other Euro matches or something. I'd be willing to bet cash that by 2026 , if you are a football fan and want to see all comps, you'll end up needing 5 subscriptions. Would be nice really if they could all come together and do some sort of PL , Euro or PL + Euro subscription types , where you just get the matches across all the channels for 1 sub.

Don
OP
Only time will tell I guess however we know that DAZN had the opportunity to pick up both PL and CL rights in one swoop but wouldn't pay what BT wanted. As rich as their owner is, at some point DAZN have got to start making money because right now they're hugely loss making and their subscriber numbers are very small, certainly in the UK. One thing is for certain is the PL will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of DAZN and maybe even Apple joining the bidding.

Man of Honour
Only time will tell I guess however we know that DAZN had the opportunity to pick up both PL and CL rights in one swoop but wouldn't pay what BT wanted. As rich as their owner is, at some point DAZN have got to start making money because right now they're hugely loss making and their subscriber numbers are very small, certainly in the UK. One thing is for certain is the PL will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of DAZN and maybe even Apple joining the bidding.
They certainly will and no doubt, as is the way, the huge monies involved on yet more TV companies dipping their fingers in will increase the effects of Sky et al financial input over the last couple of decades, on UK football

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surely if Sky lost PL games that would be the end of them? The viewing figures don't even make sense for the figures they keep buying at and everyone without a sky sports sub is supplementing that sports package anyway. It's pathetic in 2023 that you can't watch every game home and away for your team without going illegal. Yet Ive watched all 56 of Montreal Canadiens games so far this season of 82.

I would much rather they could all bid for every game to have them on their platform. Then you just choose which platform you wanted to watch it on. If you prefer Sky watch it there, if you prefer Apple Watch it there. Or I'd happily just pay a fee to watch one teams games per month.

Man of Honour
People on here understand why they can't watch watch 3pm Saturday games live on TV in the UK yes?
Must admit that I dont really. I usually hear the argument that it stops people going to the games but thats just not true, stadiums are still packed (unless you are Man City :p ) on matches that are televised and besides that only x number of people can fit in a stadium anyway and that x is hugely less than the number of people who want to see a match. What is the reason why 3pm kickoffs arent televised in the UK?

Soldato
Must admit that I dont really. I usually hear the argument that it stops people going to the games but thats just not true, stadiums are still packed (unless you are Man City :p ) on matches that are televised and besides that only x number of people can fit in a stadium anyway and that x is hugely less than the number of people who want to see a match. What is the reason why 3pm kickoffs arent televised in the UK?
Strictly speaking it was the attendance of the lower league teams that would suffer according to the dude the lobbied for the blackout when it was introduced in the 60's.

I think its ****** as well :D

Last edited:
Don
OP
As supporters of PL teams we may not like it and maybe the law does need revisiting however there is a very valid argument that attendances of lower league sides will be effected by PL matches being televised at 3pm on a Saturday. Going back 10+ years ago when Sunderland were in the PL, Nial Quinn confirmed that even Sunderland, a PL side, suffered reduced attendances as a result of local pubs broadcasting their matches via illegal satellite broadcasts.

There are many supporters of PL sides that also follow a lower League side. For instance a noticeable chunk of Tranmere's home crowd will be supporters of Liverpool or Everton. How many of them will stop going to watch Tranmere if they could watch Liverpool/Everton at home or down the pub at 3pm on a Saturday? I don't know the answer btw but I'm sure they'd lose some fans.

There should be a fairly easy compromise here that satisfies everybody. The PL could offer more money to the EFL in return for their support in lifting the 3pm blackout however the PL don't want to give more money to the EFL and they don't want to lift the 3pm blackout either. If the PL cared about the 3pm blackout they could work a way around it very easily - like they do on the last day of the season, they could move matches to a Sunday or move kick-off times to later in the day but they don't because as things stand, there is no value for them to sell these extra games. Everybody who is willing to pay to watch football is already doing so, so Sky, BT etc aren't going to pay more for an extra x games and the PL aren't giving them away for free.

Man of Honour
I think its inevitable that the 3pm blackout will get lifted, I know that there are already discussions underway for the EFL to lift the 3pm blackout from the 2024-2025 season, once the EFL have lifted it I think its only a matter of time before the PL follows

fez

fez

Caporegime
The logical solution is to take some of the extra money from lifting the 3pm blackout and use it to pay for ticket to see common criminals to see the likes of tranmere play. They get a crowd, the club gets the money and the criminals get a cruel and unusual punishment and the rest of us get 3pm football we can watch. I see no downsides.

Back
Top Bottom