TV Fixtures and TV Rights thread.

Don
OP
Us, BT and Sky all hope BT get them, the PL clubs will be crossing their fingers for Amazon. Talk from a few journo's on twitter is that it could be tomorrow.

Man of Honour
It would be interesting if Amazon got it. Would they just include it with Prime? I suspect not...

Watching it on Twitch would be good.

Don
OP
They're selling more games this time and the end result is likely to be a small decrease in the total value of the domestic rights. More games does not equal more money for the PL unless the broadcasters believe these added games brings more value (viewers/subscribers) to them. When the final two packages of games are sold (the 4 rounds of games to be shown simultaneously) we're likely to see the price per game paid to be considerably less than what Sky & BT have paid for their games because whether a broadcaster is showing 5 games simultaneously or just 1 game, the total number of subscribers/viewers isn't going to change a great deal. Broadcasting 3pm's (which isn't likely to happen anyway) isn't the answer - what the PL want to do is create more, different kick-off days/times so they can sell more games but crucially for them not to be simultaneous broadcasts. I guess they're testing the water with the 8 Saturday 7.45pm games and if they're a success they'll add more games of these.

What the PL really want though is more competition to Sky. I wouldn't bet against the PL of accepting a smaller offer from an Amazon, Facebook, Netflix, YouTube for these remaining two packages than what BT & Sky might offer to allow them to test the market. The PL know that the best chance they have of getting another massive jump in revenue in 3 years is if one of these guys makes a serious play for the top packages.

Don
OP
Should be confirmed later today but Amazon are supposed to have bought the rights to 1 of the 2 unsold packages, with BT taking the other.

Don
OP
It will be interesting to see if they do include it in prime or up prime cost or just make a prime sport pass
They've only got 20 games spread across 2 match days - I can't imagine they can justify an increase in a monthly, year round subscription for the sake of 2 days worth of extra content. At a guess they may include it in prime and charge ppv for non prime customers.

It looks like they're just testing the market at the moment with the view of challenging Sky properly in 3 years time.

Soldato
They've only got 20 games spread across 2 match days - I can't imagine they can justify an increase in a monthly, year round subscription for the sake of 2 days worth of extra content. At a guess they may include it in prime and charge ppv for non prime customers.

It looks like they're just testing the market at the moment with the view of challenging Sky properly in 3 years time.
Ah that's not many then I guess, well I have prime anyway so would be good especially if included also if its put on like an episode so if I miss it due to work watch when home

Don
OP
Another bit of news coming out of the PL meeting today, a compromise has been reached on the distribution of overseas TV money. Unlike domestic rights, where they are partially split based on league performance and number of TV appearances, overseas TV money has always been split equally among the 20 clubs. Over the last year or so the big 6 clubs have been pushing for overseas money to be distributed on performance and until today had been out voted. It's being reported that a compromise has now been reached - £3.3bn (the current value of overseas rights) will continue to be split equally however any increase over and above that £3.3bn (which is a certainty) will be distributed based on League position.
Not too fussed about that, already have Prime so happy days as far as i'm concerned. Hopefully it'll be 4k!
As above, it looks like Amazon are just testing the market and if it goes well they could rival Sky for more packages in 3 years time - that's when it will hit supporters because if Amazon end up spending billions to win more rights there's no chance they'll not be passing that on to customers.

Caporegime
Sky will just overpay again if they try and do that, naturally that will end up being passed onto the customer so regardless of who gets the rights it's the consumer that gets bent over. Or you pay the same amount for less content.

Same thing happened when BT came in.

Man of Honour
Not too fussed about that, already have Prime so happy days as far as i'm concerned. Hopefully it'll be 4k!

Yup , likewise, Prime is already superb for its tv shows and the 2 hour delivery (which is handy when I've run out of booze and want some more but have now drunk too much to go round the shops and get some :) ) , so doesnt cost a penny extra and I will also now get some football thrown in too.

Even if they ended up eventually adding an extra charge, I would happily simply drop my BT Sport in favour of Amazon as I'm not sure I can go too much longer with BTs annoying pundits and commentators anyway.

Man of Honour
Another bit of news coming out of the PL meeting today, a compromise has been reached on the distribution of overseas TV money. Unlike domestic rights, where they are partially split based on league performance and number of TV appearances, overseas TV money has always been split equally among the 20 clubs. Over the last year or so the big 6 clubs have been pushing for overseas money to be distributed on performance and until today had been out voted. It's being reported that a compromise has now been reached - £3.3bn (the current value of overseas rights) will continue to be split equally however any increase over and above that £3.3bn (which is a certainty) will be distributed based on league position.

Makes sense really, I cant think that there are too many funds coming from Overseas rights because of the Overseas market wanting to show Stoke v West Ham (no offense to their supporters, just stating what seems obvious) , I would imagine that most overseas markets are paying because they want to see the bigger teams and if it wasnt for that, the overseas wouldnt even bother. As someone said the other day, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This seriously isn't fair for season ticket holders who have their fixtures pulled around all over the place making it very difficult to make plans.. And Saturday night footy is just a pain the ****.

Soldato
from a news source..... confirmation of when the games will be shown by Amazon.

Amazon has secured one of the smaller packages of Premier League games, but an important one over the festive period. Prime subscribers will get access to the first midweek December games rather than the big weekend fixtures, and Amazon will also be streaming all of the festive Boxing Day fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom